What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Stuart Ayres wouldn’t even go on radio to defend the policy today.

Love how the ABC got Gallop to defent it though, he’s hardly lifted a finger in this whole process.

Suitman

Post Whore
Love how the ABC got Gallop to defent it though, he’s hardly lifted a finger in this whole process.

Yep, Gallop has as much to gain with the stadium policy as RL has, yet you are correct. He has been conspicuously quiet on the subject.
But that's Gallop's "ahm ahhh" approach to everything.
Worst sports administrator in the country.
It's no wonder the A-League is a f**king mess and fans are protesting.
When fans start getting bans for protesting against a governing body in a democratic country, you know that the truth is starting to hurt the FFA.
f**k Gallop.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why aren’t the rl media people in Sydney talking up the need for new stadiums?

Media create the position that the public jumps on board with then the pollies follow public opinion to keep their jobs. It needs the sydney media to be talking upthe need for A new anz.

Suitman

Post Whore
And here is an example why this country, and this state in particular, should be embarrassed by the current shit fight going on with our stadiums.
The following video is of the current progress on EPL's Tottenham Hotspur's new stadium.

This will be the 5th 60 000 plus capacity stadium in London. Not to mention all the 20,30 and 40 000 stadiums they have as well. And look where it is being built - right in the middle of suburbia.
I understand they have a larger population, but that is no excuse for our lethargy regarding stadium development.
It makes me laugh that we still have people calling for grass hills to be retained.
Seriously, Australia is Neanderthal in stadium development.

People will only realise this when the new Parramatta stadium opens - the first truly decent rectangular stadium that has been developed to maximise the game day experience and atmosphere for the needs of RL and football. Maybe AAMI Park and Suncorp were ok, but Parra will take it to the next level.
Why has this happened? Because the govt this time actually asked RL and football fans what they wanted in a stadium, and they will have delivered on most of the requests.

The next step is to deliver this city a truly large and decent (75000 +) rectangular stadium.
Something like Twickenham in London -

yaomp0j.jpg

Or Millennium Stadium in Cardiff - complete with roof. (And this stadium is starting to get a bit old)

5226420499_19a8d1c328_b.jpg

5814865079_2373c938d8_b.jpg

Suitman

Post Whore
Why aren’t the rl media people in Sydney talking up the need for new stadiums?

Media create the position that the public jumps on board with then the pollies follow public opinion to keep their jobs. It needs the sydney media to be talking upthe need for A new anz.

Just like the new Perth Stadium proposals in the beginning, the vocal minority are the loudest and the anti-govt media get on board. Luckily, you had a govt prepared to push ahead and guess what - it has been an amazing success story for Perth.
We need the supporters of stadium rebuilds in Sydney to stand up and fight for this. To quash the minority.
Forget the poll in the SMH this morning. They have been against a total rebuild of ANZ since the beginning and every article they publish is anti ANZ. The Telegraph who are generally pro-ANZ has been far too quiet on the issue, considering their years long campaigns for better infrastructure in Western Sydney.
The govt needs to bulldoze this through. They aren't going to lose an election on stadium issues alone because they have so many other issues that they can be proud they have achieved and have in planning for the future.
The likes of Luke Foley and Peter Fitzsimmons need to be put in their place, big time.
If these stadium rebuilds don't go ahead, or if it is only Allianz that gets rebuilt, there will only be one person to blame, and that is Stuart Ayres. Ironically, the Minister for Western Sydney and the local member for Penrith.
Complete f**kwit working only for his personal interests, and not the constituents he has been given the honour to represent.

Billythekid

First Grade
London has a bigger population but Sydney is a big city growing rapidly. Give it 15-20 years and Sydney will probably be similar to what London is now.

user_nat

Coach
Eep the figure I saw was quite a bit smaller :X. Still 5+ million heading towards 8 million is still a big city.
Yep, not to down play Sydney. The city is plenty large enough for stadium development purposes.

Australia just to use weird measurements for cities, physical size of Sydney in square km is stupid huge. The 8m in London is about 1/8th the size of Sydney.

VictoryFC

Bench
And here is an example why this country, and this state in particular, should be embarrassed by the current shit fight going on with our stadiums.
The following video is of the current progress on EPL's Tottenham Hotspur's new stadium.

