What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Game_Breaker

Coach
It has to be.

I kinda put it together after thinking about it... spoiler i guess...

Dr Strange said he saw 14 million futures and in only one did they win. So when he gave Thanos the Time Stone and said to Tony, "sorry but I had no choice" or something along those lines; well that was obviously part of the only winning scenario.

They need more than just the time stone

They’ll have to do a Thanos and collect all stones, and “unclick” Thanos’ work

Meaning when it comes to collecting the soul stone, someone has to die

Dr Strange needed Tony to be alive for this reality, hence why he bargained with Thanos to spare his life

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I love to poo-poo Comic Book movies, and it’s been pretty easy to do so with same generic shit we have been getting the last 3-4 years.

So I went into this with quite low expectations. How would they juggle so many characters? How would they keep us guessing? Could they make it fun but keep the lame jokes to a minimum?

Well they fkn nailed it....Absolutely fkn nailed it, magnificent. Honestly apart from a few tiny insignificant things I couldn’t really fault it at all.

Just Epic.

Danish

Referee
Just got back fro IW...

I dunno why, but i left the theatre bored. The first hour they handled as well as could be expected trying to rope in all these characters together, and it seemed to be building up pretty well. But the ending? Come on man.

For 10 years we have been told that Thanos simply cannot be allowed to collect all the infinity stones as it will be the end of the universe, but I guess that was all fake news. Thanos’s grand master plan has come to fruition, half the universe is eliminated.... but all will be restored after the next movie with the profitable characters brought back from the dead, rendering the entire Thanos gauntlet story arc meaningless. The stakes are completely removed as far as I’m concerned.

The MCU is too big and profitable for its own good IMO. No movie is ever allowed to actually have an actual conclusion, with each just acting as a preview for the next.

PJ

First Grade
Just got back fro IW...

I dunno why, but i left the theatre bored. The first hour they handled as well as could be expected trying to rope in all these characters together, and it seemed to be building up pretty well. But the ending? Come on man.

For 10 years we have been told that Thanos simply cannot be allowed to collect all the infinity stones as it will be the end of the universe, but I guess that was all fake news. Thanos’s grand master plan has come to fruition, half the universe is eliminated.... but all will be restored after the next movie with the profitable characters brought back from the dead, rendering the entire Thanos gauntlet story arc meaningless. The stakes are completely removed as far as I’m concerned.

The MCU is too big and profitable for its own good IMO. No movie is ever allowed to actually have an actual conclusion, with each just acting as a preview for the next.

Pretty much how I felt, excluding the final paragraph.

All the deaths at the end were meaningless and obviously so.

vvvrulz

Coach

Well we don't know that for sure yet, even though you're likely to be right.

If they have a cop-out ending after this, that's a failure of that second movie, however judging this movie on it's own I thought it was a great ending.

PJ

First Grade
Well we don't know that for sure yet, even though you're likely to be right.

If they have a cop-out ending after this, that's a failure of that second movie, however judging this movie on it's own I thought it was a great ending.

How can it be a great ending when you know it is going to be undone?

PJ

First Grade
... but we don’t know.

And a movie that’s part of a wider whole can still be great e.g. Fellowship of the Ring

I'll come on and publicly apologise if it doesn't, but with half the deceased members being signed on for sequels I'm pretty confident that we do know.

And yeah, a part can be great still, but you said a great ending, and that I really can't understand.

vvvrulz

Coach
I'll come on and publicly apologise if it doesn't, but with half the deceased members being signed on for sequels I'm pretty confident that we do know.

And yeah, a part can be great still, but you said a great ending, and that I really can't understand.

Well ok, ending as in run time of the movie, I didn’t mean conclusion.

Marvel movies never conclude.

PJ

First Grade
Well ok, ending as in run time of the movie, I didn’t mean conclusion.

Marvel movies never conclude.

OK I misunderstood what you meant, but for mine that whole series of deaths really detracted from the whole thing and I was curious as to why I seem to be in the minority. hence my questions

Danish

Referee
OK I misunderstood what you meant, but for mine that whole series of deaths really detracted from the whole thing and I was curious as to why I seem to be in the minority. hence my questions

Yep, it just felt stupid. Hell even if they do actually stay dead it is stupid, since there was every indication while it was happening that this is all reversible.

When you introduce a literal rewind button to your entire universe, all consequences seem meaningless.

Reactions: PJ

hrundi99

First Grade
It's a tradition of comics for characters to die and then come back to life, so you have to accept that this will be a part of it. It's up to Marvel if they can do it in an original and/or satisfying way.

Gamora is supposedly trapped in the Soul Stone. I'd suggest that at least Heimdall and Loki aren't coming back, and based on their contracts and Chris Evans' comments, I'd say both Iron Man and cap will die or "retire" in Avengers 4. Thor was going to be added to that list but supposedly with the success of Ragnarok that may not be the case as Hemsworth really enjoyed it.

shiznit

Coach
It's a tradition of comics for characters to die and then come back to life, so you have to accept that this will be a part of it. It's up to Marvel if they can do it in an original and/or satisfying way.

Gamora is supposedly trapped in the Soul Stone. I'd suggest that at least Heimdall and Loki aren't coming back, and based on their contracts and Chris Evans' comments, I'd say both Iron Man and cap will die or "retire" in Avengers 4. Thor was going to be added to that list but supposedly with the success of Ragnarok that may not be the case as Hemsworth really enjoyed it.
Downey Jr absolutely loves Taika... apparently people are thinking Iron Man may appear on whatever MCU film Taika does next...

I honestly think he will just end up working on one of Taika’s indie films.

vvvrulz

Coach

Absolutely; in fact the comic books are atrocious when it comes to keeping characters dead. I think it all started with the death of Superman starting a precedence where some stupid deus ex machina resurrected just about everyone you can imagine.

It's easy to be critical of the flawed story telling of the Marvel movies, and I'm often one of those critics, but the source material is just as bad if not worse when it comes to 'deaths', plot holes and continuity errors. If the aim is to be true to the comics then the movies do that just fine.

Latest posts