What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

First Grade
'Better group of people'.
I'm sorry what?!
Personal experience, like the people of Newcastle I find the people of Ipswich to be friendlier and more likeable then those from Brisbane. Like the majority of Sydney people feel superior to novocastrians and look down on them, Brisbane people look down and scoff at people from Ipswich. The laugh is really on them I would rather live in Ipswich any day of the week and pay less rent and insurance and voila be in their high and mighty city in roughly 45 minutes if I desire to venture in there.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Why can’t Penrith replicate that crowd? Their fans come out in droves once they sniff a bit of success

It’s not like the timeslot is terrible either

Me thinks 19-20k

one game does not make much difference , it doesn't hurt , but no one is convinced either way after one result
plus Parramatta are their biggest rival by the length of the straight at randwick
& also because there were probably 7K Parramatta fans there too

there won't be anywhere near that many souths fans on sat
14 to 15K will be an outstanding crowd
talk of 20K is just stupid & unrealistic

one game does not make much difference , it doesn't hurt , but no one is convinced either way after one result
plus Parramatta are their biggest rival by the length of the straight at randwick

I have a feeling the Penrith crowd might surprise. Our membership numbers are up on previous years. I’m thinking 17k

Areas in grey are already sold out

90943338-ADD4-47CF-943E-DFA80FA2359E.jpeg

Stallion

First Grade
The Titans scenario is quite different to me.

Firstly, on the North Shore, rugby league was always the smaller code, despite having a professional team. Rugby union had a much bigger network of juniors & support.

Also given the turmoil in the code, there just wasn’t the resources to pick up the slack from the bears loss. The bears IIRC were heavily involved in running the local juniors, that doesn’t exist with the Titans.

Besides I’m not saying ditch the Titans right now, I’m saying this should be the last roll of the dice. Give it everything we’ve got, cheaper tickets, more membership drives etc. But if that doesn’t work I wouldn’t want to see the NRL bail them out yet again.

Id certainly see how things are with a 2nd Brisbane team first.! ? With another local derby and more interest thats generated it should add to more relevance for the code and therefore the Titans. You dont throw the baby out with the bath water and then see what happens. You give it a go . And a damn good go. Two clubs out of Brisbane and Titans. That should prove effective and great for the codes relevance in South East Queensland. That's what I call last resort. If the Titans fail after this then get the carving knife out!

Stallion

First Grade
ah
brookvale can't fit 18K anymore
suncorp is all but sold out , so no , no price gouging there
anyone who thinks penrith will draw the same against souths on a sat , as they did against parramatta on a sunday is , well crazy
oh & the roosters won't get anywhere near 17K
othwerwise we agree

Call me crazy then!

Stallion

First Grade
ah
brookvale can't fit 18K anymore
suncorp is all but sold out , so no , no price gouging there
anyone who thinks penrith will draw the same against souths on a sat , as they did against parramatta on a sunday is , well crazy
oh & the roosters won't get anywhere near 17K
othwerwise we agree

We shall see! And is their a crowd cap on at Brookvale? I was there five years ago and over 18000 were attending . We easily got a sitting spot on the north eastern hill .

Id certainly see how things are with a 2nd Brisbane team first.! ? With another local derby and more interest thats generated it should add to more relevance for the code and therefore the Titans. You dont throw the baby out with the bath water and then see what happens. You give it a go . And a damn good go. Two clubs out of Brisbane and Titans. That should prove effective and great for the codes relevance in South East Queensland. That's what I call last resort. If the Titans fail after this then get the carving knife out!

Timing is everything here.

If the Titans failed again in the next 5 years I’d pull the plug. That’d tell me the problems run deeper than just who the owners & management are.

I’m not so convinced another local derby helps the titans anyway, they haven’t even sold out their games against a pretty good Broncos team in recent years. Another club won’t pull the fans the Bronocs do. They also don’t draw that well in Brisbane.

Last 3 home crowds against broncos

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I know it's a 5.30pm kick off but I think the 38 degrees forecast will turn some families away this week. They are probably still recovering from the roasting they copped on Sunday!

Stallion

First Grade
Timing is everything here.

