What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Return of the sin-bin

langpark

First Grade
After Round 2 there have now been a total of 7 sin-bins. So it looks like we'll see them a lot more than in previous years.

2017: 43
2016: 17

It has always been a pet hate of mine, when a professional foul is committed at a critical moment, and only seeing a penalty given. Sin-bin is a fair punishment and a deserved advantage for the non-infringing team.

I wonder if they will also be stricter this year with foul play. The send off hasn't really existed over the last few years, as Soliola's hit on Slater and Taupau's on Jack Bird proved in 2017. Would be nice to see it get used more this year.

Parra

Referee
10 mins is harsh.

Inconsistency is rife.

At least have a card system instead of refs playing favourites. It's not perfect,but it is much better.

langpark

First Grade
10 mins is harsh.

Inconsistency is rife.

At least have a card system instead of refs playing favourites. It's not perfect,but it is much better.
Yep, needs ref discretion and good judgement. I think when a team is on the back foot and the other team is looking like they have a good chance of scoring, any deliberate act to halt that should be a sin-bin.

Big Salad

Juniors
Thought Eels should've had a second player in the bin today for the penalty conceded that lead to the penalty goal to take it to 50-0.

adamkungl

Immortal
Huge fan. Keep the crackdown coming.

10 mins isn't harsh. Losing a player for a professional foul (which is a fancy way to say cheating) doesn't 'ruin' games, it makes them better.

And as we've seen, a gutsy team can overcome it.

Next step is to start sending players off for illegal tackles which result in injury. More send offs, less suspensions and we'll have a better, fairer game.

mxlegend99

Referee
Im loving the return of regular sin bins. Although based on the ones being given, theres probably a handful of others that should have been given.

Still seems more consistent then prebious years though.

hellteam

First Grade
I'm fine with sin bins for try scoring situations and think generally this year been used well.

But against them for foul play that isn't really reckless/dangerous.

Rugby is a joke at the moment because of that - it feels like refs think they have to dish out multiple yellow cards a game and do it for the most minor foul play. Don't want it to become like that.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think the NRL have missed a massive publicity opportunity here by not having a physical 'bin' for the players to wait in..

Just a simple green wheelie bin* would do the trick..

Player comes off field, is made to get inside the bin and wait..

For added enhancement they should have the lid closed for the first 5 minutes so the sin binee cannot see what is going on out on the field.

For the remaining 5 minutes the player should be wheeled to the closest cluster of opposition fans to allow them to cop a bit of abuse to realise the impact their actions on field have on the fans off field..

After all without fans, there IS no game..

*Recycle bin for Mitch Moses..

langpark

First Grade
stat-attack_sin-bins_20180413.jpg

nick87

Coach
10 mins is harsh.

Inconsistency is rife.

Why would a card system result in less favouritism?
10 in the bin or a yellow card are still both subjective decisions prone to personal biases

justdave

Juniors
I think the NRL have missed a massive publicity opportunity here by not having a physical 'bin' for the players to wait in..

For added enhancement they should have the lid closed for the first 5 minutes so the sin binee cannot see what is going on out on the field.

For the remaining 5 minutes the player should be wheeled to the closest cluster of opposition fans to allow them to cop a bit of abuse to realise the impact their actions on field have on the fans off field..

I’d honestly just settle for one of those black council recycling bins.

mave

Coach

Sponsored by the Colonel, of course.

Latest posts