What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 Vs the DOGS

OldPanther

Coach
We honestly only ever had issues when Dill got injured and there was some structure issues in defence. Once Yeo got to centre we were fine. I was at the game and Tamou looked a little angry, I think he read the forum. He seems to be trying to follow the other forwards more and more.

Some stats:

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2018/04/28/skins-stat-attack-round-8/

James Fisher-Harris topped the tackle count while Trent Merrin made some big metres in the Panthers defiant win over the Bulldogs at Panthers Stadium.

The key stats are as follows:

MOST TACKLES
James Fisher-Harris: 46
Reagan Campbell-Gillard: 35
Sione Katoa: 35
James Tamou: 33
Viliame Kikau: 24

MOST METRES
Trent Merrin: 153m (15 runs)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak: 150m (17 runs)
James Tamou: 127m (11 runs)
Christian Crichton: 121m (13 runs)
Tyrone Peachey: 116m (14 runs)
Isaah Yeo: 116m (13 runs)
POST-CONTACT METRES
Trent Merrin: 58m
James Tamou: 52m
Isaah Yeo: 52m
Viliame Kikau: 48m
Christian Crichton: 46m

MOST OFFLOADS
Viliame Kikau: 4
James Maloney: 2
James Fisher-Harris: 2
Corey Harawira-Naera 2

TACKLE BREAKS
Tyrone Peachey: 6
Viliame Kikau: 4
Isaah Yeo: 4
Dylan Edwards: 3
Christian Crichton: 3
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak: 3
James Tamou: 3

TRY ASSISTS
Tyrone Peachey: 2
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak: 1

GOAL KICKING
James Maloney: 5 from 6

TEAM STATS
RUN METRES - Panthers: 1553m | Bulldogs: 1226m
POSSESSION - Panthers: 54% | Bulldogs: 46%
COMPLETED SETS - Panthers: 29 | Bulldogs 26
COMPLETION RATE - Panthers: 78% | Bulldogs 72%
TACKLE BREAKS - Panthers: 35 | Bulldogs 30
TACKLES - Panthers: 291 | Bulldogs 320

Pomoz

Bench
Whatever the numbers on their back, Maloney needs to be the one with the most ball in his hands.

Freddy gave him a huge wrap after the game

I reckon Freddy is spot on. The Fox commentators were talking about how Cleary comes back as main playmaker when he returns form injury and how does the team adjust to that. The answer is they don't. Maloney is the main playmaker and Cleary needs to sit back, watch and learn his trade. He is not in the same class as Maloney yet and has yet to show he can be a playmaking half consistently. This is a perfect opportunity for him to learn how its done from somebody who is an expert at it.

We would be in serious trouble now if we had Moylan instead of Maloney. We would have lost the games he has controlled and won for us with his kicking and game management. Our season of injuries just wouldn't have suited Moylan's skills, because he would have been the main man with Peachey (oh my god, how bad would that be), but it was made for Maloney's blend of trickery and calmness.

Ironically, I think Moylan would have been brilliant as a foil to Maloney. He could pop up and improvise when needed and let Jimmy guide the team around. Ahh well, what might have been.

I reckon Freddy is spot on. The Fox commentators were talking about how Cleary comes back as main playmaker when he returns form injury and how does the team adjust to that. The answer is they don't. Maloney is the main playmaker and Cleary needs to sit back, watch and learn his trade. He is not in the same class as Maloney yet and has yet to show he can be a playmaking half consistently. This is a perfect opportunity for him to learn how its done from somebody who is an expert at it.

We would be in serious trouble now if we had Moylan instead of Maloney. We would have lost the games he has controlled and won for us with his kicking and game management. Our season of injuries just wouldn't have suited Moylan's skills, because he would have been the main man with Peachey (oh my god, how bad would that be), but it was made for Maloney's blend of trickery and calmness.

Ironically, I think Moylan would have been brilliant as a foil to Maloney. He could pop up and improvise when needed and let Jimmy guide the team around. Ahh well, what might have been.
That's why they should be the NSW halves

TheFrog

Coach
The Frog's Player Ratings

Edwards 5
Crichton 6
Harawira-Naera 7
Whare 7
Watene-Zelezniak 8
Peachey 7
Maloney 8
Merrin 7
Katoa 6
Campbell-Gillard 8
Yeo 8
Kikau 6
Fisher-Harris 7

Leota 8
Tamou 7
Hetherington 6
Egan 5

franklin2323

Immortal
On Wallace, I think the best decision would be to rest him until he is 100% over his injury and play Katoa and Egan in the meantime. When he isnt carrying an injury, on the whole I think he should still be in the side. But it is silly to play him when injured and then have our hooker performing at 50%.

I am sure he will get many 'rest' games problem is Katoa is still likely to have a rush of blood or something. So still prefer Wallace to start with Katoa on the last 30mins or so to up the tempo to help get us home

Sime_11

Juniors
Just rewatched the second half on fox - I think there’s a case there for Klemmer head butting Merrin in that scrum which caused the melee....

OldPanther

Coach
Always good value to be had in the Kennel.

His defence in the middle of the field was sorely missed when the Bulldogs were on the charge, and last week as well when he clearly wasn't right.

I don't agree. Our defence was only off a little when we lost Edwards and Kikau went to centre. Other than that the Dogs never looked on top and we won field position every time we went set for set. Both Egan and Katoa did a good job.

I don't agree. Our defence was only off a little when we lost Edwards and Kikau went to centre. Other than that the Dogs never looked on top and we won field position every time we went set for set. Both Egan and Katoa did a good job.
They did a very good job and JFH dominated the middle but the dogs are also a very average side

Panther Pete

Juniors
They did a very good job and JFH dominated the middle but the dogs are also a very average side
I am really happy with the win, our aggression and intensity was there for the full 80 minutes but you are right that the dogs are an ordinary side. They didn't score a point last week against the chooks.

mxlegend99

Referee
I am really happy with the win, our aggression and intensity was there for the full 80 minutes but you are right that the dogs are an ordinary side. They didn't score a point last week against the chooks.
Their attack is terrible.

If we didnt struggle to adapt to midgame changes they don't score against us either.

Once we sorted out our lineup they sucked.

OldPanther

Coach

Their attack is terrible.

If we didnt struggle to adapt to midgame changes they don't score against us either.

Once we sorted out our lineup they sucked.

To give us a little credit their forwards aren't the problem. They just suck at capitalising on the good go forward usually. They absolutely steamrolled the Chooks but got nowhere against us. Our middle is solid as f**k.

I hope Franklin saw I praised Tamou :joy:

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah Philips is a certainty now.

We havent really got a choice. Hes a top squad player. He's now fit. He looks solid anf has experience