This will be the 5th 60 000 plus capacity stadium in London. Not to mention all the 20,30 and 40 000 stadiums they have as well. And look where it is being built - right in the middle of suburbia.
I understand they have a larger population, but that is no excuse for our lethargy regarding stadium development.

What?

Tottenham new stadium - Privately financed by Tottenham and built on SAME as White Hart Lane
Emirates - Privately financed by Arsenal and built ONE BLOCK away from highbury
Wembley - Privately financed by FA and built on the SAME site as old wembley
Twickenham - Privately owned and upgraded over time by RFU
Olympic stadium - State financed and attracted west ham to move from a stadium they owned, and only built in the first place to host Olympics!

London has 1 state financed stadium in one of the richest cities in the world, and needed an olympics to get it done.

Now point us to the NRL/a-league/s15 club willing to finance rebuilding SFS/ANZ...

Not even remotely a fair comparison.

When you stump up your own money, political hurdles are a lot less problematic.

Suitman

Post Whore
Thanks for reinforcing my point as to why we are so far behind.
Why can't we get private financing of stadiums?
It's a perfectly valid point and a fair comparison.
The Eels have just spent millions on a new car park and have a DA into council for a 17 story hotel project adjacent to the Leagues Club.
Surely we can, like those London clubs, combine with a developer to do all this ourselves?

VictoryFC

Bench
Thanks for reinforcing my point as to why we are so far behind.
Why can't we get private financing of stadiums?
It's a perfectly valid point and a fair comparison.

Are you serious?

What club in the NRL could finance the building of a $500m-1.5b stadium?

Arsenal had revenues of $722 million last year. For a stadium that cost $700 million to build in 2004-06, still paying it off...

Financing new stadiums privately for sports teams in general is practically unheard of in the modern day. Whether that's in Europe or the US, let alone here.

Suitman

Post Whore
Are you serious?

What club in the NRL could finance the building of a $500m-1.5b stadium?

Arsenal had revenues of $722 million last year. For a stadium that cost $700 million to build in 2004-06, still paying it off...

Financing new stadiums privately for sports teams in general is practically unheard of in the modern day. Whether that's in Europe or the US, let alone here.

Yes, I am serious. You've just shown me examples of where it has happened in London.
Most MLS teams have got on board with rich owners and developed their own stadiums.
Tell me why Parramatta couldn't get on board with someone like Meriton to develop the current stadium, and instead of building a 17 level hotel by themselves, develop a 40 or 50 storey apartment block like Meriton have just built in Parramatta, and in the meantime, redevelop the stadium as well? We're talking about a $300 million stadium. Not the figures you have proposed about Arsenal. The North Parramatta development plan that is proposed and the increase in population for that area could easily in itself cover extra revenue needed for such developments.
We are backwards.

Canard

Immortal
Yes, I am serious. You've just shown me examples of where it has happened in London.
Most MLS teams have got on board with rich owners and developed their own stadiums.
Tell me why Parramatta couldn't get on board with someone like Meriton to develop the current stadium, and instead of building a 17 level hotel by themselves, develop a 40 or 50 storey apartment block like Meriton have just built in Parramatta, and in the meantime, redevelop the stadium as well? We're talking about a $300 million stadium. Not the figures you have proposed about Arsenal. The North Parramatta development plan that is proposed and the increase in population for that area could easily in itself cover extra revenue needed for such developments.
We are backwards.

Is naive even the right word for this post?

We are backwards.

Firstly, a lot of the loans taken out to finaace the building of Wembley Stadium were underwritten by the UK Government because they could not intially get the loans from the banks. Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-41850/Wembley-project-thrown-Government-lifeline.html

Also the North Parramatta development plan? Don't make me laugh. That eye sore will see all itss money swalloed by developers and/or the Parramatta light rail project. None of us locals believe anything else.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just like the new Perth Stadium proposals in the beginning, the vocal minority are the loudest and the anti-govt media get on board. Luckily, you had a govt prepared to push ahead and guess what - it has been an amazing success story for Perth.

Tbf we built two new hospitals at the same time so the moaners had little to complain about!

Majority here have been calling for subi to be replaced for over a decade, I didn’t really see any objection and generally most applauded the govt for finally making it happen after years and years of reports and proposals

Latest posts