What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale its time.

Old Timer

Coach
If your club offers you 350K
a year and keep choosing you, only a mad man would say no thanks. And he most likely thinks he is doing ok.

Let's worry about our FB, Centres, Five eighth and Prop.

These are are potential achilles.
Absolute drivel of the 1st order
Just another disillusioned post based on thrills of years gone by whilst you try to defend a player who should be gone and blaming everyone else to justify his continuation in the team

Bench
BTW how refreshing was it to see that young 18 year old, Campbell Graham play for Souths on the wing last night. I'm so jealous that their coach has the guts & foresight to back his youth.
Wonderful to see a opportunity given & taken in fine style. Hope Mary was watching!
I saw him play and I have seen other clubs promoting younger players to the first grade team.
McIdiot has many faults but one that really is hard to fathom is the transition of our ISP players is beyond belief, even if they are picked on the bench they get no decent game time.
JD was a great coach and results proved that. There’s talent in the ISP but they are not being done any favour by their coach.
If these players were approached by other clubs they will leave to get a shot at first grade which they are not getting with us.
Mary has said he has the cattle to cover SOO. Who will for argument sake replace Hunt. Nicholls who hasn’t had any time on the bench even.
The NRL and the ISP coaching and handling of players is a joke. Look at Souths and Penrith, they give players the chance and reaping the rewards.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I saw him play and I have seen other clubs promoting younger players to the first grade team.
McIdiot has many faults but one that really is hard to fathom is the transition of our ISP players is beyond belief, even if they are picked on the bench they get no decent game time.
JD was a great coach and results proved that. There’s talent in the ISP but they are not being done any favour by their coach.
If these players were approached by other clubs they will leave to get a shot at first grade which they are not getting with us.
Mary has said he has the cattle to cover SOO. Who will for argument sake replace Hunt. Nicholls who hasn’t had any time on the bench even.
The NRL and the ISP coaching and handling of players is a joke. Look at Souths and Penrith, they give players the chance and reaping the rewards.

If Demetriou is a "great coach", then why has he been bypassed for Bellamy DESPITE being personally head hunted by Bennett at the end of 2016?

Perhaps he's not as wonderful as he is cracked up to be.

As for the eponymous nature of this thread, the extent that some people will go to in order to avoid the ENTIRE RIGHT EDGE's current deficiencies is astonishing.

Apologies...couldn't resist.

ouryears

Bench
If Demetriou is a "great coach", then why has he been bypassed for Bellamy DESPITE being personally head hunted by Bennett at the end of 2016?

As for the eponymous nature of this thread, the extent that some people will go to in order to avoid the ENTIRE RIGHT EDGE's current deficiencies is astonishing.

Yes there is a difference between Bellyache and JD, Of course a team would go for Bellyache.

However, there is a difference between Mary and JD, and
of course we should go for JD.

Same as Soufs got rid of Madge for their untried, but obviously smart new coach!

Kevvie wanted the Broncos gig and they didn't even consider him, JD is ready for a gig.

Drag Queen

Bench
Yes there is a difference between Bellyache and JD, Of course a team would go for Bellyache.

Same as Soufs got rid of Madge for their untried, but obviously smart new coach!

Kevvie wanted the Broncos gig and they didn't even consider him, JD is ready for a gig.
It was my understanding that Kevin Walters quit the Broncos to undertake the Qld SOO side. Something is going on with that team and I have a feeling Bennett is most likely causing problems there. JD has recently been delegated a fair chunk of handling the Broncs so it'll be interesting to see how this pans out for him. I'm fairly confident Kevin Walters would attempt to be the coach once Bennett is gone though.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Another rookie coach?

Been there, done that.

No, thank you.

McGuire left Souths in a reasonable state, so that's why Seibold has been one very lucky beneficiary. It's all about the 'cattle'.

BennyV

Referee

Lol I like you Jimmy, you’re resilient if nothing else! Some of the extreme lengths and ramblings you’ll go on to try and justify Mitch Rein being anything more than a reserve-grade-quality hooker are comedic gold!

But this takes the cake!!! JD is no good because one team would prefer the #1 coach in the game over him? That’s some special shit right there! It means there are 15 employed and many, many unemployed coaches that are no good, because no club would pass up Bellamy for anyone!

