What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Frank Facer

First Grade
I know that Mary is very disliked by so many on this forum, including myself. But the only way that Mary gets sacked now, is for us to have an unsuccessful season, which would mean either missing the top 8 or just scrapping into the top 8.

If I have to choose between us having a successful season and Mary being our coach next year, or us having an unsuccessful season and Mary being sacked, then I choose for us to have a successful season and Mary being our coach again next year.

I want to know the the Mary haters on this site choose? lol

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I know that Mary is very disliked by so many on this forum, including myself. But the only way that Mary gets sacked now, is for us to have an unsuccessful season, which would mean either missing the top 8 or just scrapping into the top 8.

If I have to choose between us having a successful season and Mary being our coach next year, or us having an unsuccessful season and Mary being sacked, then I choose for us to have a successful season and Mary being our coach again next year.

I'm with you, mate.

As much as l dislike Mary as our coach, I love my club more ........... so l hope we have a great season.
It's when and if we don't have an expected great season, that l, we, expect the board to act.
Todate, that failing has equaled Marys' contribution.

hazzbeen

Bench

I'd be happy for him to stay on if we are top 5 anything less is not good enough , he has had plenty of time to settle in .

ALSGI

Bench

I dont think many people genuinely hate Mary, but coaches have to take the lions share of the blame for consistent years of poor performances.

Let’s not forget his 2 amigos Young and Hornby in all of this.

I’d choose keep whoever the coach is if we have a good (top 4 - deep finals) year - otherwise sack the f’n three of them as they should have been last year.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Well said mate , on his bike and I will gladly push it ....

Mary's fate won't be decided by us because he's taken nothing on board from this forum.
His fate will be determined by the fitness or otherwise of Ben Hunt and his selection of outside backs over the next couple of months. Simple equation.

BennyV

Referee

Interesting question, but it’s dependant on your view of ‘success’. IMO, we simply cannot win the big one (or come close) with him at the helm AND recent history shows that scraping into the 8 or just missing out is enough to retain him. So in the grand scheme of things, getting rid of him would probably be a silver lining to a poor season.

In answer to your question - it’s nearly impossible to actually decide at this point of the season. But reflecting on 2017, I’d prefer to have come 15th and be rid of Mary than experience the season we did and have his contract extended.

I actually like Mary as coach.

I like that players seem to enjoy being at the club and want to re-sign.

I like that he is patient and there are minimal knee jerk team changes.

I think he speaks well.

I think he is a good motivator.

ALSGI

Bench

I think he speaks well.

Just kidding btw GCD, good to read some different opinions.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

I think he speaks well.

Your entitled to your opinion mate but l’ve just broken out in a cold sweat, the migraine has kicked in and the bowels have opened up like the heavens.

I’m now reaching for a Bex powder!

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think we will have a good season and make the top 5, in spite of Mary being our coach, because we now have a very good pack, a very good pair of halves and a fullback who has speed and can ball play. I even think we are the 4th best chance of winning the comp this year after Easts, Melbourne and Nth Qld.

I also think that Brisbane will struggle to make the top 8 and they have got Bennett, who many on this site still think is the Messiah. Bennett doesn't have a good pack at his disposal, he has one of the worst halfbacks in the comp and a 5/8 who needs a dominate game manager halfback beside him. I think Milford should have stayed at fullback, where he had more room to move and could roam around the field and inject himself, when he liked. I also think that Boyd is one of if not the most over rated players in the comp. I would take Dufty over Boyd this year.I know that most readers will laugh at my last statement. A coach is only as good as the cattle he has to work with and think year I believe that it will show with our rise and Brisbane's fall.

Firstly I would just like to say that I doubt anyone on this forum hates Mary.

Secondly as far as I am concerned Mary's lack of tactical ability has now been nullified by the fact that we have:

a) an experienced forward leader in James Graham who will ride/inspire the younger forwards when things get tough

b) a very well balanced creative spine , that will create space for the slowest of slow backs

c) Widdop free to ad lib

d) a better kicking game via Hunt will provide us with more possession and hence less pressure on our forwards

Its early days, however Crush may be right in his assertion that we can be successful despite Mary's presence as coach.

Gareth67

First Grade
He must deliver this year , there can be no excuses . Not referring to the actual trophy ( which would be most welcomed) but well into the eight even top four . Depending upon circumstances he either delivers or show him the door marked - EXIT .

Without going too far into this , the useless board etc. etc. he has the team he wants now.
Good , then do your job Mary make the correct decisions as to selections based upon performance and for pity sake use the bench as it should be used . We have a number of players who , if given more game time , could and probably would solve our lack of speed and skill that is missing in the backline.

2018 is the year that the Dragons coach must stand tall and deliver what the supporters have been waiting for - a team that we can all take pride in , one that plays with confidence, skill and above all for each other . All of that together equates to victories over the top teams and a place in the semifinals .

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
I don’t hate Mary at all. Great player whom I enjoyed watching enormously(pre & post merge).
I hate his coaching though and I believe with very good reason that has been mentioned by myself & others.
Again, he doesn’t offer himself a contract & that is unforgivable by our club admin for handcuffing us to him, not once but twice.

Latest posts