What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

flippikat

Bench
The problem IMO with having a "proper heritage round" is that there's no perfect equation. There'll always be a game "left out" that's not really heritage.

This is as close as I can get:
Broncos v Titans (88*)
Cowboys v Warriors (95)
Bulldogs v Dragons
Rabbitohs v Roosters
Sea Eagles v Sharks
Penrith v Parramatta
... then the well dries up
Raiders v Wests Tigers (89 GF?)
Newcastle v Storm (a few prelims?)

Yep.. no perfect draw for those rounds exist, and you can slice it far more ways for Sydney clubs than interstate.. but it's something worth thinking about.

Thinking about it now, I'm struggling to think of a Sydney club versus non-Sydney club club rivalry outside of Manly/Storm or at a stretch Manly/Newcastle. (One off 'Classic' grand finals like 1989 Tigers v Raiders don't count - I mean a decent run of heated high-stakes games over a few seasons)

I think we need more of those rivalries.

Zerô

Juniors
Indigenous round is good. Anzac should just be a small consistent poppy and rising sun on all jerseys. Women in league done to death and probably not relevant anymore given women play a more prominent role now in league compared to when the concept was first introduced. Heritage should be the men of league round and that should be enough.

Yeah I'm similar.

Anzac should be tasteful and minimal. Just a poppy on each jersey. Not to be sold to the public.

WiL is redundant, the the fact they're all variations of pink and purple is just taking the piss.

Indigenous should be compulsory, but instead of new designs each year, clubs should design a sole indigenous jersey they wear every year.

Heritage should be happen every year, but celebrate a different era each time.

Then I would leave one jersey to the discretion of the club, be it charity, honouring a player, or advertising to fatten their pockets

Also:

I'd have it so clubs had only two jerseys- home and away/clash.

But as an exception, if a club commits to a long-term home jersey, or had it written into their constitution that they will not change designs, they can then have an alternate design.

Last edited:

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Yep.. no perfect draw for those rounds exist, and you can slice it far more ways for Sydney clubs than interstate.. but it's something worth thinking about.

Thinking about it now, I'm struggling to think of a Sydney club versus non-Sydney club club rivalry outside of Manly/Storm or at a stretch Manly/Newcastle. (One off 'Classic' grand finals like 1989 Tigers v Raiders don't count - I mean a decent run of heated high-stakes games over a few seasons)

I think we need more of those rivalries.

Panthers-Raiders over the 90-91 period would work. Give the Panthers the chance to get the Chocolate Soldiers out

Stallion

First Grade
Sport is a business, and merchandise is a crucial pillar of that. Do you honestly think clubs (or the league) will get on board with a plan that reduces exposure of key merchandise items for a set period? Especially if it's an anniversary event kind of thing?

Depends if the NRL want to maintain and attract a loyal supporter base? Other codes like the AFL understand this concept and do not change playing strips anywhere near the amount of times seen in a season of NRL. Id say that code code is looking at the loyalty and familiarity aspect of their product. That's good business too!

beagle

Juniors
Jersey presentation at Parra shows off new lower back sponsor

192a8911.jpg

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Depends if the NRL want to maintain and attract a loyal supporter base? Other codes like the AFL understand this concept and do not change playing strips anywhere near the amount of times seen in a season of NRL. Id say that code code is looking at the loyalty and familiarity aspect of their product. That's good business too!
This might have been true up until a few years ago but the afl have just as many themed rounds now. Next?

Nuke

Staff member
Sooo... Who thinks the Roosters should change their name to Bondi Roosters?

I'm usually totally against shrinking a base to just a suburb. But Sydney is too generic given there are 8 1/2 Sydney teams. Eastern Suburbs is old fashioned. Eastern Sydney is meh. Sydney City is moot because that is largely territory of others.

But Bondi... Recognisable location that is fashionable domestic and internationally and means something to people.

