What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 Commentators (Poll included)

Who should lead Channel 7’s Cricket Coverage

• Michael Slater

• Mel McLaughlin

• Jim Wilson

• James Brayshaw

• Mark Taylor

• Bruce McAvaney

Results are only viewable after voting.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Gilly can stumble over his words a bit but he's humble enough to laugh at himself when he does. AB has always been a quiet, thoughtful and again, humble, commentator. Julian is a bit of a goose but in a likeable way.

Good start so far - let's hope they keep Robert Craddock well out of it.

PJ

First Grade
Rushing to sign Warne.

Why?

Not having to listen to his dribble was one of the big wins for me with 9 losing the rights.

With Fox Sports announcement that Adam Gilchrist will lead their coverage. Channel 7 needs to find someone to head their team. In my opinion the job should be given to Michael Slater. Out of all of the Nine Commentators, he was the best. Best person to call the game. No one is better then him.

Other possible hosts are Seven News Presenters Mel McLaughlin & Jim Wilson. Other Cricketers like Mark Taylor and James Brayshaw. And Maybe even Bruce McAveney.

Thoughts ?

Timbo

Staff member
I'd like a combined team of Richie Benaud, Alan McGilvray, Darryl Eastlakes, Tupac, Nikola Tesla, Jesus of Nazereth and Otzi the Iceman.

Should spice things up a bit.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Fox Sports have added another five superstar commentators to their cricket coverage for the upcoming summer, with Mark Waugh, Mel Jones, Mike Hussey, Isa Guha and Michael Vaughan signing on with the pay-television broadcaster.

The talented quintet, who have played more than 1000 international matches between them, will join Australia legend Adam Gilchrist, Allan Border and Brendan Julian at the pay-tv network.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/fox...es-isa-guha-mark-waugh-mike-hussey/2018-05-13

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Fox Sports have added another five superstar commentators to their cricket coverage for the upcoming summer, with Mark Waugh, Mel Jones, Mike Hussey, Isa Guha and Michael Vaughan signing on with the pay-television broadcaster.

The talented quintet, who have played more than 1000 international matches between them, will join Australia legend Adam Gilchrist, Allan Border and Brendan Julian at the pay-tv network.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/fox...es-isa-guha-mark-waugh-mike-hussey/2018-05-13

There almost certainly goes his fun tweets about Australian cricket. #SellOut

Goodish commentator, twitter legend.

JJ

Immortal
Mark Waugh still a selector? Strange that a selector would be a commentator too

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Mark Waugh still a selector? Strange that a selector would be a commentator too

I actually really like this. And encourage it.

Not only are they forced to watch some cricket on occassion ;) - their selections and reasons get some decent on air scrutiny time via opprtunity and team lists released.

I liked Waugh's selector accountability during his BBL commentary and think its a selector strength in fact.

At the very least fans understand the selector thinking if not appreciate which selectors are thinking differently on what.

I'd personally love to see and hear Larsen from NZC do it.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
I actually really like this. And encourage it.

Not only are they forced to watch some cricket on occassion ;) - their selections and reasons get some decent on air scrutiny time via opprtunity and team lists released.

I liked Waugh's selector accountability during his BBL commentary and think its a selector strength in fact.

At the very least fans understand the selector thinking if not appreciate which selectors are thinking differently on what.

I'd personally love to see and hear Larsen from NZC do it.

I've found it shocking over the last few years how clear it is that Mark Waugh knows very little of our domestic cricketers.

The number of times in BBL commentary he says 'haven't seen much of him' or 'I don't know much about this bloke' and its someone whose been around for a season or two is actually pretty bad.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I've found it shocking over the last few years how clear it is that Mark Waugh knows very little of our domestic cricketers.

The number of times in BBL commentary he says 'haven't seen much of him' or 'I don't know much about this bloke' and its someone whose been around for a season or two is actually pretty bad.

Haha. And then after even working on the BBL as a commentator, they had to get his co-commentator Ricky Ponting in to sort out the T20i team after England won the ODI series easy.

But it worked.

There are flaws with any system, but as I say, at least if they're commentating they're forced to watch some cricket and there is increased accountability.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think its been said a few times that Junior is the T/20 selector which is why he probably doesn't know much about 4 day form

even so, I'm not a selector either but you'd think as a cricket fan he would have an interest in shield cricket in this country

TheParraboy

Staff member

saying "gut selection" was used a couple of times, I think once for Joel Paris? the other I think for Mark Cosgrove....

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I think its been said a few times that Junior is the T/20 selector which is why he probably doesn't know much about 4 day form

even so, I'm not a selector either but you'd think as a cricket fan he would have an interest in shield cricket in this country

My take on him being made the sole t20 selector was basically to give Ricky a free hand to implement whatever he wanted in the t20 team without any red tape. I understand that the whole structure was basically to give Ricky a free reign to make the changes he saw fit, instead of compromising r explaining to selectors.

All Waugh had to do was sign off on Ricky to meet the protocol, which was pretty much signing off on a blank cheque and Ricky could select the eleven that he wanted and then "mentored" them to implement his desired strategy, the stuff the coach would normally do.

It was Ricky's t20 team by all reports. And dang it was a very very good one. Not a highlight of my summer.

In World Cricket cricket, Ricky Ponting is a damn smart operator. I hope Cricket Australia use him less.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
So much for that anyway - Cricinfo reporting he’s stepping down as a selector.

Timbo

Staff member
The Age reporting that Fox Sports have ‘won’ Warne’s signature to commentate.

So, Seven it is then.

Reactions: PJ

Latest posts