What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale its time.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
interesting that you label ‘premierships won’ as the only metric for a coaches performance. Maybe we should use ‘tries scored’ as the only metric of a wingers performance and see how Nighty stacks up to Nene or Mann?!

But anyway - even if ‘premierships won’ were the only metric of a coach, Bellamy still stands at #1 in the modern era of the NRL, even if you take away his illegal wins his 2 premierships are matched only by Hasler (who is not a current coach)...which puts him at #1.

But of course, there is far more to coaching ability than simply winning the big one, else there’d be 15 shit coaches every year. You look at intangibles such as improvements to the squad, ability to adapt and create game plans that will win games, and so on. Ability to sustain success over a season, and several seasons. Things that Bellamy excels in and that Demetriou has shown ability in 2 different semi-professional competitions.

Your point may hold water if Broncos were passing up Demetriou for, say, Toovey or the like. But they are chasing the #1 coach of the modern era.

Premierships delivered:

Bennett: six
Bellamy: two.

I'm unsure how two is a greater number than six. If you're referring to the so-called NRL 'era' since 1998, the count still stands in favour of Bennett 3-2.

And yes, titles is the best barometer in determining a coach's worth. Brian Smith immediately springs to mind here.

ouryears

Bench
Another rookie coach?

Been there, done that.

No, thank you.

McGuire left Souths in a reasonable state, so that's why Seibold has been one very lucky beneficiary. It's all about the 'cattle'.
Huhhh?
Madge left them a shambles, missed the semis, Burgess brothers out of form, dropping balls, playing boring one dimensional football, losing and losing games.

Siebold comes in and turns it around.

Soufs sacked a premiership winning coach for a newbie!

I have an admission to make.

Although tempted to stop after the 'congratulatory' opening of your riposte (I mean who doesn't love adulation at the best of times?), I did delve a wee bit further to the opening sentence of your second paragraph.

This is quite an achievement.

Acknowledging it's probably subjective to a few (including yourself) who ignore the only real currency of a coach's real worth - i.e. premierships won - it is really Bennett who remains the #1 coach in the game by a considerable margin.

Remember, most of Bellamy's 'success' presided over the Melbourne Storm's gross attempt to systematically rort the salary cap over a prolonged period. He also flunked rather badly at SOO level too.

I wonder if you answered (or shied away in segued format) why Brisbane has seemingly overlooked a much vaunted "great" coach in Demetriou due to his lack of first grade experience? Some may point out that appointing him would be tantamount to a risk alongside the ascension of Ivan Henjak many moons ago now.

I guess I'll never know.

Thank you for your kind words....it has summarily made my day as I awoke from a disrupted slumber.

Who doesn't "like" me though? I'm a ripping, good bloke!

I'm uncertain, however, if "resilient" is the perfect adjective for yours truly. Is there a single noun for "pain in the arse"?

J.

Jimmy, if we cannot get Bennett, what experienced GOOD coach do you see fitting us?

Please don't say Hasler, Madge, Neil Henry, etc.

So that leaves who?

BennyV

Referee
Premierships delivered:

Bennett: six
Bellamy: two.

I'm unsure how two is a greater number than six. If you're referring to the so-called NRL 'era' since 1998, the count still stands in favour of Bennett 3-2.

And yes, titles is the best barometer in determining a coach's worth. Brian Smith immediately springs to mind here.
Silly me, I'd forgotten about 2000.

Regardless, if parting ways with the #1 coach of all time, the fact that they are chasing the #2 coach of the modern era for is not a knock on the up-and-coming coach they are passing up. Considering your reverence for Garth Brennan when justifying your man-love for Mitch Rein (Brennan being a rookie coach sitting 14th on the ladder) then I find it strange that you dismiss an understudy with a more impressive record than Brennan!

And I never disagreed that titles is the best measure of a coach. However, it's not the only measure.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Huhhh?
Madge left them a shambles, missed the semis, Burgess brothers out of form, dropping balls, playing boring one dimensional football, losing and losing games.

Jimmy, if we cannot get Bennett, what experienced GOOD coach do you see fitting us?

So that leaves who?

if my choice is hindered by your own prohibitions, please provide a list of candidates to choose from.

ANYONE is better than the current bloke.

ouryears

Bench
if my choice is hindered by your own prohibitions, please provide a list of candidates to choose from.

ANYONE is better than the current bloke.
There is no one available that I would want other than if Bennett suddenly is available.

Other ex coaches including Jason Taylor, Madge, Neil Henry, Hasler are all no for me.

Only possibility would be Toovey, however, unless we miss the 8, it would not even be on the clubs radar, so not sure why it's a topic unless we crash and burn.

PS. My pass mark is Top 2.
Clubs pass mark will be top 8.

hazzbeen

Bench
There is no one available that I would want other than if Bennett suddenly is available.

Other ex coaches including Jason Taylor, Madge, Neil Henry, Hasler are all no for me.

Only possibility would be Toovey, however, unless we miss the 8, it would not even be on the clubs radar, so not sure why it's a topic unless we crash and burn.

PS. My pass mark is Top 2.
Clubs pass mark will be top 8.
Top 4 and advancement ... anything less , put him on the bus and one way ticket to the back of Bourke ....

Huhhh?

So that leaves who?
What about Toovey?
Was doing a good job at Manly.
Passionate to a fault and an ex half back so has the brains.
The other possibility but unproven of course is JD.
Wouldn't you like to emulate what Siebold has done with SOuths?

possm

Coach
What about Toovey?
Was doing a good job at Manly.
Passionate to a fault and an ex half back so has the brains.
The other possibility but unproven of course is JD.
Wouldn't you like to emulate what Siebold has done with SOuths?

I'd like to see both Bennett and JD take over the coaching duties on a 3 year deal with the plan for JD to take over from year 4 on.

I'd like to see both Bennett and JD take over the coaching duties on a 3 year deal with the plan for JD to take over from year 4 on.
What you are describing would be a dream come true and demonstrates the epitome of common sense and logic.
Now if only you could use your superior powers of telepathy and hypnotism to infuse and influence the Board with, we might end up with a cracking coaching regime that is capable of bringing back the glory days for many years to come.

Latest posts