I get where you're coming from. I do actually like the 'Bondi Roosters' name, however I think that any further name changes for the Roosters should be to something like 'East Sydney Roosters'. It incorporates both the old 'Easts' name as well as the current 'Sydney' name ... albeit no-one ever calls them 'Sydney' (only either 'Roosters' or 'Sydney Roosters' ... not just 'Sydney' like people would for teams like Newcastle, Manly, Parra, Souths, ect). East Sydney Roosters, with a variation of their 1980s logo (the one they used right up until 1995 or so) with EAST SYDNEY above the logo, and at the bottom, inside the shield, have EST.1908. On-field jersey to do what Souths do with their bunny, as in not the full logo but just the one-colour image with perhaps having EAST SYDNEY underneath the red chook.
That might be harder to achieve and still be noticeable given the area on their jerseys where the logo sits has all three colours pretty close together, so they could either widen the white chevron to allow enough space for it, or just have the full logo there instead.

Attached are what I mean (using 2018's jersey as the example of the logo)

Attachments

• East Sydney Roosters 1.jpg
    East Sydney Roosters 1.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 28
  • East Sydney Roosters 2.jpg
    East Sydney Roosters 2.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 22

Nuke

Staff member
All that being said, the version of the red chook the Roosters used for their 100yrs logo a few years ago would be better in place of the1980s red chook. It was an amalgamation of sorts with the current rooster emblem and had the iconic Opera House as the chook's comb. I like that on there, personally.

Stallion

First Grade
I get where you're coming from. I do actually like the 'Bondi Roosters' name, however I think that any further name changes for the Roosters should be to something like 'East Sydney Roosters'. It incorporates both the old 'Easts' name as well as the current 'Sydney' name ... albeit no-one ever calls them 'Sydney' (only either 'Roosters' or 'Sydney Roosters' ... not just 'Sydney' like people would for teams like Newcastle, Manly, Parra, Souths, ect). East Sydney Roosters, with a variation of their 1980s logo (the one they used right up until 1995 or so) with EAST SYDNEY above the logo, and at the bottom, inside the shield, have EST.1908. On-field jersey to do what Souths do with their bunny, as in not the full logo but just the one-colour image with perhaps having EAST SYDNEY underneath the red chook.
That might be harder to achieve and still be noticeable given the area on their jerseys where the logo sits has all three colours pretty close together, so they could either widen the white chevron to allow enough space for it, or just have the full logo there instead.

Attached are what I mean (using 2018's jersey as the example of the logo)

Agree. I have mentioned this name improvement a while ago. Someone informed that their is a suburb called East Sydney in the area. But I still believe the East Sydney Roosters name option should be persued.

Stallion

First Grade
This might have been true up until a few years ago but the afl have just as many themed rounds now. Next?

Don't see the extent of jumper changes in AFL as seen in the NRL? For instance, are you aware of how many St George Dragons fans cringe when the club doesn't wear the famous red V jumper? You will also find that Manly Warringah have got it right this season with their main and alternate strip. The inverse of eachother, and very much like the very recognisable 70s , 80s and early 90's jumpers. These very recognisable and familiar jumpers engender loyalty and fond memories for fans which seem to be ignored by many clubs and others. Another fact not noted is that the opposing club fans also enjoy the rekindled familiarity and memories of such jumpers. The visual effect and familiarity is part of the attraction for fans attending and viewing games. The familiarity is much alligned in the look of the clubs when the game/competition was reaching an Australia wide tv audience and subsequent notoriety which occured in the 70s, 80's & 90s.

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
Sternum sponsors are a joke. They blur the lines between NRL professional jerseys and your local bush league jerseys which go full NASCAR. Not only that but the fact that almost all the sternum sponsors change every year indicates to me that the companies aren't getting their money's worth for it. Ideally I'd like to see the NRL make a ruling where clubs can't have sternum sponsors and are limited to a single lower back sponsor with the upper back reserved for the player name in one standard NRL font (like in the EPL). Not only would this tidy up the clubs' and the NRL's branding, it'd also make jersey sponsorships a premium placement and sponsors would pay more for the exclusive exposure they got on the front/ back of the jersey.

That Knights retro jersey looked great- but not sure why the front gradient pattern didn't also appear on the back like the real deal? It would have also meant Ladbrokes could sublimate their logo at the top. That jersey + yellow numbers would be a winner, and works better than the Barca stripes .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts