What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann

rasaint

Juniors
I don’t think it’s a matter of Kurt ‘ got a taste of the middle’.

Like any player you can get your head inside not outside the tackle.This happened today to him and that stuffed us for a half back replacement ( given that our other halfback JDB was a passenger also today lol ) Kurt is solid to good whereever he plays. I don’t mind him at lock/ back row.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Mann got a taste of defending in the middle today. Mann vs Burgess what a mismatch.
Kurt should be in the backs not the forwards

He has defended there without issue the other 9 games too. Burgess is close to the best forward in the game.. and even then it’s an elbow that took him out.

I quite like having him in the role he is playing, however I don’t think we need another back on the bench. Mann as our 17 but doing the role h has been so far I’m fine with. (And the option as a back utility if required).

Problem yesterday with Hunt’s injury was that Mann was gone too

Redhoopz

Juniors
He has defended there without issue the other 9 games too. Burgess is close to the best forward in the game.. and even then it’s an elbow that took him out.

I quite like having him in the role he is playing, however I don’t think we need another back on the bench. Mann as our 17 but doing the role h has been so far I’m fine with. (And the option as a back utility if required).

Problem yesterday with Hunt’s injury was that Mann was gone too

I think he's almost playing as another forward. He has had strong carries and has defended well whenever he's been on the ground. Yesterday was unfortunate and that can happen to anyone...

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Its obviously much better playing lock than getting splinters but Why McGregor can't find a permanent spot for KURT ,really is hard to understand.and in yesterdays game when HUNT was hobbling around surely drag him off and put KURT somewhere 5/8 maybe widdop to halfback .........Mr conservative just doesn't want to look outside the square.....

hazzbeen

Bench
Its obviously much better playing lock than getting splinters but Why McGregor can't find a permanent spot for KURT ,really is hard to understand.and in yesterdays game when HUNT was hobbling around surely drag him off and put KURT somewhere 5/8 maybe widdop to halfback .........Mr conservative just doesn't want to look outside the square.....
This is where Mary falls down as a coach if he did look outside the square at times it might make him a better coach .

Mann needs to put on at least 10 kg if he is to transition to the forwards.

He should be playing wing or centre.

As the season wears on and the forwards become fatigued, his chances of being injured whilst defending will increase.

So much for player welfare.

My view is Mann either should start as a back or compete for the fourth bench spot.

Assuming LAM, Latimore and Sele take the first three bench spots, his competitors for the fourth bench spot are Robson, Host and Leilua.

We need a minimum of 3 strong forwards to get the job done particularly when finals footy starts.

Playing 5-10 minutes per game must be doing wonders for the morale of juniors :)

Zero game experience, zero opportunity to get up to speed and rhythm of FG.

Uplifting

Juniors
I think deep down most of us want Kurt Mann playing centre (or wing) for the Dragons.

If he has to come off the bench, I’d like him coming in to the backline or a third half if that’s even possible.

I hope he cements a FG spot this year.

Mann needs to put on at least 10 kg if he is to transition to the forwards.

He should be playing wing or centre.

As the season wears on and the forwards become fatigued, his chances of being injured whilst defending will increase.

So much for player welfare.

My view is Mann either should start as a back or compete for the fourth bench spot.

Assuming LAM, Latimore and Sele take the first three bench spots, his competitors for the fourth bench spot are Robson, Host and Leilua.

We need a minimum of 3 strong forwards to get the job done particularly when finals footy starts.

Playing 5-10 minutes per game must be doing wonders for the morale of juniors :)

Zero game experience, zero opportunity to get up to speed and rhythm of FG.
I agree with what you say.
Mann is still the most underutilized player in our squad.
When he finally gets game time he is always sharp, creative and an excellent defender.
There are 2 positions in our team where he could (and should) play full time.
Centre or wing.
Putting all the hype about Aitkin aside, Mann is a better option at centre and he could easily slot into Nightingale's wing position as well.
If Mann played in Aikin's position the dynamics of our back line would change dramatically.
1. Our defence on that size would improve dramatically.
2. Mann would actually pass the ball to Nightingale (or Lomax or whoever is ultimately chosen in that position) and create many more opportunities for scoring tries on that side.
Right now most of our tries are being scored on Lafai's side with McDonald being the beneficiary.
Mann would create a better balance in our backline and make us more potent.
Playing him off the bench as a forward is just a waste especially when you have guys like Host and Sele treading water in reserve grade.
Finally, your comment about juniors...I think it is diabolical to play them for 5-7 minutes as a token gesture.
Dufty has shown that these young guys can handle the jump up to FG if they are given game time so that they can acclimatize.
The will never be ready for FG being used as an afterthought on the bench.
So many negative traits from 2016 and 2017 were on show again on Sunday.
We will never win the comp playing with 16 players all year.

Gareth67

First Grade
Mann deserves a spot in the Dragon backline , far better defensive and also attacking player than Lafai . I would had said McDonald but in reality the man has only played 1 bad game for us this year , which coinsitenly was the same as a number of players did - in last weeks match .

Lafai has had a few good moments , but to me he seems a bit ' iffy ' at times . Replaced him with Mann and I am sure that he and Atkins would slowly build up a very solid combination between them . At the very least our defence would improve and I believe that there would be more try scoring opportunities .

Frank Facer

First Grade
I agree with what you say.
Mann is still the most underutilized player in our squad.
When he finally gets game time he is always sharp, creative and an excellent defender.
There are 2 positions in our team where he could (and should) play full time.
Centre or wing.
Putting all the hype about Aitkin aside, Mann is a better option at centre and he could easily slot into Nightingale's wing position as well.
If Mann played in Aikin's position the dynamics of our back line would change dramatically.
1. Our defence on that size would improve dramatically.
2. Mann would actually pass the ball to Nightingale (or Lomax or whoever is ultimately chosen in that position) and create many more opportunities for scoring tries on that side.
Right now most of our tries are being scored on Lafai's side with McDonald being the beneficiary.
Mann would create a better balance in our backline and make us more potent.
Playing him off the bench as a forward is just a waste especially when you have guys like Host and Sele treading water in reserve grade.
Finally, your comment about juniors...I think it is diabolical to play them for 5-7 minutes as a token gesture.
Dufty has shown that these young guys can handle the jump up to FG if they are given game time so that they can acclimatize.
The will never be ready for FG being used as an afterthought on the bench.
So many negative traits from 2016 and 2017 were on show again on Sunday.
We will never win the comp playing with 16 players all year.
Good post. You are echoing many of my sentiments.

Latest posts