What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOO in Adelaide in 2020

Marlins

Juniors
Now we just have to take the GF from Sydney and we can finally start to become a national comp :wink:

Valheru

Coach
Great news

Been saying it for ages.

Both NSW and QLD to host 1 game per year and the other game on a 4 year rotation between Melbourne x 2, Perth and Adelaide. Maybe in the future there is an opportunity for that 2nd Melbourne game to be taken elsewhere but that looks a ways off.

jim_57

Staff member
Great news

Been saying it for ages.

Both NSW and QLD to host 1 game per year and the other game on a 4 year rotation between Melbourne x 2, Perth and Adelaide. Maybe in the future there is an opportunity for that 2nd Melbourne game to be taken elsewhere but that looks a ways off.

Been saying the same thing for a long time, a 2-1 home advantage for no particular reason is ridiculous.

What you say although I'd look at Auckland as well, I seem to recall they were interested a while back. Maybe a 5 year cycle something like this:
Melbourne, Adelaide, Auckland, Melbourne, Perth. Even add a 6th game and auction if off if it becomes a real sought after event, maybe even Internationally if there is any interested parties/cities/stadiums. I'm sure the company promoting the 2025 World Cup would love to land an Origin on the West Coast.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm sure the company promoting the 2025 World Cup would love to land an Origin on the West Coast.

I'm very skeptical about SOO in non-RL markets.
Don't get me wrong, we absolutely should take events overseas.
However.

Out of club, state, and international, I would argue that SOO has the least significant brand recognition overseas and the most value domestically.

If I was to stage a top class Rugby League game in the USA, in order of brand recognition I would think:
1 - Australia/New Zealand/England
2 - Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne
a far 3rd - New South Wales v Queensland

And while club and international games are plentiful, SOO games are by definition a scarce 3 game series, so to take 1 away is a big sacrifice in domestic markets for little gain elsewhere.

King hit

Coach
An origin game would look awesome at the Adelaide oval despite not being designed for League. It's worth a try trying to win over the public in South Australia.

jim_57

Staff member
I'm very skeptical about SOO in non-RL markets.
Don't get me wrong, we absolutely should take events overseas.
However.

Out of club, state, and international, I would argue that SOO has the least significant brand recognition overseas and the most value domestically.

If I was to stage a top class Rugby League game in the USA, in order of brand recognition I would think:
1 - Australia/New Zealand/England
2 - Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne
a far 3rd - New South Wales v Queensland

And while club and international games are plentiful, SOO games are by definition a scarce 3 game series, so to take 1 away is a big sacrifice in domestic markets for little gain elsewhere.

I agree in principal. But another way to look at it is return on investment for these cities and what is going to bring them the most. What makes Origin the biggest seller (to new markets) definetely isn't it's relevance but as mentioned in the article the amount of people that will travel to follow it, pumping money in these economies.

Internationals unfortunately don't have this kind of pull, I'm sure they could draw similar crowds if half the promotion, hype and media coverage was thrown at them that we see for Origin. From the USA's prespective, how is it sold? Selling Australia V England or South Sydney V Melbourne may interest more locals by name recognition, but when the city asks how many fans they can expect to come over with these teams Origin probably has everything covered. I don't see it hapoening though, looking at the shitfight for England V NZ they'll be struggling to get much content.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The myth that only NSW give up home games continues despite it not being remotely true. This is so painful. The game's being exposed to different markets, that's a good thing. Also all but ensures sell-outs at Syd & Bne.

2006 - NSW gives up one to Melbourne
2009 - QLD gives up one to Melbourne
Then a new cycle commences from 2012
2012 - 1 Syd 1 Bne 1 Mel
2013 - 2 Syd 1 Bne
2014 - 2 Bne 1 Syd
2015 - 1 Syd 1 Bne 1 Mel
2016 - 2 Syd 1 Bne
2017 - 2 Bne 1 Syd
2018 - 1 Syd 1 Bne 1 Mel

From 2019 it shifts again with QLD giving up a game to Perth and 2020 NSW giving up a game to Adelaide.

I'd imagine Melbourne gets it back in 2021 to continue the cycle but who knows.

Last edited:

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Now we just have to take the GF from Sydney and we can finally start to become a national comp :wink:

find an 80k stadium and then you can chirp, you lot struggle to fill your 55k one.

there should be 3 games of origin at homebush based on revenue.

Valheru

Coach
Been saying the same thing for a long time, a 2-1 home advantage for no particular reason is ridiculous.

What you say although I'd look at Auckland as well, I seem to recall they were interested a while back. Maybe a 5 year cycle something like this:
Melbourne, Adelaide, Auckland, Melbourne, Perth. Even add a 6th game and auction if off if it becomes a real sought after event, maybe even Internationally if there is any interested parties/cities/stadiums. I'm sure the company promoting the 2025 World Cup would love to land an Origin on the West Coast.

Yeah I considered NZ but I just have no idea if it would work or not. By definition there are no NZ players so who knows?

At least with the likes of Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide the locals see it as the biggest event rugby league can offer so they are likely to go if they have any interest in the sport. Added with a healthy travelling contingent you probably sell out every time.

I feel NZ fans would rather more Kiwi games and/or their own version of state of origin but if they are interested, I suppose it is worth a shot.

jim_57

Staff member
Yeah I considered NZ but I just have no idea if it would work or not. By definition there are no NZ players so who knows?

At least with the likes of Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide the locals see it as the biggest event rugby league can offer so they are likely to go if they have any interest in the sport. Added with a healthy travelling contingent you probably sell out every time.

I feel NZ fans would rather more Kiwi games and/or their own version of state of origin but if they are interested, I suppose it is worth a shot.

I'm definetely not saying it should be instead of NZ internationals, but the more big crowd and media attention drawing games in NZ the better for RL there IMO. I just remember rumours they wanted one years ago so I'd imagine the government would still be willing to chip in for it.

I have no issue with the game going to Adelaide.......the issue I have is how far away the sidelines are on an oval....

Reactions: Vee

some11

Referee
find an 80k stadium and then you can chirp, you lot struggle to fill your 55k one.

yCkZCoL.png

King hit

Coach
I have no issue with the game going to Adelaide.......the issue I have is how far away the sidelines are on an oval....

That's the main problem with the game being there. I watched the Wallabies at the MCG years ago and while being at the MCG was a great experience it was bloody hard to see the game at times as the ground isn't designed for Rugby and you were far away from the action.

jim_57

Staff member
Just hate how the we have to surrender home ground advantage in Origin for it.

I don't see why a 3 game series should give 1 team a 2-1 home game adavantage every year. It's not a stretch to say it compromises the fairness of the series even if only a bit.

The argument that if one team gets 2 games one year then the following year it's reversed and that makes it fair is ridiculous to me. It makes both series skewed towards one team.

I hope the NRL continues this trend every year now.

Latest posts