What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

getsmarty

Immortal
Marshall the middle man to Hunt and Widdop

Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop made contact with Benji Marshall to discuss how they'd combine before the ex-Brisbane half's NRL arrival at St George Illawarra.

Updated Updated 4 hours ago

St George Illawarra halves Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop revealed how Benji Marshall played a match-making role between the pair last season.

Widdop and Marshall combined for the Dragons for two-and-a-half seasons on the latter's return to the NRL from rugby union.

He then shifted to Brisbane last season, where he played alongside Hunt at the Broncos as Wayne Bennett rotated his halves around the pair, along with Anthony Milford and Kodi Nikorima.

Hunt will on Thursday night play his first match for the Dragons, kicking off a $6 million deal which could last for as long as six seasons.

But he said he made of talking to Marshall, in particular about how he would combine with Widdop, before signing the deal.

"I had little chats with Benji about it. He had nothing but good things to say about the place," Hunt told AAP.

"I mainly asked him about the players. What different guys were like.

"I definitely asked him about Gareth.

"He's one of the biggest players in the team. He's the captain and he leads the boys around.

"He only had good things to say."

Hunt's arrival should be a boost to Widdop, given he has been without a recognised high-profile halfback since he arrived at the Dragons in 2014.

Since then, he's played with seven No.7s, however, the majority of which have been five-eighths wearing the halfback's jersey.

And the England international said he too had made contact with Marshall, who will play his first game back at the Wests Tigers this weekend, to find out what Hunt was like before his arrival.

"... he said he's going to be good for the team," Widdop said.

"He said he's pretty laid back, not too much affects him.

"Obviously he's coming to a big club as a halfback coming to the Dragons, I don't think that'll bother him.

"He'll just let his football do the talking."

Source: AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/marshall-the-middle-man-to-hunt-and-widdop

Frank Facer

First Grade
NRL preview: St George Illawarra Dragons need to let Ben Hunt play his own style, says Andrew Johns
http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F08%2F15%2F17%2F06%2Fmel.jpg
By Melanie Dinjaski
6 hours ago
http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F03%2F07%2F16%2F36%2Fhuntalfie_env.jpg

The St George Illawarra Dragons have a lot of improvement to do if they're to be a force in the 2018 season, says Nine NRL commentator Andrew Johns.

While coach Paul McGregor has said the current squad is among the best he's ever coached at the Dragons, Johns says their pre-season form suggested there's still a lot of work to do.

"I saw them play Hull, I thought they were really poor that game and then I watched the Charity Shield, and the Rabbitohs didn't have their best team in and the Rabbitohs smoked 'em," Johns said.

Johns says the major focus for the club has to be allowing $6 million new recruit Ben Hunt to play to his preferred style.

"I have got a problem with the way the Dragons are playing with their attack," Johns said.

"Ben Hunt is a runner of the ball and I compare him when he plays at his best he is exactly the same as the Broncos greatest ever halfback Allan Langer.

"Allan Langer wasn't the best passer or the best kicker, but running the ball off a quick play-the-ball he terrorised opposition forwards.

"Get Alfie trying to ball play and play like Cooper Cronk, it would have been awful.

"First two games I watched Ben Hunt, he didn't play to his strengths at all. He was going to the line and trying to play that Cronk sort of play, playing those out the back plays which doesn't suit his style.

"He's there under a lot of pressure this year. We all know he's on huge money and expectation for him to carry the Dragons forward. I think they have to let him play his natural game. What I saw in the first two games worried me."

Inside ‘Tonya’ the Dragons bus
Play Video
Inside ‘Tonya’ the Dragons bus
Johns also cited some concerns over English veteran James Graham's prospects this season, and said they will feel the loss of another front rower in the off-season.

"At one stage he [Graham] was one of the best front-rowers in the game. But you're only born on this rugby league earth to have so many bumps. So I don't know how much petrol is left in the tank for James.

"I hope he proves me wrong but he is getting on and he has to do a lot of the tough work up front.

"I think a huge loss for the Dragons has been Russell Packer. He was their big strong man in the pack."

The Dragons will be without Josh Dugan this year too, after the NRL star signed with Cronulla. But Johns is confident young up-and-coming players Matt Dufty and Jai Field will be able to pick up the slack.

"Will be interesting to see how they use these young players at the back, whether they free them up and let them play off off-loads, to use their speed and evasion or they just purely use them on these set plays," Johns said.

For the ninth Immortal it all equates to a tough year for the Dragons, still needing time to gel and having lost some key names. He doesn't believe it will make them a finals contender this season.

"I haven't got them in the eight," Johns said.

