What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Pub Guide

Lived in Canberra for 3 years but I prefer to watch origin at home.
That said, everywhere puts on a big night for origin. The Dock would be good but you would need to book a table. I imagine a place like Hopscotch would probably erect a big outdoor screen, although not normally a noted sports bar. King O’Malleys is always good for sport. Grease Monkey would be good but again, it’s small and you would need to book. The lighthouse always advertise for origin but it’s a bit out of town if you were staying near the city

Hale and Mary in Kingston.
Screenz for Dayz. basically the entirety of behind te bar is screens.

For Superbowl and other one game big events its really good.

adamkungl

Immortal
I’ve said for years there is a market there that is waiting for someone to own. Sydney needs someone to open a “rugby league pub”. Framed jerseys on the wall. NRL bunting. Half priced beers if you’re in a jersey. FOX NRL on 24/7. Make it THE place to go and watch the footy. Surely a pub like that would do well?

Is there a bloke on the planet who doesn't have an idea for his own pub, which is themed around the exact things he likes to sink piss to?

The duxton in Canberra also does a meal deal for raiders home games, where you get bus to and from the pub and entry to the game included in your meal, meals range from $21-$40.

Yeah this is a good shout as well.

Also Canberra
I cannot vouch for "Stanleys" in Bruce as I have not been there but it is literally across the road from bruce stadium. so ...yeah. after 300 years of playing there theres finally somewhere to go pre and after the game

Liddell

Juniors
The ranch at marsfield is pretty good. Big screen that has always had the NRL on in the 12 months it’s been my local. Gets pretty packed on Sunday arvo’s though. You won’t get a decent spot on the sundays when UFC is on unless you’re there at midday.

$6 pints after 5 on fridays.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
The ranch at marsfield is pretty good. Big screen that has always had the NRL on in the 12 months it’s been my local. Gets pretty packed on Sunday arvo’s though. You won’t get a decent spot on the sundays when UFC is on unless you’re there at midday.

$6 pints after 5 on fridays.
The ranch. Once upon a time it was called 'el ranchos',or more accurately, 'el punchos'.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Sydney, Randwick LGA:
- The Regent Hotel. Decent sized screens and sound usually on in the top bar. NRL always on. Decent food and beer.
- Coogee Bay Hotel. Dedicated sports bar with lots of screens. NRL always on. Decent food and beer.

You lost me when you said the Coogee Bay had decent food .

horrie hastings

First Grade
Southern Cross Hotel St Peter’s, usually have a projector onto a big screen for the main game and lots of other tv screens showing the main game and other sporting events.

Botany View Hotel down the south end of King St Newtown.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
In King St in Newtown (Syd) your best option is The Marly Bar. All other bars you'll be lucky to get it on a tv screen with no sound.

Projector screen, show all games with sound. Good for Origin and GFs. Singo owned it until recently so maybe that's why. Hopefully they keep it up with the new ownership.

Valheru

Coach
Went to Adelaide last year for the roosters game and found a joint called the Woolshed on Hindley Street. Bottom level has a nice sized sports bar with TAB facilities and plenty of TVs. Of course, the AFL had the main TV but they had all RL games on other TVs as well as American sports etc.

nick87

Coach
Canberra, City:

PJs - City
PJs shades KingOs for NRL due to TV Screen Size and large front room layout. Beers are better priced as well.

Canberra, inner north:
The Duxton - Turner
Have a beer at the former all bar nun where Toddy C peed on a bloke and got sacked. A bonafide Rugby League Venue.
Its all new here now with beers and pub grub all night. Many tvs and comfortable.
The duxton is also a very short walk from the Ruc bowls club.

The Ruc - Turner
The Rugby Untion Club took over the Turner Bowls Club and made it way better. Plenty of cold beers, screens and three bowling greens for barefoot in the summer.

Ducks Nuts - Dickson
Was Oneals. Owned by the former Raiders CEO.
Now more trendy. Good TV viewing angles. Dedicated UFC coverage if that is your thing. Young Henrys and Mountain Goat on Tap as well. Duck Pancakes are a good appetiser.

Canberra, inner south:
The Dock - Kingston Foreshore
Many dedicated NRL screens. Good beer on tap. Trendy atmosphere. Chicken Wings are really good. Sweet Potato fries also a good appetiser.

Hale and Mary - Kingston
Hale and Mary have f**ktons of screens, good beer and for mine do the best superbowl monday in canberra. NRL is also well put on at this bar.

Endorse this post. Particular PJ's over KIngO's
KingO's is sneaky shit. Hale + Mary is definitely the spot for sports in Canberra.

Bazal

Post Whore
KingO's is sneaky shit. Hale + Mary is definitely the spot for sports in Canberra.

PJs is definitely better than KingO's.

Debacle is good if they have the projector going, not so much a pub but as a result it's often more relaxed and the food and beer (or wine) is bloody good. Will always prefer to show the Brumbies, though, so useless on those nights. Bonus points because the owner hates AFL.

Civic Pub is underrated IMO. especially since it's been actively trying to shake the scummy image. Was my local when I lived in Braddon, solid spot.

Haven't been to Hale and Mary yet, but I've noticed a lot of folks starting to stay around Woden in the Abode and whatever the f**k that other place on the corner near the pool is called. Must be cheap for businesses to put folks up there or something.

Anyway if that's the case, Hellenic Club is the go for footy. Screens all over the place, great range of beers, good Chinese restaurant (with screens) upstairs and good bistro food downstairs, plus it's 60 seconds walk from either of the hotels.

the problem with Kingos is the layout of the place. stairs..that weird second bar which is hardly ever open..that third part in the mall..low TV numbers...

PJs is definitely better than KingO's.

Debacle is good if they have the projector going, not so much a pub but as a result it's often more relaxed and the food and beer (or wine) is bloody good. Will always prefer to show the Brumbies, though, so useless on those nights. Bonus points because the owner hates AFL.

Civic Pub is underrated IMO. especially since it's been actively trying to shake the scummy image. Was my local when I lived in Braddon, solid spot.

Haven't been to Hale and Mary yet, but I've noticed a lot of folks starting to stay around Woden in the Abode and whatever the f**k that other place on the corner near the pool is called. Must be cheap for businesses to put folks up there or something.

Anyway if that's the case, Hellenic Club is the go for footy. Screens all over the place, great range of beers, good Chinese restaurant (with screens) upstairs and good bistro food downstairs, plus it's 60 seconds walk from either of the hotels.

I didn't put debacle on because they turned off the rugby league and turned off the projector on us watching some panthers vs knights game when the game was close.
that staff member had the people skills of a hornet.

Timbo

Staff member
I didn't put debacle on because they turned off the rugby league and turned off the projector on us watching some panthers vs knights game when the game was close.
that staff member had the people skills of a hornet.

I know this is a union story, but I had a similar issue in a pub in Newtown a few years ago. They switched a close Bledisloe Cup game off with 20 minutes to go in the second half because the DJ had to set up. This was a pub mind you, not a bar or club, and everyone in the room was watching the rugby. The idea of delaying the DJ set up for 20 minutes seemed unfathomable to the idiot who walked around the room switching off all of the screens.

The whole pub emptied and ran to the one across the road - I still have no f**king clue what that muppet was thinking.

Bazal

Post Whore
Will be in Phuket for game 3 of origin.

Any suggestions??

Depends where in Phuket. There's an Aussie owned bar in Patong, I can't for the life of me remember what it's called though.

Wasn't hard to find the footy in Patong tbh

Latest posts