What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Stallion

First Grade
I knew about Keebra Park etc, but the issue of size of the junior catchment still surprised me.

Still it’s going to need more than just a big junior catchment to keep the club alive.

That helps and things like a winning team , competitive ticket prices, easy access to the ground and decent marketing all count. The junior numbers show the Titans have potential. Thats why the NRL brought the club back . They could see a massive vacuum for juniors with nowhere to aspire to. Now to lose that would surely be abandonment of the code!

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Correct, 142k tickets to 7 events, average just over 20k per event.
and 8 games
just under 18K average for the games which is the only thing that matters

Ive looked on about 5 sites that gather stats
can't find an..... event .. average anywhere

That helps and things like a winning team , competitive ticket prices, easy access to the ground and decent marketing all count. The junior numbers show the Titans have potential. Thats why the NRL brought the club back . They could see a massive vacuum for juniors with nowhere to aspire to. Now to lose that would surely be abandonment of the code!

It definitely helps, but it was doing well without the Titans. So it’s not completely dependent on a first grade team, especially when that team isn’t really involved in the running of the junior system.

There’s actually some evidence that the trickle down effect of pro sports is overstated. Kids are more likely to play what’s put in front of them, not necessarily because their sports hero’s play something.

Raiderdave

First Grade
round 2 predictions

Sharks V Dragons 14500
Roosters V Bulldogs 12500
Broncos V Cowboys 48500
Warriors V Titans 12500
Penrith V Souths 14500
Melb V Tigers 16500
Manly V Parra 14500
Raiders V Newc 14500

around 148000 if the weather stays fine

Raiderdave

First Grade
That is actually the more logical location for both codes to put a licence before GC.

not likely either code will abandon a population centre of over 700K
we've been there in some capacity for 30 years
as a code we have to keep working on it & the new owners have a responsibility to see it does , not only to justify the money they've spent out of their pockets , but because the NRL gave them a second chance to make it work.
It will never be a newcastle , we shouldn't expect support up there like that

they are our codes problem child
all families have one.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Hmmm Broncs v Cowboys might be interesting. Considering that a cyclone could form over the next day and impact Gc to Sunshine Coast Thursday. Not looking great. A drenched jt 300th game in Townsville and now this. Not ideal.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Hmmm Broncs v Cowboys might be interesting. Considering that a cyclone could form over the next day and impact Gc to Sunshine Coast Thursday. Not looking great. A drenched jt 300th game in Townsville and now this. Not ideal.
only a few showers predicted 3 days out for brisvegas
1mm
so I think it'll be fine

First Grade
It's just a different mentality on the GC - no one cares that goes for the Suns too - other things to do. It is a mix of QLDers, ex pats from other states and foreigners. Even Broncs v GC isn't an automatic sell-out at CBUS which it should be every time. I wish it was QLD's version of Newcastle but it's not. That is probably more Townsville.
Being a Novocastrian originally and having lived in Townsville for 8 years and now Ipswich for 18 years, I believe Ipswich is QLD's Newcastle. Close proximity to the big brother capital, cheaper housing better group of people, lower insurance rates as there is less crime etc etc.

Marlins

Juniors
Round 2 -
Sharks V Dragons 16K
Roosters V Bulldogs 12K
Broncos V Cowboys 50K
Warriors V Titans 20K
Penrith V Souths 20K
Melb V Tigers 22K
Manly V Parra 16K
Raiders V Newc 16K

Stallion

First Grade
It definitely helps, but it was doing well without the Titans. So it’s not completely dependent on a first grade team, especially when that team isn’t really involved in the running of the junior system.

There’s actually some evidence that the trickle down effect of pro sports is overstated. Kids are more likely to play what’s put in front of them, not necessarily because their sports hero’s play something.

