What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 Vs Newcastle

Kev07

Juniors
Tamou has done it a little better than Merrin:
Premiership - Merrin from the bench, Tamou starting;
Origin - Merrin all 13 games from the bench, Tamou 11 starts + 3 from the bench;
Australia - Merrin 7 games, Tamou 12 games.

So everything Merrin has done, Tamou has done more. These things matter to players. I can't believe you need this explained.
Tamou has been great this year & deserves credit

mxlegend99

Referee
So you leave all the forward leadership to 1 guy? Good thing Merrin can play 80 minutes every week, never get injured, oh wait...

Or, you bring in a second experienced and successful forward to help embed those positive behaviours with your young forwards and build the culture. Not sure how you argue against the results other than needing something to bitch about.
Argue against the results?

We finished 6th in 2016 and made week 2 of finals.
We finished 7th in 2017 and made week 2 of finals.

How exactly is that better? We won less games and never reached the same highs. I foubr anuone here woild argue we were better in 2017 ghan we were in 2016.

This season we have finally improved. But its clearly the Maloney signing that has improved us. Hes doing what star signings should be doing.

If Tamou was out for the season instead of McKendry our odds wouldn't change whatsoever. RCG. Kikau. Merrin. Yeo and JFH eould all be a bigger loss. But ultimately I think we could cover any one of them. We have the depth in our forwards.

mxlegend99

Referee
Tamou has done it a little better than Merrin:
Premiership - Merrin from the bench, Tamou starting;
Origin - Merrin all 13 games from the bench, Tamou 11 starts + 3 from the bench;
Australia - Merrin 7 games, Tamou 12 games.

So everything Merrin has done, Tamou has done more. These things matter to players. I can't believe you need this explained.
Yeah Im sure the players care more about Tamou starting in those games and Merrin being a benchie than they do the games right now in OUR jerseys where Merrin is starting and leading our pack while Tamou is on the bench making a whopping 95 meters a game. Playing the week after dislocating his finger.

Tamou WAS a starting player in a premiership winning team. He WAS an Internationsl and Origin player. He also used to make 130+ mdtres a game and make an impact.

The reason he lost those rep jerseys is because his form has fallen off a cliff. If he was playing like the player who won a premiership and earned those rep jerseys everyone here would love him. Just as they did Petero.

If that Tamou was playing for us he would be escaping criticism. Achievements 3+ years ago gor other teamd dont mean shit to us though.

Kev07

Juniors
Argue against the results?

We finished 6th in 2016 and made week 2 of finals.
We finished 7th in 2017 and made week 2 of finals.

How exactly is that better? We won less games and never reached the same highs. I foubr anuone here woild argue we were better in 2017 ghan we were in 2016.

This season we have finally improved. But its clearly the Maloney signing that has improved us. Hes doing what star signings should be doing.

If Tamou was out for the season instead of McKendry our odds wouldn't change whatsoever. RCG. Kikau. Merrin. Yeo and JFH eould all be a bigger loss. But ultimately I think we could cover any one of them. We have the depth in our forwards.
Since you love throwing out stats
Disect & spin it all you want but Tamou on his minutes played is leading the pack on both ends.

Attachments

• 20180513_100244.jpg
    20180513_100244.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180513_100311.jpg
    20180513_100311.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180513_095714.jpg
    20180513_095714.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180513_095615.jpg
    20180513_095615.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180513_095530.jpg
    20180513_095530.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180513_095644.jpg
    20180513_095644.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Since you love throwing out stats
Direct & spin it all you want but Tamou on his minutes played is leading the pack on both ends.
They make him look worse.

He gets paid more money to play fewer minutes and as a result he makes fewer metres. Unlike lots of smaller minute players it's not to have an impact and play at 100% for the whole time. Hes not a workhorse or an impact player.

But yeah... Hes so good the coach gives him less minutes than those guys. When RCG was benched it was to get 60 minutes out of him. I wish he would doso again to be honest. RCG was better last year

Tamou can play 60 minutes too. Yet the coach prefers to give more minutes to other players. He must think our team is better with those other guys on the field too if he's trying to get them more minutes.

And that still doesnt dispute the fact that we went backwards from 2016 to 2017 when signing Tamou. Literally. From 6th to 7th. As others said. You cant argue with results.

Abacus

Juniors
Yeah Im sure the players care more about Tamou starting in those games and Merrin being a benchie than they do the games right now in OUR jerseys where Merrin is starting and leading our pack while Tamou is on the bench making a whopping 95 meters a game. Playing the week after dislocating his finger.

