What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George Illawarra's Tariq Sims charged for elbowing Chad Townsend in the neck

_Johnsy

Referee
What a lot of shit that charge is
Evidently tacklers don’t have to bend over anymore and they can just run at you chest on and grab you around the neck and shoulders and start wrestling the ball off you and the ball carrier isn’t allowed to brace himself for impact despite the fact you’ve only got one arm to defend yourself with
It will be interesting to see if any shoulder charges are layed from the Storm game last night as there were 2 very blatant ones by Slater
The refereeing is absolute shit,
Nope, completely disagree.
Tariq 193cm
Chad 181cm

I am as one eyed as they come, but there was no need for Tariq to raise his forearm. The onus is on the defender to not raise his elbow, not on Chad to bend or tackle him anywhere but below the head/jaw. First point of contact was with his jaw. After Burgess being charged, Tariq was always going to be charged. I just hope they're consistent.

blacksafake

First Grade
Common sense is no longer used in the game anymore when it comes to the bunker, refs & reviews. Hell, LAM was penalised last night for a “high” shot when the bloke fell into him. Klein even said I know he fell but you hit him high. There was no damage done so use some common sense & play on.

dragon thomo

Juniors
The annoying part of it all is that it probably would not be a issue if Andrew Johns never said anything . I dont mind Goulds comments as he has a fantastic football brain, but I do have a problem with commentators that have links with other clubs making comments that could effect our club. #Examples are Johns coaches halves at other clubs also his interests at Newcastle so highlighting possible incidents like Simms issue only helps his interests.
Gould highlights all of our players for State Origin which would also suits the Panthers if we are weakened.
There should not be any conflict of interests with commentators.

Old Timer

Coach
Nope, completely disagree.
Tariq 193cm
Chad 181cm

I am as one eyed as they come, but there was no need for Tariq to raise his forearm. The onus is on the defender to not raise his elbow, not on Chad to bend or tackle him anywhere but below the head/jaw. First point of contact was with his jaw. After Burgess being charged, Tariq was always going to be charged. I just hope they're consistent.
So the tall players have to run with their arms beside their bodies?
Just the mere action of pumping your arms while you run is enough to raise the elbow.
So maybe in your world once the ball carriers elbow reaches the height of his shoulder or in the case of a short arse tackler his shoulder, it should be an instant penalty because if a tackler gets in the wrong position he will cop it in the head or the throat?
Evidently no onus on the tackler evidently just the ball carrier and I thought this was a contact sport.

_Johnsy

Referee
So the tall players have to run with their arms beside their bodies?
Just the mere action of pumping your arms while you run is enough to raise the elbow.
So maybe in your world once the ball carriers elbow reaches the height of his shoulder or in the case of a short arse tackler his shoulder, it should be an instant penalty because if a tackler gets in the wrong position he will cop it in the head or the throat?
Evidently no onus on the tackler evidently just the ball carrier and I thought this was a contact sport.
Watch the tackle again & tell me that he had to raise his elbow (even you have stated he did it with one arm to "defend" himself). It's a choice he made carrying the ball running at a much smaller 1/2. No it shouldn't be an instant penalty, only when a player makes a conscious decision to raise his elbow and makes contact with someones head. I'm not sure if you've played much footy but the assertion that Chad Townsend got in "the wrong position" is laughable. It wasn't a historical "text book" tackle, but with the modern game it is expected the defender make efforts to wrap up the ball. In this instance Townsend did absolutely nothing wrong or illegal, unfortunately that mantle belongs to Tariq.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
What a lot of shit that charge is
Evidently tacklers don’t have to bend over anymore and they can just run at you chest on and grab you around the neck and shoulders and start wrestling the ball off you and the ball carrier isn’t allowed to brace himself for impact despite the fact you’ve only got one arm to defend yourself with
It will be interesting to see if any shoulder charges are layed from the Storm game last night as there were 2 very blatant ones by Slater
The refereeing is absolute shit,
Agree on Slater but Storm play to a different set of rules....and to think McDonald was actually penalised the other night for a shoulder charge which was nothing close to a shoulder charge...Billy is losing a lot respect with his diving efforts though.

Old Timer

Coach
Watch the tackle again & tell me that he had to raise his elbow (even you have stated he did it with one arm to "defend" himself). It's a choice he made carrying the ball running at a much smaller 1/2. No it shouldn't be an instant penalty, only when a player makes a conscious decision to raise his elbow and makes contact with someones head. I'm not sure if you've played much footy but the assertion that Chad Townsend got in "the wrong position" is laughable. It wasn't a historical "text book" tackle, but with the modern game it is expected the defender make efforts to wrap up the ball. In this instance Townsend did absolutely nothing wrong or illegal, unfortunately that mantle belongs to Tariq.
Whilst defenders can make attempts to wrap up the ball with impunity you will eventually take the ball playing forward out of the game.
If the ball is in the arm under the shoulder and that is obviously where the elbow is also going to be then there is a duty of care on the tackler not to put his head near it and the disparity of the height of players merely accentuates it if people get it wrong.
Re playing footy yep played plenty and at 6'3'' and 110 kgs I loved smashing into big blokes and little blokes.
If you wanted to be up around my shoulders and head well then get the f**k out of the road.
I am all for stamping out dirty play like lifting the elbow and deliberately pointing the elbow at the players face but IMO there was no intent in what Sims did.
By the way have a look at Beau Scott in the game last night he deliberately used his elbow on the face and neck of players whilst on the ground and nothing will be done about that very deliberate act.

