What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 World Cup draw released

Storm13

Juniors
One World Cup I'll gladly miss. Been a pleasure watching Ireland and the likes causing upsets for the past few cups. Hope Afganistan can cause a few upsets to bring peace to their nation.

Timbo

Staff member
One World Cup I'll gladly miss. Been a pleasure watching Ireland and the likes causing upsets for the past few cups. Hope Afganistan can cause a few upsets to bring peace to their nation.

That’s how peace in Afghanistan will be caused? I was under the impression it would be due to gradual democratic and economic reforms allowing it to transition from a narco-despotic state into a functioning representative democracy.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
That’s how peace in Afghanistan will be caused? I was under the impression it would be due to gradual democratic and economic reforms allowing it to transition from a narco-despotic state into a functioning representative democracy.

Well that may all help if you think democracy is the only way to achieve peace in a nation, but either way the bullets need to stop being shot and bombs stop exploding first I think :p

There's a great story about the Sri Lankan civil war which was waged between 1983 and 2009 many on here will know, but those that don't, every time Sri Lanka played an international match, there were temporary ceasefires obeyed by both sides of the conflict, so the people of Sri Lanka could watch the games in peace. This included the entire duration of the 2007 World Cup. I think this is one of the nicest cricketing stories there is.

Murali himself is a Tamil, and the Tamil freedom fighters were the conquered side ultimately losing the War. And he has done his fair share too to help bring the country together after the conflict ceased.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/mar/13/how-cricket-saved-sri-lanka

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/c...aran-toes-line-in-Sri-Lanka-riven-by-war.html

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...aa10f0b60?sv=990c2997e40c7278ab23481d4300af6c

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Fair enough.

This result shows 2 things:

The 10 team world cup is a farce.

England's style is very vulnerable.

3 things. Their attack is very ordinary

Great effort by the Scots but if anything like that attack runs out in the WC England are going to be embarrassed again. Picking bowlers because they can bat a bit without actually caring how good a bowler they are just leads to a shithouse attack

ANTiLAG

First Grade
And yet the England batting and bowling will both improve with the return of Stokes and Woakes.

Wood is ordinary and a lucky benefactor that the above were not playing. Plunkett is only picked on his bowling ability.

Ali and Rashid may be ordinary as spinners, but they're the best options England has at present and Ali's batting is defintely a feather in his cap.

England isn't going to change its formula after losing to Scotland in one game with players out after beating Aus and NZ away in ODI's with it. this past summer.

Willey is a problem for them though. They with 6 bowlers only bowl him uptop for swing and don't bowl him out when the ball stops swinging. Yet he is not replicating his domestic runs at intl level. At all.

He's not batting well, he's not back end bowling well, he is basically a swing bowling luxury that the current team is unable to afford to successfully carry.

Last edited:

Latest posts