What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dogs 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Excellent defensive display with our guys making over 100 more tackles than the opposition and the boys just kept turning up and digging in. Obviously the attack was non-existent but we had very few opportunities mainly due to making errors when we did get the ball. I can almost forgive the errors in the last 15 minutes of the game because the team was nearing exhaustion and the ref would not give us a break.

I thought the sin binning of Latrell was a dreadful call. It was hardly flagrant as he tackled him a split second before he had the ball with Teddy in front of him and even if we waited a split second later Latrell still gets him. Penalty only.

They must have really worked on ruck defence and defence in general during the week after last week's pathetic effort because we didn't concede a single line break for the first time this season.

As for 3 2 1s, there are a lot of players who could get points, there were some massive tackle makers and metre eaters.

3 Teddy - Defensive positioning was sublime and time after time he prevented repeat sets and he also made 5 tackle busts and ran for a heap of metres
2 Matterson - Tackled himself to a stand still
1 Cordner - 50 tackles and near on 150m

Honourable mention to everyone else defensively who just kept putting in. I thought Cronk had the right kicks at the right time with not much luck. That flat cross field one could have easily been a try and the one near the end that just dribbled over the dead ball line was very close.

H.H

Juniors
You're a bit more positive than I am about that game. Just feel like we have a long way to go, but the effort is there and you definitely don't want to be peeking now.

3 - Radley
2 - Cordner
1 - Teddy

Thought Radley's defence was immense and he really shook some of them up, even in that last set he rattled Elliott with a great shot. Love that kid.

Valheru

Coach
You're a bit more positive than I am about that game. Just feel like we have a long way to go, but the effort is there and you definitely don't want to be peeking now.

3 - Radley
2 - Cordner
1 - Teddy

Thought Radley's defence was immense and he really shook some of them up, even in that last set he rattled Elliott with a great shot. Love that kid.

I'm far from happy with the ball handling and flat attack but at this stage of the season we may as well concentrate on the positives which was a great defensive performance under extreme pressure.

I said in another thread that this was reminiscent of Broncos in 2013 where we won 8-0 in very similar circumstances. Our attack started to click after that game so hopefully history will repeat itself.

Not receiving a penalty after the 25th minute didn't help our cause yesterday either.

Headless Chook

Juniors
I pretty much agree with everything you have said Val. I think they became fixated on defence, (hardly surprising after the turnstile effort last week - and great to see!) It was like a badge of honour they were desperately seeking by keeping the Dogs scoreless. Our attack and handling was always going to suffer after all that.

Would have been interesting to see what would’ve happened if the Dogs had have scored a couple early on though. We are pretty fragile atm.

3. Matterson
2. Radley
1. Teddy

H.H

Juniors
I'm far from happy with the ball handling and flat attack but at this stage of the season we may as well concentrate on the positives which was a great defensive performance under extreme pressure.

I said in another thread that this was reminiscent of Broncos in 2013 where we won 8-0 in very similar circumstances. Our attack started to click after that game so hopefully history will repeat itself.

Not receiving a penalty after the 25th minute didn't help our cause yesterday either.

Yeah that's all fair enough. Some rough calls too with the Lattrell sin binning and Morris clearly going into touch but allowed to pass and play on (where have I seen that before?).

Onwards an upwards, I have a strangely good feeling about ANZAC Day.

I’m a little more encouraged than you lot. Sure there were some dumb mistakes but fatigue played a huge part especially when you consider the calls that went against us to give the Dogs even more posession - not to mention the ten minute effort in Lattrel’s absence. We kept the merkins nil! Yes, I know their attack was predictable but we kept the merkins nil!

I hope we’re fit for Wednesdee cos I’m sure they’re still feeling buggered.

3 - Radley
2 - Cordner
1 - Teddy

Tommy Smith

Referee
3. Teddy. His defence doesn't get the plaudits it deserves.
2. Matterson. He'll never make more tackles in his career.
1. Cordner. Getting back to his best.

Overall it was a very encouraging defensive performance after some very lacklustre displays vs Souffs and the Warriors.

3 points: Ryan Matterson. In a defensive arm wrestle, he deserves it after making 65 tackles(according to nrl.com) in a fine 80 minute performance.

2 points: James Tedesco. 12 tackles is a lot for a full back, but he made some ripper last ditch tackles. Also ran for a staggering 201 metres.

1 point: Boyd Cordner. 47 tackles coupled with 15 runs for 135 metres gained. Classy effort.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
3. Cords
2. Matterson
1. Teddy

Honorable mention to Jake Friend- Not one kick all game and only one ineffectual run from dummy half where he tripped over himself and made about 2 m... he can have my most improved vote... or is it a less shit than last week vote? one of those two

Valheru

Coach
3. Cords
2. Matterson
1. Teddy

Honorable mention to Jake Friend- Not one kick all game and only one ineffectual run from dummy half where he tripped over himself and made about 2 m... he can have my most improved vote... or is it a less shit than last week vote? one of those two

:D

Helps that he was off the field for most of the game