What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Sea Eagles @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Knights v Sea Eagles

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt23

Staff member
Something we’ve been missing has finally returned, pride and passion!

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've not HNNNNGED that hard in a long, long time as a Knights fan.

It was gumboot ugly at times, but that felt bloody good. Some impressive debuts from new guys in an understandably scrappy game, but we showed great character in getting across the line there.

Pearce, Ponga, Herman, and Guerra all looked really good in the red and blue. Griffin was decent. Moga barely sighted. Watson and SKD a bit disappointing.

Surely we can find a spot for Lamb in our starting side?

------

Is anybody doing KOTR this year?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Character and class in the positions where it mattered. Pearce took complete control of the team from the get go, never took a backward step.

And ponga...my god. Those feet are unbelievable

Ponga definitely living up to the hype so far. So composed with the boot as well.

Frederick

Staff member
Manly were bigger than us

Manly were stronger than us

Manly were faster than us

But they weren't smarter than us, especially when it mattered

Old Timer

Coach
Just ducked my head in from the Dragons forum to say congradulations and good luck for the season ahead, although I think you guys won't need a lot of luck because you've got a good roster and a good coach.
Whilst you may not be every one's no 1 team you can sure bet your arse your every one else 2nd favourite team.
Your supporters are fantastic and never deserted the team so you fully deserve a great year.

Dave_

Juniors
Just ducked my head in from the Dragons forum to say congradulations and good luck for the season ahead, although I think you guys won't need a lot of luck because you've got a good roster and a good coach.
Whilst you may not be every one's no 1 team you can sure bet your arse your every one else 2nd favourite team.
Your supporters are fantastic and never deserted the team so you fully deserve a great year.
Nice bud, nice

Frederick

Staff member
Thanks bro. Dragons might just be my second team this year after the right rogering you have Brisbane last night

I'll agree that Pearce made a big difference by taking control. He did a lot of talking too. Great choice to make him (a) Captain.

Fitz, Barnett and Dafiti definitely didn't look out of place. Less pressure on them and experience around them is what we have needed.

Ross went well. SDK will be up and down and this was a down day for him.

Griffin our most tackles as expected
Ese'ese most run metres.

Swarzey

Bench
Manly were the better side for the most part and we tried to shoot ourselves in the foot but I think how we managed to pull it off is the greatest point to take away from tonight. It's an effort that hasn't existed at the club for a long, long time, the right players stood up at the right time and took control. I felt, just like the trial, our errors and our missed opportunities came off the back of a lack of cohesion. But that's what we're going to have to live with and be patient about; it will take 2-3 more months to really see the side work as a unit but I think given the individual performances tonight, it will be worth the wait. Defence is still the biggest issue. We're not always going to come up against a big pack like Manly, but it's still a major concern.

Ponga is truly something special. Manly threw everything and the kitchen sink at him all night and he had a monster of a performance. Incredibly strong and reliable in defence, near untouchable at times in attack. Like the issue of cohesion, it will take some time but eventually I think we'll see some tremendous combinations form.

Pearce will now be known as God King Pearce. The prophecy has finally been fulfilled and the second coming of Andrew Johns has arrived.

Watson certainly looked better in the utility role and Lamb was crisp when he came on. I don't think he played bad at all throughout the game, I think I just expected a little more from him considering we signed him to be a "running half". But again, cohesion and that will come with more time they spend in games.

Yosh

Coach
Great to get a win and a fantastic win it was. No better feeling than beating Manly in extra time. Pearce with the winner and Ponga with our first. Sorta hard to figure out who is who because we have so many new faces but glad they were all wearing our jersey.

Do you boys look smaller in our jerseys or was Manly just that much bigger than us tonight?

If Ross scored off that Uate drop to win the game, that would have been the cherry on top of the cherry that was the win.

Jono078

Referee
Not being delusional with the win vs the performances we gave.

But my god that was just an awesome experience and great viewing getting that win!! Felt like a semi-final victory.

Ponga was outstanding!

Spot On

Coach
Thank god for Aku Uate and his habit of dropping one when it matters.

The 2 players I was most excited to sign delivered big time - Herman and Ponga. Outstanding both of them.

Our right side was puss. Watson, Guerra, Sione and SKD were ordinary. Guerra did step up the last 20 mins though. Was good for that part of the game. Watson - well............

Can see why Griffin got the nod. Played really well. A much better player than I realised.

Pearce was solid. That said the game was there to be closed out 10 mins before the hooter but we weren't good enough to score. A plethora of back to back to back sets and zip.

Manly were ferocious in defence all night so to get the points tonight was a bonus.

Old dog

Juniors
Great win, Pearce was excellent, please don't refer to him as the new Joey, he is Pearce and he did all he was asked to, guided the side well. Ponga was very good, better than I hoped on debut, Esee was good other debutants got a pass mark although Watson was a bit disappointing.
Overall it was the commitment to backing each other up that got us against a big strong side.
Game overall was a bit scrappy at times but that will probably be the case for every side in Rd 1. The win will do us all well, well done team.

Latest posts