What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Lodge Arrested in New York

lynx000

Juniors
The DA were happy to go with lesser charges to save the expense of a trial and locking the scum up when they could just ship him back to where he came from.

Sound familiar cause we pretty much hear the same thing with arab and Africa youth crime here just that they did it.

Why the NRL let him back in is beyond me.

As to relating it to the broncos I couldn't give a rats which club took him on, Id feel the same about any club that took him on.

Fair enough, I have no issue with that if you hold those views across the board. I similarly would have no issue if the NRL were to adopt a consistent policy of one serious strike and you are gone. But they haven't and my issue with a lot of the posters in here is that they seem to be adopting a different approach to Lodge compared to other players who have transgressed.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Can you then explain why Lodge is in a different category to Packer, Avua'a or any of the others?

1. Lodge previously got done beating up his girlfriend.

2. He got a mickey mouse penalty. although so did auvaa, but dv seems to be treated differently

3. The nature of the rampage was off the charts. 4 or 5 victims. Random home invasion. Stuff of headlines.

4. There is an outstanding judgment that hasnt been paid.

5. He plays for your club.

Eion

First Grade
He is no mate of mine. I don't know why he did not attend the civil trial. It maybe the case that he had no money to afford lawyers given that he incurred apparently $100,000 in costs in the criminal proceeding which he borrowed from his parents. It could be that he had legal advice to not contest it, I don't know.

Me saying they are all about the money is a fact. It is not a value judgment, you have taken it that way. You all seem to be failing to address that the family is happy for him to be back playing NRL level so he can earn the money. His lawyer also suggested that he go and play french rugby to get a big contract. The inference I draw from that is that they are interested in getting the full quantum of their compensation, and good on them. The reality is that unless they can get that judgment enforced in Australia, they are going to have difficulties.

If the incident happened to me, I would most definitely be pursuing compensation and trying to get as much as I could. In my view, what was awarded was excessive in the circumstances, but that is my opinion and it is premised on what would be awarded over here for a similar incident.

I have put forward reasons for questioning the size of the award, if you do not agree with them that is your right.

What is your position Eion? Is it that it is okay for Packer and all of the others to be welcomed back to the game and not Lodge? Or are you of the belief that if you commit a serious offence that is it you are gone for all time?
The nrl have never been consistent, on anything. But lodge shouldn’t be playing

insert.pause

First Grade
The NRL has set the precedent that people convicted of violent offences can come back, so on that basis it’s a bit rich to say he can’t be registered.

However if you were to say that none of them can, I would probably agree.
I have said none of them should.

skeepe

Immortal
If the incident happened to me, I would most definitely be pursuing compensation and trying to get as much as I could. In my view, what was awarded was excessive in the circumstances, but that is my opinion and it is premised on what would be awarded over here for a similar incident.
Ok then, how much compensation do you think is fair for destruction of property, a brutal assault, being forced to move out of your home because of the trauma, fearing for your family’s lives, and having your son so traumatised he has night terrors and can’t even hear a doorbell without freaking out, possibly for the rest of his life.

How much would you consider fair for all that, given that at the very least their son is going to need extensive therapy to get over what happened?

Meth

Staff member
Speaking to the title of the thread, don't you mean 'NRL STAR Matthew Lodge Arrested in New York'?

no name

Coach
We’ve let some real pieces of sh*t continue to play in the NRL ......but this f*cken guy
The word continue is interesting.
He already had his contract ripped up for a previous incident.
The NRL should have felt insulted that the Broncos even attempted to get him registered.
The fact that they accepted it is farcical.
All this free ammo for media and non RL people to put the game down in the lead up to round 1 just because uncle Wayne is short on front rowers.

no name

Coach
I actually felt sorry for Darius Boyd in his interview the other day, having to defend the signing of this scumbag and even called him a ‘good bloke.’

Jason Simmons

Juniors
The word continue is interesting.
He already had his contract ripped up for a previous incident.
The NRL should have felt insulted that the Broncos even attempted to get him registered.
The fact that they accepted it is farcical.
All this free ammo for media and non RL people to put the game down in the lead up to round 1 just because uncle Wayne is short on front rowers.

Short on front rowers? That’s a laugh. You blokes are playing Jai Arrow there...

As to grub signings, blokes who glass their missus are alright to sign tho, eh?

Canard

Immortal
Ok then, how much compensation do you think is fair for destruction of property, a brutal assault, being forced to move out of your home because of the trauma, fearing for your family’s lives, and having your son so traumatised he has night terrors and can’t even hear a doorbell without freaking out, possibly for the rest of his life.

How much would you consider fair for all that, given that at the very least their son is going to need extensive therapy to get over what happened?

As much as the Broncos think is fair.

The lesson here is that Uncle Wayne can do whatever he likes and gives no f**ks about the game.

Reactions: zmt

no name

Coach
Short on front rowers? That’s a laugh. You blokes are playing Jai Arrow there...

As to grub signings, blokes who glass their missus are alright to sign tho, eh?
The Titans were short on front rowers so went and signed a young player to fill that gap. Uncle Wayne’s answer was to sign a convicted grub.
I don’t reckon Bird shouldn’t have been signed by the Titans, either.

Nice diversion tactics but.

Reactions: zmt

some11

Referee
ITT:

> Broncos fans complaining about packer et al. not having 75 page threads
> Proceed to throw petrol on the fire on this thread's way to 75 pages

I don't get trying to defend a club on here, you're not changing anyone's mind.