What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

PhilGould

Bench
That’s probably the worst comparison you could have made. ;)

Lillyman was picked due to loyalty and dropped after QLD got completely dominated in the forwards in game 1. I forget which prop replaced him in the final two games that QLD went on to win- I think it was some guy by the name of Glisby or Flasby or something??
My point is him playing rep footy doesn't necessarily mean he's worth $450k. QLD's forward pack is the weakest that it's been over the last 15 years, has awful depth, and even then he barely scraped onto the bench.

I think Glasby is an average forward. Melbourne make average forwards look good. When they leave Melbourne they almost always look worse elsewhere.

Frank Facer

First Grade
With the interchange being reduced to 6 next year, props may on average become a bit lighter. I recall back in the early 80's when the footy cards had the player's weight and height on the back of them, the heaviest player was Don McKinnon, who weighed 112kgs. We had Pat Jarvis who was an origin prop and a very good one, who I think weighed 96 kgs. I think Craig Young was around 102kgs.

Frank Facer

First Grade
My point is him playing rep footy doesn't necessarily mean he's worth $450k. QLD's forward pack is the weakest that it's been over the last 15 years, has awful depth, and even then he barely scraped onto the bench.

I think Glasby is an average forward. Melbourne make average forwards look good. When they leave Melbourne they almost always look worse elsewhere.
I agree with you Phil, Glasby, hasn't caught my eye either, but you have to get someone decent and hopefully build from there. Good props are a vital commodity these days.

Spot On

Coach
Heard on radio that Darren Lockyer; who is on the 'rules' comittee, scoffed at any changes being made to the interchange the other day on Ch 9.

Did anyone see this?

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
My point is him playing rep footy doesn't necessarily mean he's worth $450k.

No it doesn’t but unfortunately that’s just the way it is for every player at every club. Rep footy automatically increases someone’s price tag.

Regardless of whether we feel his selection was deserved or not he’s a player that’s experienced a Qld Origin camp and that experience will be valuable for our side as it’s what I’m sure all the young players are aiming for.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Should use the Dogs Salary Cap problems, and pay the freight on Klemmer, Sign the Morris Twins, and if we have the cap space push for TPJ.

1. Ponga
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Ramen Noodles
5. Montoya
6. Watson
7. Pearce
8. Klemmer
9. Griffin/Levi
10. Glasby/TPJ/Dan Saif

Noname36

First Grade
Should use the Dogs Salary Cap problems, and pay the freight on Klemmer, Sign the Morris Twins, and if we have the cap space push for TPJ.

1. Ponga
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Ramen Noodles
5. Montoya
6. Watson
7. Pearce
8. Klemmer
9. Griffin/Levi
10. Glasby/TPJ/Dan Saif

The Morris twins are finished. No better than what we already have, getting close to the end of their careers and they’d cost us any chance of being able to sign the props we much more desperately need.

Yes to Klemmer though.

Spot On

Coach
I wouldnt totally disregard the Morris twins unless we have something better lined up next year. Surely Moga is a long shot to get through a season or even play on. Do we have anyone decent in reggies capable of stepping up at centre/wing?

Yosh

Coach
This Glasby chap (I don't watch much Storm games), does he have much ball playing ability? I keep hearing negative things about the lad but there must be a reason he played Origin and has been playing in the Storm system a while right? Is his defense decent as well? Probably a really professional player at least right?

slotmachine

First Grade
I wouldnt totally disregard the Morris twins unless we have something better lined up next year. Surely Moga is a long shot to get through a season or even play on. Do we have anyone decent in reggies capable of stepping up at centre/wing?

No

Still Nutty

Juniors
I know he is out injured, but with Ponga effectively having a mortgage on the fullback role for as long as he wants it, is Nick Meaney capable of being a Centre/Winger and not just a fullback?

I suppose he is also young and not an immediate first grade option for longer term stints but a lot seem to rate him as one of our emerging back talents and think he is likely to be blooded sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Old dog

Juniors
Think when we lost Moga he would have been a chance but injured himself so it's wait and see, he,Meaney should be back soon so has a chance to show before season end, kicks goals as well

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I'm happy enough with the Glasby signing, he's not a world beater but is an upgrade on Lillyman/Heighington and will probably push out bigger minutes as well. Would have plenty of valuable experience being in that Melbourne side for a while and playing for QLD last year.

That being said if he's the best forward we sign for next year I'll be disappointed because we really do need someone with on-field anger management problems.

Now we just need to wait for the vice to tighten on the Bulldogs, would love to get Klemmer, he's got plenty of fire in the belly and would be a really good enforcer to have.

perverse

Referee
I don't really think it's our outside backs letting us down, so I'd be surprised if Meaney got a crack anytime soon. His goalkicking might be the x-factor in that, I guess.

Yeah, Klemmer would be amazing... hopefully we can be the beneficiaries of the Dogs situation.