What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tom Johnstone

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I hate to be that rumour guy... But apparently Tom Johnstone has been approached by an NRL club. Only reason i'm opening up this thread is because Millward has publicly stated we are on the hunt for an outside back, and there's no shortage of pommy connections in our side.
No word on whether that club is the Dragons, but I bloody hope it is. The kid is a speed demon and he has plenty of size.

Happy for this thread to be de-bunked after a few days, but I thought it might be a nice little discussion topic, whether he ends up in the NRL or not. Always love chatting about young talent.

Here are some highlights, he is clearly the best winger in the Super League by far and away -

Last edited:

Carlton

Juniors
I hate to be that rumour guy... But apparently Tom Johnstone has been approached by an NRL club. No word on whether that club is the Dragons, but I bloody hope it is. The kid is a speed demon and he has plenty of size.

Happy for this thread to be de-bunked after a few days, but I thought it might be a nice little discussion topic, whether he ends up in the NRL or not. Always love chatting about young talent.

Here are some highlights, he is clearly the best winger in the Super League by far and away -

Interesting, if the move of Nene to the left and Nighty to the right is correct, there may be something here as he is a right side player. He's young, has speed and size and would leave a space in the centres for Lomax.

Personally, I love all the rumours and theories even if they don't come true. Just so long as they aren't passed off as fact.

Changa

Juniors
We are on the lookout for an outside back, and the pommie connection makes sense.

I do wonder though why so few backs from the UK excel here. Tomkins, J Burgess and Mathers to name a few who have failed to live upto the hype over here in recent years.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Looks to have some pace but it is SL. However, it showed nothing of his defensive capabilities.
There have been a few good wingers come out of SL, but not many, Offiah arguably the best IMO. But for every good one there are those like Joe Burgess who just couldnt handle the upgrade to NRL level although they fly in SL.
Would spend a lot of time in Reserves me thinks.
If we are looking to SL i'd rather we approched the likes of Kallum Watkins, now he can play.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
If you're wondering where's the catch:

He's returning from 10 months off with a ruptured ACL .

Yeah noticed that too. He seems to be be off to a flyer this season though. Hasn't lost any of his pace at all. Hopefully he maintains that, even if he's not coming to the NRL, it's good to see young players persevering and bouncing back after long-term injuries.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
He seems to have the attacking abilities. A bit of Mitch Brennan, Martin Offiah and Mark Gasnier. MacDonald wants to play for PNG and Nightingale is retiring so wing stocks are low. We never replaced Sailor or Brett Morris or Gasnier or Cooper so they had better
get their act into gear as the succession planning is pathetic unlike the Storm. I notice a Coyne is playing for St. George S G Ball and wonder if he is related to Mark.

hazzbeen

Bench
If true we would be crazy not to chance him . Big young strapping lad with pace to burn oh yea we have abundance of pace in our back line we don't need him . Yea right ?

ouryear

Juniors
Looks to have some pace but it is SL. However, it showed nothing of his defensive capabilities.
There have been a few good wingers come out of SL, but not many, Offiah arguably the best IMO. But for every good one there are those like Joe Burgess who just couldnt handle the upgrade to NRL level although they fly in SL.
Would spend a lot of time in Reserves me thinks.
If we are looking to SL i'd rather we approched the likes of Kallum Watkins, now he can play.
SL club are currently the world champions.

And the Poms came very close to beating us in the world cup final.
0/4 , or 0/6?

Better than the nsw origin team.

Old Timer

Coach
FMD here we go again
As soon as some 2 bit player comes into discussion you people find a way to instantly fit them into our team because despite your declaration that we must have youth, everyone else’s youth is always better than ours.
ESL is full of pensioners and never was’s typified by the side Hull will field against us and the fact someone goes ok in that comp it’s like an aphrodisiac to you.
f**k Johnstone and shame on anyone for participating in Kiama Saints poll, arguing the toss about this and that and now seeing some other would be option.
I’d keep Nighty before I’d sign some pommie cream puff and for me to say that it sure shows what I think of pommie backs.

Latest posts