What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JLT Sheffield Shield 2017/18

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So Sean Abbott really is an all rounder, about time he delivered with the bat.

The New South Wales Blues have seized the momentum in its Sheffield Shield match against Queensland at North Dalton Park in Wollongong after a glorious knock by Nic Maddinson and a massive eighth-wicket partnership changed the game on day two.

At stumps, NSW are 7/382 and lead by 139 runs courtesy of an unbeaten 130-run partnership between Blues seamer Sean Abbott (79 not out) and captain and wicketkeeper Peter Nevill (52 not out).

In a home match for the Nowra born batsman, Maddinson was both brutal and beautiful in his stroke play as he plundered the ball to all parts of the ground during a sublime 87 from just 63 deliveries. His innings included two tremendous sixes and 11 boundaries.

http://www.cricketnsw.com.au/news/sheffield-shield-day2-report-nsw-qld-wollongong/2018-03-15

TheParraboy

Staff member
With a final spot to play for Tasmania trounced the mighty Victoria in a low scoring match

fun fact

Wade 49 runs in the first innings (one innings)
Finch, Maxwell and White - 58 runs all combined (6 innings)

Eelectrica

Referee
Qld close out the regular season with a win. Good effort considering how far behind they were in the first innings. They've got some in form players across the board.

Hope Renshaw is good to go for the final.
Go Qld! Gonna be tough though. With Matt Wade in the opposition.

2 weeks

Coach
With a final spot to play for Tasmania trounced the mighty Victoria in a low scoring match

fun fact

Wade 49 runs in the first innings (one innings)
Finch, Maxwell and White - 58 runs all combined (6 innings)

Wadey is a golden god.

Some new blood on the forum. Call me baggy. I have two pet hates about the domestic competition. Firstly the splintering of the iconic Shield to cater for CA's cash cow.. BBL. Absolutely kills both player and team momentum. Secondly having the first team at the end of competition only needing a draw to win the Shield.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Some new blood on the forum. Call me baggy. I have two pet hates about the domestic competition. Firstly the splintering of the iconic Shield to cater for CA's cash cow.. BBL. Absolutely kills both player and team momentum. Secondly having the first team at the end of competition only needing a draw to win the Shield.
How would you decide the final then? Where no outright result, go by the higher first innings?

King hit

Coach
In an opinion piece about the shield final i read last year the writer suggested a twenty20 game the next day if the final ends in a draw

Timbo

Staff member
Yes. Anything other than this stupid draw policy. Positively kills the final as a spectacle imho.

It’s not really a spectacle though is it? Played in front of 12 people at Junction Oval?

Maybe have CA supervise the preparation of the final deck to make sure it’s not a road?