What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16 Men

I added up the stats.
Our 17th man, be that Leilua, Sele, Lomax, Host or Robson, have so far played a combined 148 minutes in 10 games.
An average of 14.8 minutes a game, or 7.4 minutes a half.
Those figures boosted by Leiluas 90 minute total in the four games early in the season.

You wonder why we go off the boil, why our forwards get busted mid season, why our “power game” falls apart?
Well this is why, we handicap ourselves at the selection table each and every week.

BennyV

Referee
I admit I havent watched the game yet. But over the past few weeks, I see a lot of comments on here about players, particularly young players, getting splinters from long stints on the bench and I personally find it ridiculous. The players dont sit on an actual bench, they get chairs on the sideline. And even if they did have an actual bench, I'm sure it wouldnt be made of timber in a poor enough state that players get splinters. I'm sure we'd be putting dollars in for a nice carbon-fibre bench with a cushioned top.

I know we are in debt, but surely we can spend that much...

I admit I havent watched the game yet. But over the past few weeks, I see a lot of comments on here about players, particularly young players, getting splinters from long stints on the bench and I personally find it ridiculous. The players dont sit on an actual bench, they get chairs on the sideline. And even if they did have an actual bench, I'm sure it wouldnt be made of timber in a poor enough state that players get splinters. I'm sure we'd be putting dollars in for a nice carbon-fibre bench with a cushioned top.

I know we are in debt, but surely we can spend that much...

It may as well be a nice day bed so the 17th man can have a bit of a nap for 75 minutes of the game.

Old Timer

Coach
I added up the stats.
Our 17th man, be that Leilua, Sele, Lomax, Host or Robson, have so far played a combined 148 minutes in 10 games.
Those figures boosted by Leiluas 90 minute total in the four games early in the season.

You wonder why we go off the boil, why our forwards get busted mid season, why our “power game” falls apart?
Well this is why, we handicap ourselves at the selection table each and every week.
What are they without LL?

RufusRex

Post Whore
8 interchanges is part of the puzzle with the 4th player on the bench.

4 interchanges minimum used on Graham/Vaughan/Ah Mau/Latimore ... all should get between 30-50 minutes with the half time break the breaking up AhMau/Latimores stints .. This is pretty easy to understand.

Jack is having a 15 minute breather which is costing us 2 interchanges to manage with Mann getting those minutes

that leaves one bench player and 2 interchanges left

I think that given 8 we will always have one bloke that gets less time .. but there needs to be a plan rather than 7 mins at the end.

We can also afford to be a little more tactical in slight head knocks. They can give a bloke 15 mins break and not use interchanges to get him off/on again ... Plus any incident put on report can give you a free interchange too ...

8 interchanges is part of the puzzle with the 4th player on the bench.

4 interchanges minimum used on Graham/Vaughan/Ah Mau/Latimore ... all should get between 30-50 minutes with the half time break the breaking up AhMau/Latimores stints .. This is pretty easy to understand.

Jack is having a 15 minute breather which is costing us 2 interchanges to manage with Mann getting those minutes

that leaves one bench player and 2 interchanges left

I think that given 8 we will always have one bloke that gets less time .. but there needs to be a plan rather than 7 mins at the end.

We can also afford to be a little more tactical in slight head knocks. They can give a bloke 15 mins break and not use interchanges to get him off/on again ... Plus any incident put on report can give you a free interchange too ...

Was the Burgess replacement a free interchange when Ah Mau brushed the lint off his nose?

RufusRex

Post Whore
Yes - HIA means you have to come off for 15 min protocol ... because it is forced it doesn’t cost you .. if the player cannot return it costs you 1 interchange, if the player can return after 15 he can come on for the same player with no interchanges used (I think)

Yes - HIA means you have to come off for 15 min protocol ... because it is forced it doesn’t cost you .. if the player cannot return it costs you 1 interchange, if the player can return after 15 he can come on for the same player with no interchanges used (I think)

Unbelievable.
So Souths pull him off for a free interchange, Graham could hardly stand after the tackle on Burgess but doesn’t get replaced for free?

That was my other point about Alexander hating us.
Having a go at Ah Mau for his shot of Burgess, when his hand barely slid down the front of his face a brushed his nose, it was looked at by the video and no action taken. Brandy’s commentary made it sound like he almost took his head off.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Anyone on here have the stats for all the other nrl teams this year and how many mins they are giving all 4 of their bench players. That would make for interesting viewing to compare what with Mary and his idiotic tactics.
Surely you pick a 4 man bench to use all 4 of them for more than that. It seems obvious.

I added up the stats.

But now training from both Kogarah and Gong. All problems with burnout solved.

Straight Shooter

This Year?

Immortal
Add to that yesterday there were only 2 forwards in the interchange. Every man and his dog knew Souths were going to go up the guts so why not have 4 forwards to interchange? The players that did not train this week should not have played as well. If McGregor wants to handle the origin period better he needs to start getting our reserves game time instead of letting them catch a cold on the bench.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
3 things that concerned me about Lomax yesterday.
1. He hadn't played for 4 weeks but selected for debut in 1st grade.
2. He gets effectively 3.5 mins of actual game time (in reality that will he 5 weeks and 3.5 mins of actual game time)
3. Watching the replay and the Inglis try, he was sliw to turn and didn't show urgency to get back to cover. The Bunnies players just ran past him. I hope this is pointed out to him in his (cough cough) player review.

I do hope this "#17" experiment by McGregor has seen its end in its current form, if not then who gets the nod next week? Herbert?, Periera?, Field, Kerr maybe?
With JDB "hopeful" of playing, which to me means he shouldn't be, who slots in lock? Sele? Mann?
If JDB is out, I would go with:
Sele at 13
Start LAM
Bench: Graham (i think he's not 100% either), Latimore, Lawrie, Mann

blacksafake

First Grade
3 things that concerned me about Lomax yesterday.
1. He hadn't played for 4 weeks but selected for debut in 1st grade.
2. He gets effectively 3.5 mins of actual game time (in reality that will he 5 weeks and 3.5 mins of actual game time)
3. Watching the replay and the Inglis try, he was sliw to turn and didn't show urgency to get back to cover. The Bunnies players just ran past him. I hope this is pointed out to him in his (cough cough) player review.

I do hope this "#17" experiment by McGregor has seen its end in its current form, if not then who gets the nod next week? Herbert?, Periera?, Field, Kerr maybe?
With JDB "hopeful" of playing, which to me means he shouldn't be, who slots in lock? Sele? Mann?
If JDB is out, I would go with:
Sele at 13
Start LAM
Bench: Graham (i think he's not 100% either), Latimore, Lawrie, Mann
All fair points Slayer,
JDB would be in serious doubt & shouldn't have played yesterday,what a dumb decision that was.Mann could also be in some doubt too after his hit yesterday.Sele should have been there yesterday & must be there next week.