Tamou WAS a starting player in a premiership winning team. He WAS an Internationsl and Origin player. He also used to make 130+ mdtres a game and make an impact.

The reason he lost those rep jerseys is because his form has fallen off a cliff. If he was playing like the player who won a premiership and earned those rep jerseys everyone here would love him. Just as they did Petero.

If that Tamou was playing for us he would be escaping criticism. Achievements 3+ years ago gor other teamd dont mean shit to us though.
I'd love it if your understanding of the game went beyond a match stats sheet. But since it doesn't and you appear incapable of even considering the concept of roles within a team and things that aren't shown in stats, I'm happy to leave you and UP in your little fantasy land together.

mxlegend99

Referee
Wasn't Tamou been bagged for his effort in his kick returns?
Where?

Kick return metres sre the easiest to gain. It was sctually Tamou defrnders arguing he didnt get to pad his stats with kick returns.

A kick return is usually a guaranteed 10+ metres to imptove your average metres per run.

Kev07

Juniors
Thay makes him look worse.

He gets paid more money to play fewer minutes and as a result he makes fewer metres. Unlike lots of dmaller minute players it's not to have an impact and play at 100% for the ehole time.

But yeah... great argument. Hes so good the coach gives him less minutes than those guys. When RCG was benched it was to get 60 minutes out of him.

Tamou can play 60 minutes too. Yet the coach prefers to give more minutes to other players. He must think our team is better with those other guys on the field too if he's trying to get thrm more minutes.

And that still doesnt dispute the fact thst we went backwards from 2016 to 2017 when signing Tamou. Literally. From 6th to 7th. As others said. You cant argue with results.
Laughable champ
The stats go against all the criticism you've reaped on Tamou...but hey each to their own.
But gee he's putting in the effort for the team

Abacus

Juniors
They make him look worse.

He gets paid more money to play fewer minutes and as a result he makes fewer metres. Unlike lots of smaller minute players it's not to have an impact and play at 100% for the whole time. Hes not a workhorse or an impact player.

But yeah... Hes so good the coach gives him less minutes than those guys. When RCG was benched it was to get 60 minutes out of him. I wish he would doso again to be honest. RCG was better last year

Tamou can play 60 minutes too. Yet the coach prefers to give more minutes to other players. He must think our team is better with those other guys on the field too if he's trying to get them more minutes.

And that still doesnt dispute the fact that we went backwards from 2016 to 2017 when signing Tamou. Literally. From 6th to 7th. As others said. You cant argue with results.
You forgot to include the hissy fit from Moylan in your 2016 v 2017 analysis. Love your objectivity.

Kev07

Juniors
Where?

Kick return metres sre the easiest to gain. It was sctually Tamou defrnders arguing he didnt get to pad his stats with kick returns.

A kick return is usually a guaranteed 10+ metres to imptove your average metres per run.
Your good mate lol

mxlegend99

Referee
I'd love it if your understanding of the game went beyond a match stats sheet. But since it doesn't and you appear incapable of even considering the concept of roles within a team and things that aren't shown in stats, I'm happy to leave you and UP in your little fantasy land together.
You're the one who just made up a fantasy world where players respect Tamous achievements more than Merrins because he started in the premiership winning side and the rep teams. As if starting makes it mean more than being on the bench. That was your argument. Not mine.

I applied YOUR argument to the current situation. Merrin is the starting player. Tamou is the benchie. I think 2018 is far more relevant than 2015 was.

I think in front row especially the starters and benchies are equally important. Good use of the front row rotation can swing momentum. RCG last year was our best forward doing that.

mxlegend99

Referee
You forgot to include the hissy fit from Moylan in your 2016 v 2017 analysis. Love your objectivity.
Prople argued Tamou improved our culture. Yet our culture also went backwards in 2017.

Not Tamous fault. Culture is out of ghr hands of an individual. But all the off field shit with everyone through 2017 is evidence our culture didn't improve.

Again he had zero impact either way on our culture. That's the coaching staff and Gus. They let shit get out of hand last year. But to their credit they have fixed it this year. I think that's largely on Gus taking a bigger involvement. Gus demands respect from players.

Edit
But looking back losing good players who were troubled has been to our benefit. Especially with Carty who is really getting worse and worse. Being free of that shit is a godsend for us.

Begs the question why Gus would want to consider other troubled players now? (Lodge specifically).

Abacus

Juniors
You're the one who just made up a fantasy world where players respect Tamous achievements more than Merrins because he started in the premiership winning side and the rep teams. As if starting makes it mean more than being on the bench. That was your argument. Not mine.