"I think there's six certainties to make the eight and there's a lot of teams scrapping for that seventh and eighth position, I just can't see the Dragons being there."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/03/07/15/03/nrl-news-st-george-illawarra-dragons-2018-season-preview
I am pretty sure that Mathew Johns said last year that James Graham would have been the best signing Newcastle could make, or something along those lines.

I am also pretty sure that Newcastle made a big play for Graham too.

mickeylane

Bench
Expect to see a couple of very early tackle attacking kicks by Ben hunt to McDonald's side say tackle 2 or 3

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Hunt controlled the game beautifully tonight. The intercept was absolutely the turning point, we were up against it before that moment. His long and short kicking game were excellent, he's clearly spent a lot of time on it.

Isn't it nice to finally have a quality halfback!!

hazzbeen

Bench
Hunt controlled the game beautifully tonight. The intercept was absolutely the turning point, we were up against it before that moment. His long and short kicking game were excellent, he's clearly spent a lot of time on it.

Isn't it nice to finally have a quality halfback!!
Spot on ...

nontime111

Juniors
whats you beef with Goldie? he was a Goldie!

but yeah, Hunt kicks his arse from here till next wednesday! how good was that performance! ????

I didn't even like Goldthorpe. Hunt is so much better than Goldthorpe ever was

Goldthorpe is the only pure half we have had over the past 20 years.

Am not saying Goldthorpe is better than Hunt.

Ben Hunt had a great debut.

Makes us far more potent.

He has already relieved Widdop of all the pressure he is usually under.

May have also helped Cam McInnes by providing Brisbane with an additional quality player to focus on, thus giving Cam greater opportunity to scoot from Dummy half.

Dufty is also looking the goods.

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-18030822nh.jpg

NRL NEWS

Hunt's inside knowledge bucks Brisbane
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 8 Mar 2018, 10:19 PM

Wayne Bennett must wish he'd asked Ben Hunt to sign a non-disclosure agreement when he left the Brisbane Broncos after the St George Illawarra Dragons star recruit took advantage of inside information to spark his new club an impressive 34-12 win.

With the opening game of the 2018 Telstra Premiership delicately poised in the second half, Hunt sprinted out of the Dragons defensive line after recognising a familiar play to snatch a pass intended for his former halves partner Anthony Milford and race 45 metres to score.

It was the moment that confirmed to the Dragons faithful in the 14,451 crowd at Jubilee Oval and those watching on television that the money the club had spent and the 12 months they'd had to wait for a top-shelf playmaker had been worth it.

The fact it was controversial Broncos prop Matthew Lodge who threw the intercept pass was all the sweeter after many of those in attendance had spent the 50 minutes of the match up to that point booing his every involvement.

However, Hunt was the man they had come to see and the 27-year-old Test and Origin star lived up to expectations in his first Telstra Premiership match in the Red V.

Dragons 34-12 Broncos

Besides his 50th-minute solo effort, Hunt laid on the only try of the first half for second-rower Tyson Frizell, and produced a number of other plays likely to result in points when team-mates become more used to playing with him.

On one occasion early in the match, Frizell ran into a hole seemingly unaware that Hunt was going to pass the ball to him, while five-eighth Gareth Widdop was offside when he snatched a reverse kick from the air and crashed over the try line.

Hunt's kicking game was another area he made a noticeable difference for the Dragons and he eased the pressure off Widdop by taking responsibility for most of the kicks at the end of sets, and forced a number of goal-line dropouts and errors, including a spilled bomb by Broncos winger Joseph Isaako.

With less scrutiny from the opposition defence, Widdop had more freedom to roam and he used a fullback-type play by sweeping behind the attack to create an overlap for Euan Aitkin’s 60th-minute try.

Winger Jason Nightingale's 78th minute try featured a similar play to complete the Dragons' five tries to two rout of the Broncos and another winning start to the season under Paul McGregor's coaching.

In contrast, the Broncos clearly missed Hunt's direction and decision making at the end of sets, while their forwards were outgunned by an enthusiastic and physical Dragons pack.

Any concerns about the Dragons defence in their pre-season fixtures against Hull FC and South Sydney Rabbitohs proved to be unfounded as Frizell, James Graham and Jack De Belin dominated their Broncos rivals.

lodgem-183831r-.jpg

Broncos prop Matt Lodge.
Lodge was the only Broncos forward to run more than 100 metres with the ball but he had a return to the NRL to forget after being smashed by Frizell in his first carry with the ball, conceding a number of errors and penalties, and throwing the intercept pass for Hunt’s try.

In comparison, Graham, Frizell, Paul Vaughan and Leeson Ah Mau all carried the ball for more than 100 metres for the Dragons to enable Hunt and Widdop to call the shots behind a dominant forward pack.

