What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA tv rights discussion

Cricket Australia have spent the last few years trashing their one day internationals and now its reached the point that free to air broadcasters don't want to show them at current asking prices

Cricket Australia has scheduled way too many 50 over internationals the last few years when the rest of the world now plays more 20 over internationals than 50 overs. Then they trashed their 20 over internationals by only selecting a B side to play the 20 over games (as the test players were always booked to play an overseas test tour)

End result is all their one day internationals became 2nd rate entertainment and now no free to air broadcaster wants them

Cricket generally schedule way too many meaningless internationals anyways and maybe this will be a first step to reducing an overcrowded cricket schedule

They still rated well though. It was moslty struggling with the crowds.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Cricket has just lost a spectator.

I won't be the first and I won't be the last. Fuxtel is a parasite which I haven't subscribed to since 2008.

Anyway test cricket is on its last legs further compounded by the recent ball tampering antics.

billygilmore

Juniors
Believe me or not, it is spelt 'segue'. A 'segway' is two wheel battery powered transport device.

Please don't get upset.

And while we're on spelling, for the many users out there - it is spelt 'pedestal', not 'pedalstool' which would be a unicycle type seat that doesn't have a wheel.

Haha sorry I’m a qlder, we don’ts gets a great edumacations up ear

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Yet more power in Australian sports coverage for Foxtel. It's a sad day, even for people who generally don't give a shit about Cricket. They're parasites.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
James Sutherland seemed completely unaware that One Day Internationals are on the anti-siphoning list.

As it stands, this has not been addressed by Cricket Australia at all, in the context of this new rights deal.

What a shemozzle.

Edit: The Federal Communications Minister is a member of the IPA - the policy arm of the Liberal Party. The media policies are written by the Murdoch family, so the anti-siphoning list will be neatly changed on Monday to accomodate this deal.

Last edited:
National teams should be on free to air, goes for any sport.

So if Foxtel needed more exlusive content I think it would’ve been better to give them more BBL.

Give them 28 BBL games exclusively, that’s 50% of the regular season.

I know the kids love BBL, but that would still give you a match every second night on FTA throughout January & February

simmo05

Bench
James Sutherland seemed completely unaware that One Day Internationals are on the anti-siphoning list.

As it stands, this has not been addressed by Cricket Australia at all, in the context of this new rights deal.

What a shemozzle.

Edit: The Federal Communications Minister is a member of the IPA - the policy arm of the Liberal Party. The media policies are written by the Murdoch family, so the anti-siphoning list will be neatly changed on Monday to accomodate this deal.
Completely unaware.

69-05-41

Juniors
All of my dreams are coming true. First Vautin, now Clarke, Taylor and Warne. Just need Foxtel to pickup SOO rights to add another bunch of Nein rejects to the unemployment list. Warren, Fittler and Johns - please be next!

Iafeta

Referee
Will they offer up a 9wwos commemorative limited edition signed lithograph of the country rejoicing that there’s a good chance Ian Healy is a cooked goose?

Front-Rower

First Grade
James Sutherland seemed completely unaware that One Day Internationals are on the anti-siphoning list

They are and as long as they are in a contract signed by a FTA network with non-exclusive rights, CA can on sell to Fox. The alternative is if none of the FTA networks decline to make an offer and there is 12 weeks until an event, the rights may be sold to a Pay-TV service.

The anti-siphion law does not dictate that it must be shown on FTA it dictates that FTA stations have first dibs.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
They are and as long as they are in a contract signed by a FTA network with non-exclusive rights, CA can on sell to Fox. The alternative is if none of the FTA networks decline to make an offer and there is 12 weeks until an event, the rights may be sold to a Pay-TV service.

The anti-siphion law does not dictate that it must be shown on FTA it dictates that FTA stations have first dibs.

Fair enough. It would have been wise for Sutherland to have explained this better during the press conference.

I understand he didn't want to stress the negative, but avoiding the issue just made him look shifty.

What will Seven do during rain delays? Hopefully they will purchase the Nine archive to show old games.

billygilmore

Juniors
What will Seven do during rain delays? Hopefully they will purchase the Nine archive to show old games.

Oh I can see it now

Brayshaw: well as you can see folks it’s still raining here in Brisbane after lunch on the 3rd day, so we will pick the action back up in the in the 2nd quarter of Geelongs epic encounter with Hawthorn from round 12 2000

gUt

Coach
Believe me or not, it is spelt 'segue'. A 'segway' is two wheel battery powered transport device.

Please don't get upset.

And while we're on spelling, for the many users out there - it is spelt 'pedestal', not 'pedalstool' which would be a unicycle type seat that doesn't have a wheel.

For all intensive purposes, you're right.

lockyno1

Post Whore
National teams should be on free to air, goes for any sport.

So if Foxtel needed more exlusive content I think it would’ve been better to give them more BBL.

Give them 28 BBL games exclusively, that’s 50% of the regular season.

I know the kids love BBL, but that would still give you a match every second night on FTA throughout January & February

End of the day those extra BBL games will rate a lot more than some useless ODI's. Meh, not fussed if the ODI's are only on Fox.

Wizardman

First Grade
The decision does not hurt me as I have foxtel.

But, the move is incredibly short-sighted by CA. CA's job is to grow the game in Australia and to make it as accessible to Australians as possible. This deal has hurt the growth of cricket in a huge way.

Six years is a long time. It is basically a generation of school kids. Adults have the choice of accessing foxtel, kids don't. The brands of cricket kids will more likely latch onto are one day cricket and 20/20 cricket. I first gained interest in cricket through watching one day cricket as a kid. I found test cricket boring but gained interest as I got older.
Cricket as a junior sport is struggling as is due to its slower nature as a sport (kids waiting to bat or standing in the field for long periods of time).To basically wipe those formats off tv is killing off potential interest from generation of kids to play or consume the game. A sport in Australia survives by being able to watch the best of the best play.
CA is also killing off potential growth markets. As with kids, adults from different walks of life are more likely to gain interest in cricket through watching 20/20 than test cricket. My father has a European background and always hated test cricket. What he could do was watch the second innings of a one day match and enjoy it. This deal kills off new markets to the game.
A large part of Australia simply refuse to pay for their tv. The vast majority of pay-tv subscribers are paying for NRL and AFL. I seriously doubt many extra people will sign up to watch cricket.

mave

Coach
The end is nigh for the dinosaurs in the box.
Hopefully 7 can get some diversity in there.
Alison Mitchell for a start.

mave

Coach
Or the pommy Sheila that does the horse racing.
I could listen to her talk about nothing all day long.