What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Suitman

Post Whore
So, considering the Eels season continues to be so shite, I will also be watching a little bit of the World Cup. This RL season has been so f**king depressing so far.
Socceroos had a good win last night vs the Czech Republic. Beat 'em 4-0.
We have another friendly next week against Hungary.

I don't honestly hold high hopes about the Aussies chances to get through the group stage. Being the tier 4 team in the group, we couldn't have drawn a tougher group.
All 3 of our opponents in our group are in the top 12 in the World Rankings. How in the f**k does that work when there are 8 groups? All three are ranked above England, the Netherlands and Italy. The later two didn't even make it.

Anyway, it should be an interesting group stage for us, but I think we'll struggle. If we can limit the damage against France in our first group game, we might just snag a draw against Denmark and a win against Peru. Yep, I know. I'm dreaming.
Anyway, here are the latest top 1-100 rankings. We ain't that bad tbh in the rankings. Way higher than Russia, the hosts.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html

Suitman

Post Whore
be very surprised if we won a game

Me too. But we are there, so I'm excited.

Anyhow, more Aussies have bought tickets to matches in Russia than Poms. lol.

796,875 tickets have been sold to Russia fans, while German supporters have snapped up 55,136 tickets. Interestingly, there is strong interest from the Central and South American nations with Colombia (60,199 tickets), Mexico (51,736) and Argentina (44,882) all guaranteed a good number of supporters.

Even Peru (38,544), China (36,841) and Australia (34,628) have all sold more tickets than England, as Three Lions supporters decide that discretion is the better part of valour.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/2018-world-cup/93000/england-tickets-2018-world-cup-russia-fifa

Suitman

Post Whore
Hungary were pretty strong defensively so it's no surprise our pop gun attack failed to penetrate them.
Arzani was a breath of fresh air. He's got some talent that kid.
Our defence is a worry, even though we've only conceded 1 goal in 3 friendly's under BVM.
As for France - it's anyone's guess, but it will be more determined by whether France go into the game taking us lightly rather than anything we can control.

After watching the game overnight, I switched over to Fox league. It was weird seeing Kenny Edwards playing SL.

Latest posts