What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Draft Season 2018

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Are you serious??

Salary is one of the BIG reasons drafting a QB is appealing.

If they grabbed a QB at 2 they would essentially be paying him about 6-7M a year for potentially the next 5 years.

That’s chump change for a QB.

Obviously taking out the other guys on rookie deals... you would essentially be paying him about half of what Tyrod Taylor makes... 3-4M less than what Josh McCown makes...
Tyrod is a starter. It makes sense for other teams but with Eli he could be around for another 3 to 4 years. If that's the case it's a lot of money for a backup and a waste of a pick in terms of value for the team.

It all depends on how the Giants view Eli. In their position a developmental qb makes sense to me. The odds aren't much worse of them panning out than the 2nd qb picked in a draft.

And yes 6-7 million guaranteed is a large cap hit if a player ends up being useless. The fifth year option is the bigger advantage, if they pan out

shiznit

Coach
Tyrod is a starter. It makes sense for other teams but with Eli he could be around for another 3 to 4 years. If that's the case it's a lot of money for a backup and a waste of a pick in terms of value for the team.

It all depends on how the Giants view Eli. In their position a developmental qb makes sense to me. The odds aren't much worse of them panning out than the 2nd qb picked in a draft.

And yes 6-7 million guaranteed is a large cap hit if a player ends up being useless. The fifth year option is the bigger advantage, if they pan out
He would be getting paid in the region of what Chase Daniels & Mike Glennon will be getting. Which is back up money.

Your talking about a QB with a first round grade.

That’s entirely different to a developmental prospect with a 2nd or 3rd round grade.

The way it’s looking... we may not have another QB with a first round grade until 2021.

And you really want to pass on a QB when your picking at #2 in a draft that has 4 QB’s with a first round grade.

The Giants may well be confident that Eli has 3-4 years left... but 3-4 years of what?? even taking out of the equation Eli’s age...

his QBR has plummeted almost 20pts in the last two seasons.

You talk about having no guarantees that you will hit on the QB you select...

But i think a better way to look at is will you hit on bringing Eli back for another 3-4 years.

Hey may not be perfect... but could still be better than Eli... which isn’t a very high bar as he’s getting worse and worse as the years go by...

But hey... they could well stink again and end up picking early next season... the only problem is there may not be another Darnold for another 3 years.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
He would be getting paid in the region of what Chase Daniels & Mike Glennon will be getting. Which is back up money.

Your talking about a QB with a first round grade.

That’s entirely different to a developmental prospect with a 2nd or 3rd round grade.

The way it’s looking... we may not have another QB with a first round grade until 2021.

And you really want to pass on a QB when your picking at #2 in a draft that has 4 QB’s with a first round grade.

The Giants may well be confident that Eli has 3-4 years left... but 3-4 years of what?? even taking out of the equation Eli’s age...

his QBR has plummeted almost 20pts in the last two seasons.

You talk about having no guarantees that you will hit on the QB you select...

But i think a better way to look at is how will the QB compare to Eli over the next few seasons.

Hey may not be perfect... but could still be better than Eli... which isn’t a very high bar as he’s getting worse and worse as the years go by...

But hey... they could well stink again and end up picking early next season... the only problem is there may not be another Darnold for another 3 years.
How many QBs in the NFL that are legit franchise players were drafted in the top 5? Or the 2nd qb on the board?

Statistically speaking your odds of snagging a franchise qb in the 2nd to 4th are pretty much the same. You don't just take a qb at 2nd pick unless you are sure that's your guy. To me, Mayfield was the only one that was worth taking that high.

The scamble for QBs this year was insane, some teams will absolutely regret those decisions.

If you draft a crappy qb, you can't use them. If you draft another crappy player, you can still use them in some sort of rotation.

Darnold is legit, he still has some pretty big flaws in his game though, I don't know if he will end up being a player that was a must take type of player

shiznit

Coach
How many QBs in the NFL that are legit franchise players were drafted in the top 5? Or the 2nd qb on the board?

Statistically speaking your odds of snagging a franchise qb in the 2nd to 4th are pretty much the same. You don't just take a qb at 2nd pick unless you are sure that's your guy. To me, Mayfield was the only one that was worth taking that high.

The scamble for QBs this year was insane, some teams will absolutely regret those decisions.

If you draft a crappy qb, you can't use them. If you draft another crappy player, you can still use them in some sort of rotation.

Darnold is legit, he still has some pretty big flaws in his game though, I don't know if he will end up being a player that was a must take type of player
The problem with that is you can’t go on probabilities from how previous draft picks have panned our...

You have to judge the situation as it stands right now for your team and the guy your wanting to draft.

When a team evaluates a QB... they can’t afford to take into consideration the shitty choices other teams have made in QBs in the past... they need to have confidence in the scouts they have and the coaching staff to develop the talent.

All that stuff about how likely drafting a QB will pan out is just analytical horseshit...

If your going to be guided by that type of logic than you shouldn’t be making draft decisions IMO...

Firey_Dragon

Coach
The problem with that is you can’t go on probabilities from how previous draft picks have panned our...

You have to judge the situation as it stands right now for your team and the guy your wanting to draft.

When a team evaluates a QB... they can’t afford to take into consideration the shitty choices other teams have made in QBs in the past... they need to have confidence in the scouts they have and the coaching staff to develop the talent.

All that stuff about how likely drafting a QB will pan out is just analytical horseshit...

If your going to be guided by that type of logic than you shouldn’t be making draft decisions IMO...
The top 4 QB's drafted, weren't the top 11 talents in this draft.

You can say it's analytical horseshit, but it's extremely rare that even 2 QB's drafted in the first pan out. It depends on how the teams in question evaluate the talent, but I don't think you can be critical of the Giants if they evaluated Lauletta to add more value to their team by allowing them to get the best player in the draft.

I don't see Darnold, Allen or Rosen as generational talents. Lauletta is actually a really good QB, just raw. He's perfect for their situation.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
If that happens the Giants aren’t winning the division. He’s regressed, badly.

Dallas have the OL to enable the good RB shit QB route. NY don’t have an OL.
If you have a shit ol generally you don't have the luxury of training a qb either.

Eli may suck but it's highly unlikely a rookie would be any better. At least now they have a qb that they won't rush in and have an immediate guy entering that should provide relief for the qb.

I wouldn't have drafted the way they did, but I also think they would have wasted a pick drafting a qb in the first.

Latest posts