What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta trial

Frederick

Staff member
Knights name Eels trial match team
Author
Newcastle Knights
Timestamp
Tue 20 Feb 2018, 04:49 PM
Share on social media
Coach Nathan Brown has named a 17-man team for Saturday’s sold out trial match against the Parramatta Eels at Maitland’s No.1 Sportsground.

It will be a new-look spine, with Kalyn Ponga named at fullback, Connor Watson and Mitchell Pearce in the halves and Slade Griffin starting the match at hooker.

Tautau Moga and Daniel Saifiti will both play their first match of the pre-season following off-season shoulder surgery, however Mitch Barnett will miss the match as a pre-caution (shoulder).

Saturday’s trial will be the final match before the season proper kicks off on Friday March 9.

“A good performance this week can help people start the year in first grade,” Brown said on Tuesday.

“There are some spots that we’re pretty settled on and regardless of how certain people go this week, those guys need to know the coach has got confidence in them.

“One average team performance is not going to dictate team selection but on the other hand, for a lot of our other younger players that have had an easier run into first grade, they need to understand to be a good first grader, you’ve got to play consistently well for long periods, week in week out.”

The coach indicated he could bring some additional players into the squad midway through the second half on Saturday.

“The last 15 minutes we’ll probably make a fair amount of changes, where for a good 50 to 60 minutes, we’ll have a main stable 17 and then whichever guys played really well in Reserve Grade, might get some first-grade in,” Brown added.

TRIAL MATCH TEAM:

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
3. Sione Mata’utia
4. Tautau Moga
5. Nathan Ross
6. Connor Watson
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Daniel Saifiti
9. Slade Griffin
10. Jacob Lillyman
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Aidan Guerra
13. Herman Ese’ese
14. Danny Levi
15. Chris Heighington
16. Jamie Buhrer
17. Jacob Saifiti

Big surprise there is Herman starting at lock and Buhrer off the bench.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/02/20/knights-name-eels-trial-match-team/

PhilGould

Bench
I'm a fan of having Daifiti, Lillyman and Herman in the middle to start games. Think that bench will struggle though.

perverse

Referee
Uh... bench captain?

It's good to see DSaf has put forward a good case to remain as a starter, too.

Burwood

Bench
Not sure how I feel about Levi and Buhrer both off the bench, especially with Griffin starting the match- I thought our strongest 17 would only have two of those players.

Barnett coming back might see Herman shift back onto the bench which will give us a bit more size and impact.

Overall, that team looks a million times better than the one named for round 1 last year.

Bartwah

Juniors
With Barnett injured, EseEse takes his spot. When Barnett’s back. Ese to the starting prop position, Dan Saf to the bench, and J Saf back to Reggies. Absolutely love this team

Old dog

Juniors
Think most of us would pick that 13 with Barnet at 13 and possibly Buhrer instead of Fitzy, got to be happy with it.
The 17 hold no surprises overall.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Not sure how I feel about Levi and Buhrer both off the bench, especially with Griffin starting the match- I thought our strongest 17 would only have two of those players.

Barnett coming back might see Herman shift back onto the bench which will give us a bit more size and impact.

Overall, that team looks a million times better than the one named for round 1 last year.

Seems like brown wont be using Buhrer at dummyhalf unless he is forced to...

If so, i think its a good move. He is a solid hooker but for me he always plays his best in the backrow.

Glendale

Juniors

Yeah as Doctor hinted above Buhrer will be used a bit through the middle as well as on the edge, Slade and Levi will share the hooker duties.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Interesting team selections especially seeing Ese'ese at lock and Buhrer on the bench. The bench looks a little small but when Barnett is back in the mix I think that will change.

Spot On

Coach
I must be one of the few who hopes Fitzy gets a gig every week.

I must be blinded by his ability to score a try only when he needs a contract????

Bartwah

Juniors

I must be blinded by his ability to score a try only when he needs a contract????
Continued the form with Melbourne 2.0 last week, so I’ll take that as a win lol

Still Nutty

Juniors

I'm more happy to see that he has impressed Brownie and the coaching staff enough to give him the opportunity - he has obviously earned it.

The trick for him now if to maintain that form and keep it...if he does, we are certainly going to have a potent attacking forward in 2018 and that bodes well for our chances of fighting our way into the 8 at the end of the season proper

slotmachine

First Grade
I don't think taking a trial seriously is a change, brownie selected his round 1 side for the raiders trial last year

PhilGould

Bench
The reserve grade squad to play Wentworthville in the curtain raiser

1. Nick Meaney
2. Ken Sio
3. Matt Allwood
4. Cory Denniss
5. Tom Hughes
6. Jack Cogger
7. Brock Lamb
8. Josh King
9. Christian Hazard