The move to start with Sam Thaiday at hooker failed to produce dividends for the Broncos and several of his passes went astray, while the service from dummy half was slower than Andrew McCullough provided when he came off the bench.

The crackdown by match officials on the play-the-ball resulted in a slower game and both teams took time to adjust but once they did the Dragons looked a much better side.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/03/08/hunts-inside-knowledge-bucks-brisbane/

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt stars against former club as Dragons crush Broncos 34-12 at Jubilee Oval
Dragon's Den
+21
  • r0_3_1200_678_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
  • r0_3_1200_678_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

THE 14,457 fans who filed out of Jubilee Oval tonight after the Dragons' crushing 22-point win over the Broncos had plenty of their early NRL season- questions answered. Pictures: John Veage
THE 14,457 fans who filed into to Jubilee Oval for Thursday’s NRL season-opener arrived with plenty of questions.

How would Ben Hunt fare in his first outing against his former club? What reception would Matt Lodge get from fans in his NRL return? What can the Red V faithful expect from their side in 2018?

The answer to all three questions came in the 50th minute minute when Hunt latched onto a wayward pass from Lodge and raced 45 metres to score and take a 16-6 lead for his side.

It was the low point of a forgettable night for Lodge, who was flattened by Tyson Frizell on his first carry and booed mercilessly with his every touch.

He raised his first cheer when he spilled the ball cold in the 15th minute. The only relief for the Lodge was that he got game one out of the way. Dragons coach Paul McGregor was probably thinking the same thing after his side opened their account with a 34-12 win.

The intercept was part of Hunt’s emphatic answer to question number one after he laid on Tyson Frizell’s 28th minute try with a deft grubber from dummy-half and put Gareth Widdop over with another kick, only for his skipper to be ruled offside.

It was a standout performance in an at times scrappy affair, especially where the visitors were concerned, completing at just 50 per cent in the opening stanza.

The hosts were slightly better at 75 per cent, but it was enough to lead 10-2 at halftime on the back of Frizell’s try and two penalty goals to Widdop.

The Broncos could manage just Anthony Milford’s eighth-minute penalty goal in response with Corey Oates’ disallowed try in the 22nd minute their only foray into the Dragons in-goal in the opening 40.

It didn’t take them long to breakthrough in the second however, with James Roberts crossing seven minutes after the resumption to get his side back within four.

Hunt’s 50th minute dash and Euan Aitken’s barge-over effort nine minutes later looked enough to seal the result. Roberts’ second four-pointer gave the Broncos a sniff down the stretch at 24-12 before tries to Jack de Belin and Jason Nightingale in the 73rd and 78th minute put paid to any comeback.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/5...resses-on-debut-against-his-old-club/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt draws praise from McGregor after impressive performance
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Thu 8 Mar 2018, 11:27 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor and five-eighth Gareth Widdop have praised the immediate impact recruit Ben Hunt has had on the team following the halfback's starring role against his former club in Thursday night's 34-12 victory over the Brisbane Broncos.

When he wasn't scoring and setting up tries, Hunt kicked well in general play and added plenty of direction to a team already enjoying a hefty advantage after winning the forward battle.

England Test pivot Widdop has paired with some journeyman playmakers in his time at the Dragons and welcomed the chance to focus on his own natural game.

"He's been good; the last few years I've had a few different halfbacks so to have Ben here, he's played many first-grade games, played Origin, played for Australia so he's well experienced, he's just going to add to this team," Widdop said after the match.

"My combination with him is only going to be better with time. It was a pleasing first start. The important thing is to back it up next week. He's a halfback who'll go to the game, he's not going to sit back and wait."

McGregor was pleased to have a genuine six and a genuine seven on either side of the ruck.

Dragons 34-12 Broncos

"Gareth … I'll embarrass him but he's got bottomless talent. He likes to play instinctive footy," McGregor said.

"When you wear the seven you've got to execute a game plan. They complement each other really well. That was just the start of something we can build over the year.

"You've got two competitive players on the football field, we've got some strike on both edges."

nightingalej-try-18030811.jpg

Round 1: Dragons v Broncos

McGregor also took a diplomatic approach to what appeared to be a deeply underwhelming effort from his opposition.

"I think we got the Broncos at the right time tonight," he added.

"We spoke about it prior to [the game], the nine (Andrew McCullough) was coming off a knee reconstruction. [Matt] Lodge hasn't played a lot of footy for a few years, [Jack] Bird wasn't playing. It was a good opportunity. [Anthony] Milford's coming off half a trial and a shoulder reco. It was a nice way to start at home."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/08...ps-praise-on-ben-hunt-after-impressive-debut/

Latest posts