Crazy as it seems, some clubs would prefer to chase the best in the business over internal promotion. It seems like a foreign concept to us Dragons fans (much like recognition of an aging wingers deficiencies) but it’s actually a thing amongst those clubs that actually want success! For those clubs, it’s more about desire to win than a knock on that coach. JD isn’t my first choice but he is several levels above what we’ve got and probably a better option than half the employed or experienced first grade coaches out there!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Lol I like you Jimmy, you’re resilient if nothing else! Some of the extreme lengths and ramblings you’ll go on to try and justify Mitch Rein being anything more than a reserve-grade-quality hooker are comedic gold!

But this takes the cake!!! JD is no good because one team would prefer the #1 coach in the game over him? That’s some special shit right there! It means there are 15 employed and many, many unemployed coaches that are no good, because no club would pass up Bellamy for anyone!

Crazy as it seems, some clubs would prefer to chase the best in the business over internal promotion. It seems like a foreign concept to us Dragons fans (much like recognition of an aging wingers deficiencies) but it’s actually a thing amongst those clubs that actually want success! For those clubs, it’s more about desire to win than a knock on that coach. JD isn’t my first choice but he is several levels above what we’ve got and probably a better option than half the employed or experienced first grade coaches out there!

I have an admission to make.

Although tempted to stop after the 'congratulatory' opening of your riposte (I mean who doesn't love adulation at the best of times?), I did delve a wee bit further to the opening sentence of your second paragraph.

This is quite an achievement.

Acknowledging it's probably subjective to a few (including yourself) who ignore the only real currency of a coach's real worth - i.e. premierships won - it is really Bennett who remains the #1 coach in the game by a considerable margin.

Remember, most of Bellamy's 'success' presided over the Melbourne Storm's gross attempt to systematically rort the salary cap over a prolonged period. He also flunked rather badly at SOO level too.

I wonder if you answered (or shied away in segued format) why Brisbane has seemingly overlooked a much vaunted "great" coach in Demetriou due to his lack of first grade experience? Some may point out that appointing him would be tantamount to a risk alongside the ascension of Ivan Henjak many moons ago now.

I guess I'll never know.

Thank you for your kind words....it has summarily made my day as I awoke from a disrupted slumber.

Who doesn't "like" me though? I'm a ripping, good bloke!

I'm uncertain, however, if "resilient" is the perfect adjective for yours truly. Is there a single noun for "pain in the arse"?

J.

RufusRex

Post Whore
The right edge - Dufty (early 20s), Frizell (SOO), Aitken (early 20s), Widdop (late 20s current international), Nightingale (post 30, former international, snail).

The edge has issue - no doubt about that … It is not just one blokes issue. However, one of the key things to fixing it is speed - it changes everything about the edge spedicfically how far out the winger needs to stand. This will never be improved in nightingale. It also costs us tries in attack (Sharks) ..

It is a ridiculously easy fix to make right now and has the potential to start correcting the issues on the edge. Doing nothing is not going to fix anything majorly - and it certainly will not fix Nightingales inability to find the line when given the ball in space.

There may be many changes required to get it all perfect but there is no future for Nightingale on that edge so may as well pick the low hanging fruit and get an edge that potentially will play 4-5 seasons together working sooner rather than later.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The right edge - Dufty (early 20s), Frizell (SOO), Aitken (early 20s), Widdop (late 20s current international), Nightingale (post 30, former international, snail).

The edge has issue - no doubt about that … It is not just one blokes issue. However, one of the key things to fixing it is speed - it changes everything about the edge spedicfically how far out the winger needs to stand. This will never be improved in nightingale. It also costs us tries in attack (Sharks) ..

It is a ridiculously easy fix to make right now and has the potential to start correcting the issues on the edge. Doing nothing is not going to fix anything majorly - and it certainly will not fix Nightingales inability to find the line when given the ball in space.

There may be many changes required to get it all perfect but there is no future for Nightingale on that edge so may as well pick the low hanging fruit and get an edge that potentially will play 4-5 seasons together working sooner rather than later.

"It's not just one bloke's issue".

*Shocked*

Deeply, I am.

BennyV

Referee

Although tempted to stop after the 'congratulatory' opening of your riposte (I mean who doesn't love adulation at the best of times?), I did delve a wee bit further to the opening sentence of your second paragraph.

