What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chile set to take part in RLWC Qualifiers

yakstorm

First Grade
RLIF Press Release

Chile will become the first ever nation from South or Central America to contest a Rugby League World Cup qualifier.

With news that Federacion de Rugby Futbol League 13 Chile has become an affiliate member of the Asia Pacific Rugby League Confederation (APRLC), they have now been cleared to compete in qualifiers for the 2021 tournament.

The Chairman of the APRLC, Su’a Faafouina commented:

“We are delighted to continue growing our membership to cover all regions such as Asia, South America, Africa and the Pacific, we welcome Chile into the Asia Pacific Rugby League Confederation. ”

Chilean director Rodrigo Millar Pavez was head coach when the nation of 18 million defeated rivals Argentina at last year’s inaugural Latin American Rugby League Championships and was pivotal in their application for affiliation.

“The excitement and momentum this will create in not only Chile, but for the sport in the whole Latin American region, is spine-tingling to be honest,” Mr Millar Pavez said.

“To get to this point has taken a lot of co-operation between nations from the region and I’d like to thank the nations of Argentina, Colombia, Brasil, El Salvador and Mexico in particular for sharing their knowledge, and providing competition and friendship.

“In addition, I am aware that nations like Uruguay, Ecuador, Costa Rica and others are firming their domestic foothold.

“I’d also like to thank those from the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) for their understanding, guidance and patience in this unprecedented application process.

“We know there is a lot of work in front of us, but we are incredibly proud to be pioneers for the sport in Latin America.”

“Chile’s domestic efforts are largely grounded in the work done by president Guillermo Artiaga and vice-president Ronald Soto Badilla. From nothing, they have created competitions centred around the southern city of Los Angeles and the northern city of Antofagasta, and are set to embark on a third successive domestic season.”

Chile has played four international 13-a-side matches sanctioned by the RLIF to date, including wins against El Salvador, Brasil and Argentina, and a draw with Thailand, as well as an unofficial match against Poland.

Pommy

Coach
I work with a few Chileans here in Sydney, is there a big community any heritage players of note?

adamkungl

Immortal
I work with a few Chileans here in Sydney, is there a big community any heritage players of note?

Of the teams Latin Heat started, Chile has been the most successful in both on-field results and domestic development.
According to Wikipedia, census figures indicate that there are over 50,000 Chileans in Australia. Marcelo Montoya is the only player in the NRL with Chilean heritage, I believe.

langpark

First Grade
Some great news like this comes out, and for some reason, all people seem to always want to talk about is Aussie heritage players.

Anyone know who will they play against? USA, Canada and Jamaica I assume?

yakstorm

First Grade
You would imagine so, considering the only named qualification regions were:
  • Europe
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Middle East / Africa
  • America's
With two nations automatically qualifying from the Americas and a third going into the 16th Place Play-Offs, it's not a bad group for Chile to join, definitely an easier road than the African nations have.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I’m sure they don’t expect to qualify.
The opportunity to play usa, canada and jamaica will do wonders domestically.

latingringo101

Juniors
Just to let people know Chile (domestically) only started Rugby League up in 2016. To have them go from running training sessions in 2016 to play in World Cup qualifiers 2019 just goes to show how far the game has gone there!

Full credit goes to the Chilean Rugby League and Latin Heat for helping to make this come to reality!

As for how they will go, USA and Jamaica will be their toughest opponents,could possibly cause an upset against Canada i reckon!

Pommy

Coach
Some great news like this comes out, and for some reason, all people seem to always want to talk about is Aussie heritage players.

Anyone know who will they play against? USA, Canada and Jamaica I assume?

It’s just reality really, the system we have will mean thy need them to compete.
I wish every country could or would have teams like USA. But if they’re playing Jamaica and Canada they will be up a lots of Poms and Aussies.

Big Picture

Juniors
RLIF Press Release

Chile will become the first ever nation from South or Central America to contest a Rugby League World Cup qualifier.

With news that Federacion de Rugby Futbol League 13 Chile has become an affiliate member of the Asia Pacific Rugby League Confederation (APRLC), they have now been cleared to compete in qualifiers for the 2021 tournament.

The Chairman of the APRLC, Su’a Faafouina commented:

“We are delighted to continue growing our membership to cover all regions such as Asia, South America, Africa and the Pacific, we welcome Chile into the Asia Pacific Rugby League Confederation. ”

Chilean director Rodrigo Millar Pavez was head coach when the nation of 18 million defeated rivals Argentina at last year’s inaugural Latin American Rugby League Championships and was pivotal in their application for affiliation.

“The excitement and momentum this will create in not only Chile, but for the sport in the whole Latin American region, is spine-tingling to be honest,” Mr Millar Pavez said.

“To get to this point has taken a lot of co-operation between nations from the region and I’d like to thank the nations of Argentina, Colombia, Brasil, El Salvador and Mexico in particular for sharing their knowledge, and providing competition and friendship.

“In addition, I am aware that nations like Uruguay, Ecuador, Costa Rica and others are firming their domestic foothold.

“I’d also like to thank those from the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) for their understanding, guidance and patience in this unprecedented application process.

“We know there is a lot of work in front of us, but we are incredibly proud to be pioneers for the sport in Latin America.”

“Chile’s domestic efforts are largely grounded in the work done by president Guillermo Artiaga and vice-president Ronald Soto Badilla. From nothing, they have created competitions centred around the southern city of Los Angeles and the northern city of Antofagasta, and are set to embark on a third successive domestic season.”

Chile has played four international 13-a-side matches sanctioned by the RLIF to date, including wins against El Salvador, Brasil and Argentina, and a draw with Thailand, as well as an unofficial match against Poland.
The American countries should form an American Rugby League Federation.

Pommy

Coach
The American countries should form an American Rugby League Federation.

Probably not as easy as it sounds considering the NA top tier teams will be playing in Europe for the forsealble future.

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
Did the article say they are joining the Asia-Pacific conference?

Isnt there an American division?

Chile, Brazil and Argentina are all members of the APRLC.

Mexico, Uruguay and El Salvador are all applying to be members of APRLC.