What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ISP On tv THIS Saturday

O'Sullivan

Juniors
Crush we certainly forget things like that but I suppose probably like many, I watched the game with an eye to the future covering our Origin gaps and any future injuries. Unlike many sides we have not had many injuries. I must say I only saw the second half but Nicholls and Herbert stood out. Robson no doubt has potential but was criticised for not running until later in the second half and Luc, who apparently played well in the first half, dropped the ball or made a mistake every time he touched it. Apart from that he is a huge man but he was stopped by a halfback close to the line twice. He will be a good forward but he still has too many mistakes in his game. Host was Host, wonderful work rate, good defence but little impact with the ball. Sele can make it and will hold his own when used. Interesting to hear he will be off contract and was talked up by the commentators as being a target for other clubs. Masters has a future but not quite yet. Field comes into his own when teams are getting tired but he looked lost as a play maker and a liability in defence.

Crush

Coach
Crush we certainly forget things like that but I suppose probably like many, I watched the game with an eye to the future covering our Origin gaps and any future injuries. Unlike many sides we have not had many injuries. I must say I only saw the second half but Nicholls and Herbert stood out. Robson no doubt has potential but was criticised for not running until later in the second half and Luc, who apparently played well in the first half, dropped the ball or made a mistake every time he touched it. Apart from that he is a huge man but he was stopped by a halfback close to the line twice. He will be a good forward but he still has too many mistakes in his game. Host was Host, wonderful work rate, good defence but little impact with the ball. Sele can make it and will hold his own when used. Interesting to hear he will be off contract and was talked up by the commentators as being a target for other clubs. Masters has a future but not quite yet. Field comes into his own when teams are getting tired but he looked lost as a play maker and a liability in defence.
Luciano made too many handling errors but he was bending the line and running really hard which was good to see.
Sele looked good too. They are a decent team and I think could win that competition. Always good to see both 1st grade and 2nd grade teams doing well and in the top 4.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I watched them they are a rabble and poorly coached

Of course its a rabble, we have:
Those promised the world from the NRL squad but given nothing.
Those on part-time contracts who also have jobs.
Those promoted from Jersey Flegg, game here game there.
Those on Development contracts.

Also, if we are a rabble, what does it say about the teams behind us on the ladder?

SEAT 1A

Bench
No sign of McGregor... obviously CBF with the lot of them. Pity.

Very disappointing, don't care if the first's have a bye.

Even if he is only there as a spectator, he's the head coach. Also, didn't see Matty Head on TV. Were was he.

Very disappointing, don't care if the first's have a bye.

Even if he is only there as a spectator, he's the head coach. Also, didn't see Matty Head on TV. Were was he.

Once again because the ISP is not a genuine reserve grade, played before first on game days, coaches rarely get to see a game, it’s a problem with the structure of the league at the moment.........that and Mary is a plonker who doesn’t look outside his hand picked 16, yes I said 16 cause he doesn’t know he’s allowed 17.

Old Timer

Coach
The missed tackles, scrappy passes, knock ons, stupid off loads etc etc can all be easily fixed with good discipline and that is sorely lacking.
The notion that coming 2nd absolves you of the responsibility for these basic tenaments of the game is ridiculous.
The squad should be playing at a much higher & consistent standard than what was evident yesterday and some of the other games where they have been televised.

The missed tackles, scrappy passes, knock ons, stupid off loads etc etc can all be easily fixed with good discipline and that is sorely lacking.
The notion that coming 2nd absolves you of the responsibility for these basic tenaments of the game is ridiculous.
The squad should be playing at a much higher & consistent standard than what was evident yesterday and some of the other games where they have been televised.

But again, what inspiration do you get from playing in front of family and friends and a couple of dogs, it's not exactly conducive to a stellar game is it?

denis preston

First Grade

Good summation. I really don't care how this team goes as i only look for players that can step up to NRL. My observations .

* Robson plays better when he runs but won't get a look in NRL whilst McInnes is playing as well as he is . The defensive burden requires a mature body.

* Host has stagnated this year.His attack is limited ( he used to run great lines ) . Mind you he may be an entirely different preposition from 2020 onwards when his body matures. He has the smarts , so that will help.

* Nicholls is a very good 7 for this standard but perhaps not NRL.

*Sele needs size or the interchange to be reduced to be effective.

* Luc & Lawrie need time and Jenny Craig. Still young so refer to Host analysis.

Matt Head doesn't thrill me and Timmins even less so hard to judge development when over half the side is semi pro.To me it does reinforce that our squad retention needs to be a mix of local and buy ins.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
From my recollection only Fletcher, Tohi, Uele and the Fijian prop would not be part of the Top 30 plus Development squad. But you would think that they would at least have one ISP training run together each week. ISP should play before the NRL game.
Greenberg is an idiot as he should have sorted this out!