Red V for life

Juniors
I’ll have to look at this again. I thought he used his forearm not raised his elbow. Now whether that makes a difference, I dunno as I can’t remember the rules on this.

Like the shoulder charge, I won’t be surprised if the nrl legislate that no raised arms unless attempting a fend. If so, strap in coz it’ll be a joy to behold seeing that policed

BennyV

Referee
Playing as a prop, I’d never think to raise an elbow or forearm to ‘protect myself’ the way that Burgess, Sims and JWH do. Tucking your arm in close, gripping the ball and leading with the shoulder was the best form of self preservation while still giving the ability to run at your hardest.

The only reason to lift the arm like that is to hurt the opposition. You do that, you run the risk of it going wrong and being penalised. Simple.

Dragsters

First Grade
I’ll have to look at this again. I thought he used his forearm not raised his elbow. Now whether that makes a difference, I dunno as I can’t remember the rules on this.

Like the shoulder charge, I won’t be surprised if the nrl legislate that no raised arms unless attempting a fend. If so, strap in coz it’ll be a joy to behold seeing that policed

Watching it at the time and seeing the replay it looked to me like it was at attempt at a palm off to the face that slid down the forearm...

Gareth67

First Grade
The annoying part of it all is that it probably would not be a issue if Andrew Johns never said anything . I dont mind Goulds comments as he has a fantastic football brain, but I do have a problem with commentators that have links with other clubs making comments that could effect our club. #Examples are Johns coaches halves at other clubs also his interests at Newcastle so highlighting possible incidents like Simms issue only helps his interests.
Gould highlights all of our players for State Origin which would also suits the Panthers if we are weakened.
There should not be any conflict of interests with commentators.

Agree with you drago thomo , he has a habit of doing just that and for mine he is fully aware of what the consequences could possibly be . You can tell by the way the beggar's eyes move downwards after exposing the player to all and sundry .

All commentary made by these chaps should be neutral , easier said than done I know , as everyone has an allegiance to a particular team , but the foul play should be left to the judiciary to act upon and them alone .

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade

This is one bloke ( Hargreaves ) that certainly needs a long break from the game for his trademark ' elbow ' running. More so now that there are ( and has been for yonks ) no fisticuffs allowed in Rugby League .
That type of contact only infuriates the poor blighter ( if not already knocked out ) or at the very least his teammates who rush in to unleash hell and fury on the culprit .

The bloke is a damn big unit and does not need to resort to such foul tactics and the fact that it goes on without a referee calling him out makes it more disconcerting.

# Gentlemen I was referring to the Rooster Hargraves .

Last edited:
f**k thats stupid. Burgess should have never been rubbed out to start with and Souths supporters had every right to blow up about Sims not being picked up.
Absolute rubbish and was a knee jerk reaction because Morris stayed down

Gareth67

First Grade
f**k thats stupid. Burgess should have never been rubbed out to start with and Souths supporters had every right to blow up about Sims not being picked up.
Absolute rubbish and was a knee jerk reaction because Morris stayed down

My eyesight isn't the best , but even blind Freddy could see that slamming Sam had made contact to Morris's throat . Cannot believe that you could think otherwise . Perhaps you need to make an appointment with an optometrist for those eyes of yours ? ?

Last edited:
My eyesight isn't the best , but even blind Freddy could see that slamming Sam had made contact to Morris's throat . Cannot believe that you could think otherwise . Perhaps you need to make an appointment with an optometrist for those eyes of yours ? ?

Didn't say that contact wasn't made champ?
However, Stevie Wonder could have told it wasn't intentional and just contact made in a tackle.
Its unfortunate but nothing shits me more than when players are rubbed out purely because somebody was hurt during contact. I feel that it was an overreaction and most definitely not worth 2 weeks.
Perhaps I could show you the difference between an intentional and accidental forearm to the throat :wink:

Heavy D

Juniors
Playing as a prop, I’d never think to raise an elbow or forearm to ‘protect myself’ the way that Burgess, Sims and JWH do. Tucking your arm in close, gripping the ball and leading with the shoulder was the best form of self preservation while still giving the ability to run at your hardest.

The only reason to lift the arm like that is to hurt the opposition. You do that, you run the risk of it going wrong and being penalised. Simple.

When I played as a prop, I did it sometimes, purely on instinct to protect my head. Never connected with another player in the face but. Didn't even think twice about it until a sharks trainer had a quiet word with me one session.

Fifita, I thought would surely attract some attention, from his numerous elbow drops to the heads of our players. I feel sorry for my wife, the way I yell as I watch the game!!!

Latest posts