If the Titans failed again in the next 5 years I’d pull the plug. That’d tell me the problems run deeper than just who the owners & management are.

I’m not so convinced another local derby helps the titans anyway, they haven’t even sold out their games against a pretty good Broncos team in recent years. Another club won’t pull the fans the Bronocs do. They also don’t draw that well in Brisbane.

Last 3 home crowds against broncos

To me that's not givng the Titans absolutely every chance . We differ. A second local derby will help the bottom line and engender social relevance for the code in what is a transit tourist and retirement area of Australia . A massive population base as well.

Last edited:
To me that's not givng the Titans absolutely every chance . We differ a secind local derby will help the bottom line and engender social relevance for the code in what is a transit tourist and retirement area of Australia .

Well if the NRL are true to their word, the tap has run dry. No more bailing clubs out. There’s fair warning in that.

I think given the history on the Gold Coast they’d be even more reluctant to help them.

TheFrog

Coach
Should be another huge crowd out a Penrith on the back of the win last weekend.
Saturday afternoon, good weather and playing a traditional Sydney side.
No reason they can’t crack 20K again.
This game got 15.5k on Friday night last year. I'd say 16k or so.

Stallion

First Grade

Perhaps you are stupid and unrealistic? 5.30pm Saturday would be the best timeslot for most fans. Penrith prefer 3pm Saturday however Im thinking 5.30pm is more workable for most fans. We shall see. Weather permitting.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
For what it’s worth old Lemon was at Perth for the double-header and it is a cracking stadium, easy to get to, massive pub/restaurant on site... even though it’s primarly designed for cricket/afl the viewing from all areas we got to was still pretty banging.

But... have to say I was a little surprised with the crowd number, myself and my mates were guesstimating prior to it being announced and we all said around the 30k half-full sort of mark... the only explanation I could come up with was that we were in a suite on the Northern end with the opposite side of the ground being exposed to the sun, so possibly our side being shadier there were people just hanging around that side of the ground, which we couldn’t see? Not sure how it appeared on TV?

Still planning to go back for Origin next year.. with a full house that joint will be something special

Reactions: Vee

ReddFelon

Juniors
For what it’s worth old Lemon was at Perth for the double-header and it is a cracking stadium, easy to get to, massive pub/restaurant on site... even though it’s primarly designed for cricket/afl the viewing from all areas we got to was still pretty banging.

But... have to say I was a little surprised with the crowd number, myself and my mates were guesstimating prior to it being announced and we all said around the 30k half-full sort of mark... the only explanation I could come up with was that we were in a suite on the Northern end with the opposite side of the ground being exposed to the sun, so possibly our side being shadier there were people just hanging around that side of the ground, which we couldn’t see? Not sure how it appeared on TV?

Still planning to go back for Origin next year.. with a full house that joint will be something special

I was in the middle of the shady side of the stadium on level 1, certainly for the Warriors/Rabbitohs game the people on the other side retreated to the bars and screens in the shade, they slowly filled it during the first half of Bulldogs/Storm.

Brutus

Referee
We shall see! And is their a crowd cap on at Brookvale? I was there five years ago and over 18000 were attending . We easily got a sitting spot on the north eastern hill .

I was there on a Sunday arvo about 6 or 7 years ago for Manly and Souths and I'm sure the crowd was over 20k.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I was there on a Sunday arvo about 6 or 7 years ago for Manly and Souths and I'm sure the crowd was over 20k.

I was there in 94 when the Raiders played at Brookie in front of 27K
those days are long gone
18K these days would be just about the absloute ceiling for safety reasons as much as anything else

Stallion

First Grade
I was there in 94 when the Raiders played at Brookie in front of 27K
those days are long gone
18K these days would be just about the absloute ceiling for safety reasons as much as anything else

Not sure if 27000 could fit in Brookvale? Better check that figure. Mind you they used to squeeze the fans in though. Made for a great atmosphere! Think the ground record is with Manly v South Sydney (around 24000? Will check.
Take it all back! You are right! Brookvale oval record attendance is 27655 for Manly v Parra in 1986. Its actual official capacity is 23000.