I applied YOUR argument to the current situation. Merrin is the starting player. Tamou is the benchie. I think 2018 is far more relevant than 2015 was.

I think in front row especially the starters and benchies are equally important. Good use of the front row rotation can swing momentum. RCG last year was our best forward doing that.
Stop it MX, you're embarrassing yourself. Every young player wants to know what it takes to achieve what Tamou and Merrin have achieved. And the way they do that is training and playing beside them regularly. The benefit is seen from the improved performances of guys like RCG last year and JFH this year.

Abacus

Juniors
Prople argued Tamou improved our culture. Yet our culture also went backwards in 2017.

Not Tamous fault. Culture is out of ghr hands of an individual. But all the off field shit with everyone through 2017 is evidence our culture didn't improve.

Again he had zero impact either way on our culture. That's the coaching staff and Gus. They let shit get out of hand last year. But to their credit they have fixed it this year. I think that's largely on Gus taking a bigger involvement. Gus demands respect from players.

Edit
But looking back losing good players who were troubled has been to our benefit. Especially with Carty who is really getting worse and worse. Being free of that shit is a godsend for us.

Begs the question why Gus would want to consider other troubled players now? (Lodge specifically).

Not sure why you're quoting me on this? My comment was around you ignoring Moylan throwing his toys out of the cot and the effect it had on our 2017 performance. Not about culture.

mxlegend99

Referee
Laughable champ
The stats go against all the criticism you've reaped on Tamou...but hey each to their own.
But gee he's putting in the effort for the team
How do they go against it? I think hes terrible value for money and easily replaceable while those stats show he plays less minutes and makes less metres.

Stop it MX, you're embarrassing yourself. Every young player wants to know what it takes to achieve what Tamou and Merrin have achieved. And the way they do that is training and playing beside them regularly. The benefit is seen from the improved performances of guys like RCG last year and JFH this year.
Your defence for Tamou is that he offers something the players could already get from Merrin. And now Maloney.

A star player should be performing on the field at a bare minimum. You know... leading by example.

Maloney is doing it. Merrin did it. Tamou has not.

Abacus

Juniors
How do they go against it? I think hes terrible value for money and easily replaceable while those stats show he plays less minutes and makes less metres.

Your defence for Tamou is that he offers something the players could already get from Merrin. And now Maloney.

A star player should be performing on the field at a bare minimum. You know... leading by example.

Maloney is doing it. Merrin did it. Tamou has not.

Just keep to those match stat sheets MX. Your ignorance is bliss.

mxlegend99

Referee
Not sure why you're quoting me on this? My comment was around you ignoring Moylan throwing his toys out of the cot and the effect it had on our 2017 performance. Not about culture.
That was in reply to your Moylan comment. There was a culture issue last year. He was one small part of it.

Or a clash between players and coach was part of it. Yet losing those players has fixed it. And in the case of Carty it has probably destroyed his career and been a blessing for us.

I love the guy but that shit hes going through would be bad for the team.

Abacus

Juniors
That was in reply to your Moylan comment. There was a culture issue last year. He was one small part of it.

Or a clash between players and coach was part of it. Yet losing those players has fixed it. And in the case of Carty it has probably destroyed his career and been a blessing for us.

I love the guy but that shit hes going through would be bad for the team.
No one likes what is happening to Bryce. Agree that the only saving grace is that he's not at the club while he's going through it.

As for Moylan, well we got the better of that deal too at this stage. Can't imagine being where we are ATM with Moylan instead of Maloney while Cleary's been injured.

mxlegend99

Referee
Just keep to those match stat sheets MX. Your ignorance is bliss.
Im not the one posting stats in here (for a change :p)

You posted the stats on Merrin and Tamou in premierships and rep jerseys. As if those stats mattered today.

Kev is posting that our most expensive player plays less minutes as if that is a good thing. We all know he is easily capable of more.. so its obvious the coach thinks those minutes he is losing are more valuable elsewhere.

The best forwards get more minutes unless they're impact players who go out at 100 miles an hour and get tired quickly.

First Hook benches him. Gives him the last top 17 number. Neither is a big deal on their own. Bench is still important. But slowly taking away minutes from him shows his importance is dropping.

If he rated him as highly as some fans do I think he would have gotten the RCG treatment. Named to start. Benched. Then brought on to play 60 minutes straight. Tamou is fit enough to do that.

Im not holding Tamou up to some impossible to achieve standard. Im holding him to a standard he proved he was capable of over several years at Cowboys which he is yet to show for us more than a couple of times.

That player's still in there. He's at the age most props are in their prime. He's not like Brent Kite where it's a lost cause.