What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs Sharks

dragonssamy61

First Grade
At one stage the Dragons were lucky to score 2 tries per game however I am
confident that the team can score at least 3 tries per game. So winning games will largely depend on the defence holding up for the whole game. The Host situation is interesting
and he still seems to be injured.

He is if they were playing on saturday or sunday he would be ready.
But out this week with calf strain.
Back next week.

giboz71

First Grade
With Holmes at FB and Duges at centre, it’s unlikely they will throw the same sweeping backline plays the same way that Boyd and Roberts burnt us last week.

Lafai still needs to be ready though. Duges will be primed for a big game.

Dragsters

First Grade
From the flano interview it sounded like Dugan to fullback in defence and Holmes back there when they have the ball with Gray switching between wing and centre to accommodate this.

Probably their best option...

hazzbeen

Bench
From the flano interview it sounded like Dugan to fullback in defence and Holmes back there when they have the ball with Gray switching between wing and centre to accommodate this.

Probably their best option...
Its good for them they will try things if needed , they will change things around in defense and attack .... Like we do , yea right !

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: McGregor unfazed by Dugan's potential fullback switch
Local Sport
r0_0_4566_2648_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

GUESS WHO: Josh Dugan and Valentine Holmes. Picture: AAP

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor insists there’s no bad blood with Josh Dugan, despite the former Dragons fullback’s ignominious exit from the club last season.

Dugan found himself at odds with recruitment chief Ian Millward over his market worth and best position, with the Test and Origin centre stating that he saw himself as a fullback at club level.

McGregor played Dugan at fullback for the Dragons’ opening 12 games before injury forced his shift to the centres for the final five games of the season.

The 27-year-old ultimately knocked back a three-year offer from the Dragons to link with Cronulla on a four-year deal – ironically, debuting in the centres last week.

Dugan’s departure was also clouded by the controversy that followed the Dragons’ round 25 clash with the Panthers last year, where he was stood down by McGregor after missing the team bus to Penrith.

The tumultuous 2017 adds spice to his first clash against his former club on Thursday, but McGregor is adamant that Dugan left on good terms.

“It’s what happens in professional sport, players change clubs, coaches change positions,” McGregor said.

“As a professional sportsman you feel you know you’re own worth.

“With Josh, he felt he required a certain amount of money that they didn’t come to terms with and he moved to a club where he got what he needed.

“I wish him all the best, just not [on Thursday] night. He was very good for us for a number of years so he’s going to enjoy playing against his old teammates and old coach.

“We just need to make sure that his night’s not a good one.”

Dugan was named in the No. 3 on Tuesday but coach Shane Flanagan said he and Holmes will spend time at the back as he looks to cover the loss of young flyer Sione Katoa.

‘‘They’ll share the role tomorrow,’’ Flanagan said.

‘‘I think it will work well. We did it in the trials so it’s nothing new. Duges is a big body and we don’t expect him to play 80 minutes at the level I want him to play tomorrow at fullback.

“There is a lot of work to be done there. It gives me the opportunity to flip him onto the centre and my centre onto the wing. We will go from there.’’

McGregor said he hasn’t wasted energy on the Sharks fullback merry-go-round in the lead-up to Thursday’s local derby.

“Both [Holmes and Dugan] are very good players, they’re very similar players, they like to run the footy more,” McGregor said.

“They both run the ball with a lot of ammunition, they’ve got size, they’ve got speed. They’re both talented players whatever position they play.

“Selection of other teams is for other coaches. It’s not really my concern right now. I’ve just got to make sure we prepare our boys the best we can.”

“They’ll do what they do to win the game and we’ll do what we do to win the game. Whoever is at fullback we need to do a job on them.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...zed-by-sharks-fullback-merry-go-round/?cs=302