What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

I was watching the Eels on my ipad and had the ALeague on the TV.

FMD soccer players are pussies. NRL guys bash the shit out of each other compared to soccer players who roll around on the ground with hands covering their face when they get glanced.

You still watching? A fair effort from the Victory keeper after someone tried to kick his head off.

Suitman

Post Whore
FMD soccer players are pussies. NRL guys bash the shit out of each other compared to soccer players who roll around on the ground with hands covering their face when they get glanced.

We are well aware that is what you think.
Why do you keep watching then?
Different games. Different cultures.
Get over it, or don't bother with it.

Gronk

Staff member
We are well aware that is what you think.
Why do you keep watching then?
Different games. Different cultures.
Get over it, or don't bother with it.

Simulation is cheating, against the rules and more importantly against the spirit of the sporting contest. Your “different cultures” comment must mean that you accept and tolerate it ? If so, I don’t get why you do.

In extreme cases, I have seen matches where a player goes down, is carted off on a stretcher. The hops off and runs back on. That’s WWE wrestling stuff!

In the NRL when scrums used to be contested, half backs would put the ball in the second row. In the ruck there would be sneaky hands on the ball to cause a fumble. FMD us fans used to be enraged by that bullshit. Thankfully our laws changed to (mostly) rid these frustrations from the game. Soccer however shrugs their shoulders at it and fans ignore it ?

I enjoy the game, but to me it is spolied by these antics and I think it’s a crying shame. I don’t get why you say to me oh well don’t watch it.

I wonder what your reaction was in 2006 to this ? Did you appaud his sportsmanship?

I recall being at a party just after it and I met a former socceroo who was then working as a sports master of a private school. He said that the Italian guy was right to do that “because goals are hard to get”.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
FFS gronk players with fake injuries being carted off on stretchers is some of the funniest youtube viewing around .... its quality entertainment

Gronk

Staff member
giphy.gif

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
In fairness, it is a trend that we are seeing in a lot of sports, not just soccer.

I don’t like it but if the players can take advantage of the rules then more power to them.

strider

Post Whore
I hate that players started to dive in league ..... and thankfully they try and do something about it

Gronk

Staff member
In fairness, it is a trend that we are seeing in a lot of sports, not just soccer.

I don’t like it but if the players can take advantage of the rules then more power to them.

Players will do it if they can get away with it. Of course they will.

My point is - why do fans accept that is part of their game and why don’t refs actively pursue the irradiation of the problem?

Gronk

Staff member
I hate that players started to dive in league ..... and thankfully they try and do something about it

Thankfully the “culture” in league is to call the dog out.

I always suspected Jarryd when he used to lay motionless after a big hit. IIRC Bennett called him out on it once. I don’t think he did it to pull a penalty, he had his own Jarryd reason I think.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Players will do it if they can get away with it. Of course they will.

My point is - why do fans accept that is part of their game and why don’t refs actively pursue the irradiation of the problem?
He probably just felt attacked and tried too hard to prove a point.

I doubt he seriously likes that part of the game. If he does then he’s a plonker.

Gronk

Staff member
its not just soccer, for evidence I refer you to Billy Slater
Are referring to when he runs through the line and bumps into the defence and claims that he is impeded ? Thankfully we look for these ploys. Also refs now actively call out merking “milking” in the ruck.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I love football, but hate the diving culture.

Just like how I love cricket, but hate sledging.

For the record, though - football referees do have the ability to hand a player a yellow card for diving.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
what he has been doing is clearly simulation, or diving, what ever you want to call it

Gronk

Staff member
I love football, but hate the diving culture.

Just like how I love cricket, but hate sledging.

For the record, though - football referees do have the ability to hand a player a yellow card for diving.
I’ve seen them do it in the A League I’m sure.