What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

blacksafake

First Grade
We need all our experience players to play at there best.
But we also need some of young guy to play out of there skin.
I mean dufty, host and luc.
As will as fringe player like.
Herbert , garrick, lomax and field ect need to be playing out of there skins.
Which will put pressure on all the first 17 and if someone is not playing well.
We have ready made replacements.
I think that we sould be aiming for a top 6 finish.
Anything less is a failure.
Agree Samy.
Lets just hope that L plate is prepared to make changes & not just the standard tried & true ones he is known to do.

blacksafake

First Grade
That's the thing. Last year we were widely tipped for bottom 2 or 3. We overachieved and the Board overreacted and extended Mcgregor. Well, this year we are widely tipped for around 6th-8th. The same principle as last year should again apply, if we don't finish at least 6th McGregor should be shown the door.
Exactly but we all know this wont happen.

getsmarty

Immortal
Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop might be the NRL's most dynamic halves pairing
News
r0_0_5315_3272_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NEW RECRUIT: Ben Hunt joined the Red V on a six million dollar deal after 2017 and all eyes will be on the former Brisbane Bronco this season. Photo: John Veage
Not since the days of Matthew Head and Ben Hornby have the Dragons had a halfback they can lean on.

It’s been the Josh McCrone show in the last couple of seasons and although the current Toronto Wolfpack playmaker gave the Red V a spark here and there, he didn’t bring the level of consistency you need from a first grade leader.

Will Ben Hunt be able to provide that level of leadership? Only time will tell.

Some will say a number seven is only as good as the five eighth next to him and in the case of Ben Hunt, he’s walking into an ideal situation with English international Gareth Widdop set to wear the number six jersey all season.

Widdop has gone from a 20-year-old, Craig Bellamy apprentice in 2010 to an irreplaceable part of St George Illawarra’s roster today.

His partnership with Ben Hunt not only shapes as one of the best halves pairings in the league, but could give the Dragons the boost they need to play finals footy.

Where can you see this dynamic duo live in the flesh? Glen Willow Sporting Complex on February 24.

The Charity Shield is known for its high-paced and passionate encounters and both the Dragons and the Bunnies always seem to throw their strongest sides onto the paddock so you can bank on seeing the Hunt-Widdop combo run around.

Ben Hunt says he is enjoying his football at the Dragons after coming off a triumphant World Cup campaign.
— The Dragons (@NRL_Dragons) February 6, 2018

Productive halfbacks like Hunt don’t grow on trees and club legend Shaun Timmins thinks the signing will work wonders for his beloved franchise.

“Ben’s a quality player having played for Queensland and Australia,” he said.

“He’ll come to the Dragons as a genuine number seven which is probably something we haven’t had for a while.

“It’s quite exciting and we’ll be looking for him to go to that next level with his game.”

The Dragons 2017 campaign was reviewed as a disappointing one considering the late-season plummet, but Timmins hasn’t forgotten the unanimous doubt hurled at the club by the NRL cognoscenti in the lead up to the season.

“Last year we were written off before the season even started and then we came out of the blocks really well,” he said.

“We were sitting at the top of the ladder half way through the season so it was disappointing to miss out on the finals.

“I’m sure the team will be working on their consistency but hopefully now with the quality they’ve brought in it’s going to help them at the end of the season.”

Don’t think for a second the Dragons have forgotten about the devastating loss they experienced in round 22 against the Rabbitohs.

With revenge adding to a 35-year-old tradition, the 2018 Charity Shield might be the juiciest one yet.

http://www.mudgeeguardian.com.au/story/5224558/dragons-halves-duo-set-to-rock-glen-willow/

Life's Good

Coach

possm

Coach
I would love to know what went through Benny Hunts mind after week 1 training when he realized in horror that he had no Jimmy the Jet anywhere outside him.

If Sims was in our back line, he would be our quickest back, shittt!!

Dufty aside.
And yet Lafai, Aitken, Nightingale and Mann were all extended last season meaning both Millward and Mary think that these players are quick enough.

Life's Good

Coach
And yet Lafai, Aitken, Nightingale and Mann were all extended last season meaning both Millward and Mary think that these players are quick enough.
Well, we do have speedy players coming through so the possibility remains that was also part of the reason Hunt signed. He could see what is developing in the medium term.

ouryear

Juniors
Yes Possum, damn crazy decision, but maybe it was because every decent fast backline player they approached said no thanks, not with your coaching set up. Ben Hunt only said yes for the million $$$$

Crush

Coach
Yes Possum, damn crazy decision, but maybe it was because every decent fast backline player they approached said no thanks, not with your coaching set up. Ben Hunt only said yes for the million $$$$
Ouryear, Im not being funny but seriously how do you know that players are knocking back our offers because of our coaching set up? Why is it that guys like Vaughan, Frizzell, Widdop etc are re-signing and they are already in the club and playing under that coaching set up. These guys are world class and could have left the club and got big contracts with other clubs if they were not happy with the coaching set up.
We don't have a great coach that will draw players to the club but to say that all the players we are approaching are saying no because of our coach is a bit of a stretch.

ouryear

Juniors
Ouryear, Im not being funny but seriously how do you know that players are knocking back our offers because of our coaching set up? Why is it that guys like Vaughan, Frizzell, Widdop etc are re-signing and they are already in the club and playing under that coaching set up. These guys are world class and could have left the club and got big contracts with other clubs if they were not happy with the coaching set up.
We don't have a great coach that will draw players to the club but to say that all the players we are approaching are saying no because of our coach is a bit of a stretch.

Crush, I said maybe., see my text above.

How do any of us know anything written on here, most of what is written are opinions, ideas, thoughts and rumours, not much fact is written.

So I will reword it.

In my opinion, we have approached 3 backline players who each said no thankyou.

Life's Good

Coach
Crush, I said maybe., see my text above.

How do any of us know anything written on here, most of what is written are opinions, ideas, thoughts and rumours, not much fact is written.

So I will reword it.

In my opinion, we have approached 3 backline players who each said no thankyou.
That’s a fair opinion & if that is the case then I don’t have a problem that we missed out as we have promising juniors coming through in the outside backs whom I’m hoping will get a run at some point(Origin, injuries, form).
Mary has stated he has the team he wants. If he can’t have us 6-8 & in the semis then he should get punted paving the way for a better credentialed coach to take us forward.

ouryear

Juniors
I don't think he signed just for the money. I think he could see broncos are heading downhill this year and he won't have to deal with broncos fans.
Seriously. Broncos will be in the Top 4.

They have lost Hunt plus what other key players?

Coached by Wayne who almost got the poms to beat a combined QLD NSW team called Australia in the recent world cup.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Whatever- just as long there is not too much pressure placed upon Hunt and Graham . After all they can only do so much and it will be up to the rest of the team to do the hard yards as is expected of both Hunt and Graham . It could take up to a month for the new boys to find their rhythm and until that time the Dragons will need to look towards the old hands already in the team to secure their wins .

JDHD

Juniors
Seriously. Broncos will be in the Top 4.

They have lost Hunt plus what other key players?

Coached by Wayne who almost got the poms to beat a combined WLD NSW team called Australia in the recent world cup.

Anyone who thinks the Broncos won't be at least in the eight and probably pushing for a top 4 spot is delusional.