Belta

Juniors
I only watched the second half and I do find it hard to judge agree it is definitely disjointed but my opinion is the quality of players in ISP isn't as far off first grade as some here are suggesting. Remember, Host, Leilua, Lawrie and Sele are a few who have played first grade and certainly didn't dominate in that game or others I've watched and surely they haven't gone backwards.

I think Nicholls has been solid and is worth a gamble at half if Hunt is unavailable.

I still watch Field and feel with some tweeks to his game (back himself more/increase his involvement in the game) he could be something very special. The second try he scored was Slater like.

Herbert and Pereira based on that game aren't far off. Hopefully some of these get a shot soon and really play well.

Frank Facer

First Grade
When I watch IPS or 20's, I am looking for standouts that will make the jump to first grade. I would much rather we had 2 or 3 standouts in IPS and 20's, than a good all round team.

Unfortunately when I have watch the IPS, there don't look to be any standouts. Leilua looked the most likely of the IPS players, but he also has way too many errors in his game. As I have previously mentioned, I think Leilua's future in first grade could lie in the prop position. I think he may struggle in defence as an edge forward. Props often take time to develop their game. Leilua should be given time asap. Does he have the mongrel to play prop in first grade?

Ford looks like a good young footballer, but he needs to fill out some more for first grade.

Host looks decent, but doesn't set the world on fire. I am expecting more from him.

Sele looks like a competent young lock, but nothing special yet either.

Herbert goes alright in the IPS and I wouldn't mind seeing him given a run in first grade.

In saying all of that, some players actually perform better when they are surrounded by higher quality players in first grade.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
INTRUST SUPER PREMIERSHIP

Field and Herbert star in ISP Dragons win
Author
Andre Cupido
Timestamp
Sat 2 Jun 2018, 02:30 PM

The dynamic halves-pairing of Darren Nicholls and Jai Field has engineered a relentless second-half blitz from the Dragons as they recorded a commanding 28-10 victory over the North Sydney Bears on Saturday afternoon.

Back-to-back tries in the first-half saw the Dragons take a comfortable 10-nil lead after half-an-hour, but a try to Dean Britt in the dying stages kept the Bears well and truly in the contest with just a converted try the difference.

But three tries within a dominant nine-minute period, including two stunning four-pointers from Field, helped seal their second unanswered victory in convincing style.

Patrick Herbert put in a starring man of the match performance after an early try set the tone for the away side, before he set up an incredible try for Field in the second-half to ice an impressive individual performance.

The Dragons threatened early with some well-executed backline movements opening up some space down the left-hand touchline, but they were unable to capitalise on their chances with some costly handling errors.

But while a majority of the opening 15 minutes was played through the middle-third, it was the Dragons who drew first blood after a determined effort from Herbert close to the line helped claim first points of the afternoon.

They extended their lead when a towering Darren Nicholls bomb was fumbled by Bears fullback Jesse Arthurs, with Reuben Garrick picking up the scraps to cross in the left-hand corner.

Nicholls was unable to convert at the Dragons took a 10-0 lead after 30 minutes.

Momentum swung when a rampaging Zane Musgrove made a break through the middle-third to give his side valuable field position, and although they were unable to take advantage just a few tackles later, they eventually found their way when Dean Britt pounced on a deft kick from Billy Brittain for a crucial try just before half-time.

Dean Hawkins couldn't convert just to the left of the uprights as the Dragons held onto a slender 10-4 advantage at the break.

After a host of chances went begging just after the break for the Dragons, Nicholls took it upon himself to spark his side with a spirited individual effort from just 10 metres out which saw the dynamic halfback brush off three clutching Bears defenders on his way to the try-line.

Brimming with confidence, Jai Field bolstered their lead when he latched onto a pin-point chip kick from Herbert after the livewire fullback broke through some flimsy Bears defence off the ensuing set for a scintillating four-pointer.

Nicholls converted to take a comfortable 22-4 lead with just over 20 minutes remaining.

Field looked threatening with the ball-in-hand after he inspired a Garrick break with some nifty footwork helping him get on the outside of the opposition defenders, but a desperate Hawkins saved the Bears after he intercepted a Garrick offload.

Just moments later, the floodgates opened after Reece Robson took advantage of a quick play-the-ball with a darting run, before a late offload for Field saw the five-eighth show incredible pace to burn Arthurs for his second unanswered try.

A Connor Tracey try in the final ten minutes salvaged some pride for the Bears after a disappointing performance, as the Dragons ran away with an 18-point victory and two much-needed competition points.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/03/field-and-herbert-star-in-isp-dragons-win/

Latest posts