Being in the vicinity of a top flight club representing the area would be a fair way of putting a code in front of another sport. Especially a football code. Their is significant evidence to suggest that the loss of a top flight club is very damaging . This is plainly shown in the North Sydney Bears scenario whereby 22 junior clubs with 2 to 3 teams in each age group has fallen to 8 junior clubs with two year age bracket gaps and struggling to field one team in an age bracket.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Although I want a team on the GC, it's hard to argue with what you are saying. The only real reason that they are there at the moment is to not give the AFL a 'free-kick'

Not really here's their ticks:

Quality stadium - Tick
Fans attending - Tick (last year they were higher avg than half the comp)
Strategic location - Tick
Sponsors - Tick (seem to have a reasonable portfolio)

If they get good on the field, get stable off it and reconnect with the 20k plus that turned up in year one they'll go a lot better than some other clubs in the comp.

Shorty

Staff member
Being a Novocastrian originally and having lived in Townsville for 8 years and now Ipswich for 18 years, I believe Ipswich is QLD's Newcastle. Close proximity to the big brother capital, cheaper housing better group of people, lower insurance rates as there is less crime etc etc.
'Better group of people'.
I'm sorry what?!

Stallion

First Grade

Quality stadium - Tick

If they get good on the field, get stable off it and reconnect with the 20k plus that turned up in year one they'll go a lot better than some other clubs in the comp.

Also think that their maybe some fan negativity involved in the Jarred Hayne "escape".

Stallion

First Grade
round 2 predictions

Sharks V Dragons 14500
Roosters V Bulldogs 12500
Broncos V Cowboys 48500
Warriors V Titans 12500
Penrith V Souths 14500
Melb V Tigers 16500
Manly V Parra 14500
Raiders V Newc 14500

around 148000 if the weather stays fine

Weather permitting. The Roosters game ; 17000, Warriors game 16000, Penrith game 21000, Melbourne game 20000, Manly game 18000, Raiders game 15000. The others are pretty good, although Im thinking price gauging may rare its ugly head for the Brisbane game! Maybe a few more thousand for the Cronulla game as it is still daylight saving time and Saints fans will turn up.

Being in the vicinity of a top flight club representing the area would be a fair way of putting a code in front of another sport. Especially a football code. Their is significant evidence to suggest that the loss of a top flight club is very damaging . This is plainly shown in the North Sydney Bears scenario whereby 22 junior clubs with 2 to 3 teams in each age group has fallen to 8 junior clubs with two year age bracket gaps and struggling to field one team in an age bracket.

The Titans scenario is quite different to me.

Firstly, on the North Shore, rugby league was always the smaller code, despite having a professional team. Rugby union had a much bigger network of juniors & support.

Also given the turmoil in the code, there just wasn’t the resources to pick up the slack from the bears loss. The bears IIRC were heavily involved in running the local juniors, that doesn’t exist with the Titans.

Besides I’m not saying ditch the Titans right now, I’m saying this should be the last roll of the dice. Give it everything we’ve got, cheaper tickets, more membership drives etc. But if that doesn’t work I wouldn’t want to see the NRL bail them out yet again.

Quality stadium - Tick

Higher crowds but lower members.

Tells me many people that were attending are fans of other teams.
—————————

If we’re going to list their ticks, let’s list the negatives.

Ownership turnover

Low membership

Poor management

Lack of high quality training facilities

Lack of secondary revenue

History of professional sports failure in the region

Raiderdave

First Grade
Weather permitting. The Roosters game ; 17000, Warriors game 16000, Penrith game 21000, Melbourne game 20000, Manly game 18000, Raiders game 15000. The others are pretty good, although Im thinking price gauging may rare its ugly head for the Brisbane game! Maybe a few more thousand for the Cronulla game as it is still daylight saving time and Saints fans will turn up.

ah
brookvale can't fit 18K anymore
suncorp is all but sold out , so no , no price gouging there
anyone who thinks penrith will draw the same against souths on a sat , as they did against parramatta on a sunday is , well crazy
oh & the roosters won't get anywhere near 17K
othwerwise we agree

Clifferd

Coach
Why can’t Penrith replicate that crowd? Their fans come out in droves once they sniff a bit of success

It’s not like the timeslot is terrible either

Me thinks 19-20k