Acknowledging it's probably subjective to a few (including yourself) who ignore the only real currency of a coach's real worth - i.e. premierships won - it is really Bennett who remains the #1 coach in the game by a considerable margin.

Remember, most of Bellamy's 'success' presided over the Melbourne Storm's gross attempt to systematically rort the salary cap over a prolonged period. He also flunked rather badly at SOO level too.

I wonder if you answered (or shied away in segued format) why Brisbane has seemingly overlooked a much vaunted "great" coach in Demetriou due to his lack of first grade experience? Some may point out that appointing him would be tantamount to a risk alongside the ascension of Ivan Henjak many moons ago now.

I guess I'll never know.

Thank you for your kind words....it has summarily made my day as I awoke from a disrupted slumber.

I'm uncertain, however, if "resilient" is the perfect adjective for yours truly. Is there a single noun for "pain in the arse"?

J.

I guess I'll never know.

J.
interesting that you label ‘premierships won’ as the only metric for a coaches performance. Maybe we should use ‘tries scored’ as the only metric of a wingers performance and see how Nighty stacks up to Nene or Mann?!

But anyway - even if ‘premierships won’ were the only metric of a coach, Bellamy still stands at #1 in the modern era of the NRL, even if you take away his illegal wins his 2 premierships are matched only by Hasler (who is not a current coach)...which puts him at #1.

But of course, there is far more to coaching ability than simply winning the big one, else there’d be 15 shit coaches every year. You look at intangibles such as improvements to the squad, ability to adapt and create game plans that will win games, and so on. Ability to sustain success over a season, and several seasons. Things that Bellamy excels in and that Demetriou has shown ability in 2 different semi-professional competitions.

Your point may hold water if Broncos were passing up Demetriou for, say, Toovey or the like. But they are chasing the #1 coach of the modern era.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
interesting that you label ‘premierships won’ as the only metric for a coaches performance. Maybe we should use ‘tries scored’ as the only metric of a wingers performance and see how Nighty stacks up to Nene or Mann?!

But anyway - even if ‘premierships won’ were the only metric of a coach, Bellamy still stands at #1 in the modern era of the NRL, even if you take away his illegal wins his 2 premierships are matched only by Hasler (who is not a current coach)...which puts him at #1.

But of course, there is far more to coaching ability than simply winning the big one, else there’d be 15 shit coaches every year. You look at intangibles such as improvements to the squad, ability to adapt and create game plans that will win games, and so on. Ability to sustain success over a season, and several seasons. Things that Bellamy excels in and that Demetriou has shown ability in 2 different semi-professional competitions.

Your point may hold water if Broncos were passing up Demetriou for, say, Toovey or the like. But they are chasing the #1 coach of the modern era.

Rumour is Bellamy is staying put at the Storm on a 3yr deal.

Old Timer

Coach
Interesting how people talk about the Storm salary cap breaches as a way to discredit Bellamy (as a coach that is) whilst they blatantly ignore the fact that Bennett had carte blanche at the Broncos for decades.
Whilst not formal breaches it certainly constituted the condoned raiding of any other clubs prospective or current talent.
In our case Chris Johns, Mundine & Tallis quickly spring to mind let alone all the rest of it.
His last premiership was 2010 and you have to go back to 2006 before that so in the current world of RL Bellamy has his measure by some margin.

possm

Coach
Well, the Dragons could solve all their problems and make their fans very happy by:
1. Selling the Club to an applicant with deep pockets and with pride in the big Red V.
2. Appointing a great CEO who is not an old boy.
3. Signing Bennett as coach - he is ripe for the picking right now.
4. Signing two top grade props, one before June 30 and an additional prop for the 2019 season..

Drag Queen

Bench

I guess I'll never know.

J.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Interesting how people talk about the Storm salary cap breaches as a way to discredit Bellamy (as a coach that is) whilst they blatantly ignore the fact that Bennett had carte blanche at the Broncos for decades.
Whilst not formal breaches it certainly constituted the condoned raiding of any other clubs prospective or current talent.
In our case Chris Johns, Mundine & Tallis quickly spring to mind let alone all the rest of it.
His last premiership was 2010 and you have to go back to 2006 before that so in the current world of RL Bellamy has his measure by some margin.

You've forgotten Billy Noke - shame on you!