What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA tv rights discussion

Eelectrica

Referee
Restricting ODI's to pay tv only is a horrible idea. I had a Foxtel deal which included everything for a couple of months, but that's expired now. I won't be going adding a sports package.
At least with the NRL there's a mix of games being available on Fox and FTA.

Should be still a few ODI's available on FTA IMHO.

lockyno1

Post Whore
They don’t.

Typical BBL match rates anywhere between 950k - 1.1m

ODI’s & T20i’s rare around 1.3 - 1.7m

Add them up- how many ODIS are there...there’s more BBL games. 20+ extra BBL games is better than a few ODI games. It’s more viewers over back to back days.

ODIS will still be on Fox

mozza91

Coach
The AFL reference meter will hit 5 figures by the 2nd morning of the Adelaide Test.

I wasn’t that interested in watching Australia A get hammered this summer. Now I have no interest.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The AFL reference meter will hit 5 figures by the 2nd morning of the Adelaide Test.

I wasn’t that interested in watching Australia A get hammered this summer. Now I have no interest.

Would you prefer Slater and co and their commentary? Ch9 is awful

ANTiLAG

First Grade
For all intensive purposes, you're right.

I think we can reach an agreeance in this doggy-dog-world that an eggcorn is the lesser of two equals to misspelling which we all ought to nip it in the butt lease we pick up bad habits.

You probably think I am bit of a damp squid or pre-Madonna, commiting a foe par that will make me a social leopard for making you my escape goat, for my own eggcorn writing that could with some duck tape repair itself so as to pass mustard. But this a mute point because to be Pacific, grammatically towing the line is a tough road to hoe requiring constant practice is no old wise tale.

So please curve your enthusiasm for eggcorns.

Last edited:
Add them up- how many ODIS are there...there’s more BBL games. 20+ extra BBL games is better than a few ODI games. It’s more viewers over back to back days.

ODIS will still be on Fox

That’s not what you said though, is it?

Anyway, under my suggestion of 12 extra BBL matches exclusively for Foxtel it’s pretty much the same amount of total viewers as 5 x ODI’s & 3 x T20i’s

12 BBL matches = 12 million viewers

8 ODI’s & T20’s = 12 million viewers

ANTiLAG

First Grade
That’s not what you said though, is it?

Anyway, under my suggestion of 12 extra BBL matches exclusively for Foxtel it’s pretty much the same amount of total viewers as 5 x ODI’s & 3 x T20i’s

12 BBL matches = 12 million viewers

8 ODI’s & T20’s = 12 million viewers

Yeah that's fine and well for those Bondi living, Chardonnay drinking, BMW driving, 50 over watching people, but what about me?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
The pub :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

All I’m saying is the make up of the FTA/Pay TV split should’ve been better.

You still have it much better in Aus than in NZ. All our cricket is nigh 100% on Pay TV, and what we pay for, which for most of us is a lot more money*, gets us far less content.

*New signups can get sports package at comparable to Foxtel prices after currency difference.

At least Australia has some genuine competition in the TV market.

You still have it much better in Aus than in NZ. All our cricket is nigh 100% on Pay TV, and what we pay for, which for most of us is a lot more money*, gets us far less content.

*New signups can get sports package at comparable to Foxtel prices after currency difference.

At least Australia has some genuine competition in the TV market.

Yeah that sucks.

NZ sports as I think you already suggested though need the money, tough position.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yeah that sucks.

NZ sports as I think you already suggested though need the money, tough position.

That isn't the issue for me. I would be a lot more content getting what Foxtel offers for the money combined with FTA. But forking out the ammount we have to pay in NZ, to not be able to watch Aus play Safrica (this was a huge series for any nuetral cricket fan), to not watch our own domestic T20 regularly, let alone domestic 50 over bar the final, is just a bit on the nose.

The Pay TV in NZ broadcaster makes a lot, and pays NZRU a lot (plenty of live domestic school union games up to be watched), and cricket and the cricket fan gets rather shafted. But as JJ says, there's only 12 of us in NZ.

I'd rather NZ became eligible for Willow, I'd just buy an NRL fan pass and Willow subscription and cancel Pay Satellite TV altogether.

Really hoping Amazon takes an interest in bidding for NZ sports to stream.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
If they put Brayshaw on the coverage, I will never watch.

I can see the cricket coverage being fumbleball-reference central now that it has gone to Channel 7.

cleary89

Coach
Who has rights to overseas tests?

Can I watch them via the CA app or do I still need to find streams?

undertaker

Coach
Restricting ODI's to pay tv only is a horrible idea..

ODIs have been dead in Australia for at least a decade, the beginning of the end started when the tri-series format was scrapped at the end of 2007/08 and before that, Fox Sports had to televise a India vs Sri Lanka match in Canberra just days out after Ch9 refused to do so. This also coincided with the rise of T20 cricket, starting with the introduction of the IPL a few months later.

ODIs only still exist because of the 1) World Cup (which is the ICC's biggest revenue-generating tournament) and 2) the BCCI (where ODIs between subcontinent teams India/Pakistan/Sri Lanka/Bangladesh also generate a lot of money). Long gone are the days when nearly all ODIs involving Australia sold-out and were very difficult to get tickets to, especially in the pre-online Ticketek days.

Whilst I'm happy to see Ch9 given the arse, I was hoping Ch10 would get more in the tv rights as their overall production of the BBL (excluding the occasional AFL references) has been fantastic over the past 5 years, and with the commentary team they had in Gilchrist/Ponting/M Waugh et al, they could've taken things to the next level had Ch10 been given an opportunity to broadcast tests/ODIs.

With Ch7 having AFL rights, it's inevitable that there will be some AFL personalities involved with the telecast, and also cross-promotion with the upcoming AFL season during the later stages of the BBL.

If they put Brayshaw on the coverage, I will never watch.

I can see the cricket coverage being fumbleball-reference central now that it has gone to Channel 7.

Just when us cricket fans on this forum thought that we had been spared of Brayshaw after he left Ch9 a couple of years ago, looks like there's a good chance he will be anchoring Ch7's cricket coverage, given he already has experience doing so when Ch7 simulcasted the 2001 Ashes with Sky Sports. Brayshaw was anchor alongside Jeff Thomson IIRC.

Either him, or if Ch7 go for a non-cricketing identity to host, it will be Bruce McAvaney, who the network sees as their version of Ken Sutcliffe: the guy who appears to be the sporting all-rounder and will fly here, there, everywhere whenever they televise a major sports event. Bruce has the runs (aka credentials) on the board when it comes to this regard.

Latest posts