What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
John McMartin has passed away. Liver cancer. RIP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McMartin_(rugby_league)

He was the best percentage winning rake back then in the seventies. If we had him back in the years 76, 77 and 78 I recon we would of won our maiden premierships much sooner then we did.

That's why the signing of Steve Edge was one of the most crucial and best signings the club has ever made of a player from another club. He finally gave us an average equal split of possession of around the 50% mark. God knows what those top late seventies teams Parra had back then, would of been able to do with McMartin's 70%+ winning average. I used to get soooo frustrated watching us almost always struggling to win possession.

May he rest in peace.

84 Baby

Referee
I reckon even the NRL don't know the answer to that one.
Quick aside - guess what page comes up 2nd if you google "development list nrl salary cap 2018"

But anyway I thought it was an interesting point. Development players can't have played NRL level, but could they have be/been in a NRL top 30 at some stage and not played NRL level?

Get to June 30 - promote Reed Mahoney to top 30 as injury cover (give him a bit of extra pay as incentive to stick with club long term) - end of season, assuming he hadn't played, drop him back to the development list. Gives you flexibility for next season, Mahoney gets more cash that he wouldn't have otherwise received. Worse case scenario you've picked a dud and have to carry him in your top 30, but he's probably on a short term contract anyway.

It's fairly important too as we expect most clubs to use their 29/30th spots just upgrading development players and it's going to get crowded very quickly if clubs have to add 2 rookies every season

lingard

Coach
A great player back when hookers actually had to win scrums. Followed Billy Raynor in the Eels 12 shirt and lost nothing by comparison. Im pretty sure he was selected for NSW at least once.
Played some first grade with his brother Mal.
RIP Macca. Loved watching your efforts in the 60s.

Pretty sure he was regarded as the second best hooker in the league at one point. He had a terrific scrum winning percentage I remember. I forget who his main rival was in Sydney rugby league in those days. Terrific player. Along with Edge and Raynor, one of the three best hookers this club has ever had. Did he ever play for Australia? I think he might have come close.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Pretty sure he was regarded as the second best hooker in the league at one point. He had a terrific scrum winning percentage I remember. I forget who his main rival was in Sydney rugby league in those days. Terrific player. Along with Edge and Raynor, one of the three best hookers this club has ever had. Did he ever play for Australia? I think he might have come close.
Ian Walsh was The Dragons hooker. He and Noel Kelly were the gun hookers although Ned also played prop. I think Fred Jones may have been at Manly and maybe Elwyn Walters at The Bunnys. Some good hookers around which limited Maccas rep career. One game for NSW is all I recall. I dont think he played for City either. Definitely not Australia. Was good enough though.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Ian Walsh was The Dragons hooker. He and Noel Kelly were the gun hookers although Ned also played prop. I think Fred Jones may have been at Manly and maybe Elwyn Walters at The Bunnys. Some good hookers around which limited Maccas rep career. One game for NSW is all I recall. I dont think he played for City either. Definitely not Australia. Was good enough though.
He played several games for NSW. It might have been a bit before your time.

Latest posts