What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ISP On tv THIS Saturday

Old Timer

Coach
INTRUST SUPER PREMIERSHIP

Field and Herbert star in ISP Dragons win
Author
Andre Cupido
Timestamp
Sat 2 Jun 2018, 02:30 PM

The dynamic halves-pairing of Darren Nicholls and Jai Field has engineered a relentless second-half blitz from the Dragons as they recorded a commanding 28-10 victory over the North Sydney Bears on Saturday afternoon.

Back-to-back tries in the first-half saw the Dragons take a comfortable 10-nil lead after half-an-hour, but a try to Dean Britt in the dying stages kept the Bears well and truly in the contest with just a converted try the difference.

But three tries within a dominant nine-minute period, including two stunning four-pointers from Field, helped seal their second unanswered victory in convincing style.

Patrick Herbert put in a starring man of the match performance after an early try set the tone for the away side, before he set up an incredible try for Field in the second-half to ice an impressive individual performance.

The Dragons threatened early with some well-executed backline movements opening up some space down the left-hand touchline, but they were unable to capitalise on their chances with some costly handling errors.

But while a majority of the opening 15 minutes was played through the middle-third, it was the Dragons who drew first blood after a determined effort from Herbert close to the line helped claim first points of the afternoon.

They extended their lead when a towering Darren Nicholls bomb was fumbled by Bears fullback Jesse Arthurs, with Reuben Garrick picking up the scraps to cross in the left-hand corner.

Nicholls was unable to convert at the Dragons took a 10-0 lead after 30 minutes.

Momentum swung when a rampaging Zane Musgrove made a break through the middle-third to give his side valuable field position, and although they were unable to take advantage just a few tackles later, they eventually found their way when Dean Britt pounced on a deft kick from Billy Brittain for a crucial try just before half-time.

Dean Hawkins couldn't convert just to the left of the uprights as the Dragons held onto a slender 10-4 advantage at the break.

After a host of chances went begging just after the break for the Dragons, Nicholls took it upon himself to spark his side with a spirited individual effort from just 10 metres out which saw the dynamic halfback brush off three clutching Bears defenders on his way to the try-line.

Brimming with confidence, Jai Field bolstered their lead when he latched onto a pin-point chip kick from Herbert after the livewire fullback broke through some flimsy Bears defence off the ensuing set for a scintillating four-pointer.

Nicholls converted to take a comfortable 22-4 lead with just over 20 minutes remaining.

Field looked threatening with the ball-in-hand after he inspired a Garrick break with some nifty footwork helping him get on the outside of the opposition defenders, but a desperate Hawkins saved the Bears after he intercepted a Garrick offload.

Just moments later, the floodgates opened after Reece Robson took advantage of a quick play-the-ball with a darting run, before a late offload for Field saw the five-eighth show incredible pace to burn Arthurs for his second unanswered try.

A Connor Tracey try in the final ten minutes salvaged some pride for the Bears after a disappointing performance, as the Dragons ran away with an 18-point victory and two much-needed competition points.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/03/field-and-herbert-star-in-isp-dragons-win/
What a load of coddswallop
Talk about spin this is something Trump would be proud of.
Field turned up for about 10 minutes and they were playing sloppy football against the all but cellar dwellers

Old Timer

Coach
Leilua (needs better handling)
Sele (looks ready)
Host (needs more mongrel)
Herbert (looks ready)

These four at the moment look the best to make that step up IMO.
Leilua just doesn't seem to know whether he is a boy or a man. He has size and natural strength and just fails to use it in every play as other young tear aways like Crichton & Arrow do. He seems to get confused as to ball play or run hard so hopefully he just runs hard and breaks some tackles and then thinks about offloads.

Sele suffers for a bit of size so maybe he is one of those guys who is general purpose utility player like a Marketo (Sele is streets in front of him though) who tries really hard and gives a 100% but is limited due to being smallish.

Host seems to be dormant and lacking intensity although does do some quality hard work. Not sure he is being handled correctly or being given enough incentive. There were some posts earlier in the season intimating he was told he wasn't in the frame for 1st grade so if true that might explain some of his lack of passion.

Herbert does look good and is a neat package in attack and defence.

I also think Robson is very close and appears to have smarts and speed off the mark.

Drag Queen

Bench
Sele (looks ready)
Herbert (looks ready)

Sele (looks ready)
Herbert (looks ready)

Sele (looks ready)
Herbert (looks ready)

Bloody hell. If this is all we have we're in dire straights Crush. I saw the win on Saturday but nobody looked FG ready. Maybe Sele or Herbert as you say but I'm still not convinced. I have no doubt we have talent in the ISP but please bring in a coach to inspire these guys.

The Damo

Juniors
Leilua just doesn't seem to know whether he is a boy or a man. He has size and natural strength and just fails to use it in every play as other young tear aways like Crichton & Arrow do. He seems to get confused as to ball play or run hard so hopefully he just runs hard and breaks some tackles and then thinks about offloads.

Sele suffers for a bit of size so maybe he is one of those guys who is general purpose utility player like a Marketo (Sele is streets in front of him though) who tries really hard and gives a 100% but is limited due to being smallish.

Host seems to be dormant and lacking intensity although does do some quality hard work. Not sure he is being handled correctly or being given enough incentive. There were some posts earlier in the season intimating he was told he wasn't in the frame for 1st grade so if true that might explain some of his lack of passion.

Herbert does look good and is a neat package in attack and defence.

I also think Robson is very close and appears to have smarts and speed off the mark.
That all matches what I’ve seen too.
The thing on Host though - I remember when that came up, it was just one poster who said that, and not a poster with a record of credibility. Then a few others repeated it based on that. So I’m disinclined to put much stock in that.
To me it looked like he started behind Luc in line for firsts, then got injured. By the time he recovered, gained match fitness he got picked again but the game plan had changed so that both our edges were playing close to 80. I certainly hope he gets time over the origin period. Should just replace Frizz this round ideally, but more likely Mary picks Frizz and plays him for 50-60 and host gets 20-30.

Bench
Again we are in the position of having two inept coaches in charge of firsts and ISP. We have the cattle but we need coaches that can manage all the two teams. On paper the ISP has some players who could play first grade. But are suffering from their coach.

Belta

Juniors
I’m not going to argue or dispute about poor coaches as the reasons are many and have been rightly raised many times, But at some point the individual’s destiny is in their own hands.

Before the game on Saturday I saw the line up. I was really looking forward to seeing some of those isp (particularly forwards) really rip in, hoping they would snag a FG spot on Monday.

As mentioned, Leilua was certainly in the picture a lot but spoilt his efforts by errors and errors will kill you in FG. Others went ok but unfortunately no standouts.

On the same weekend the young Roosters backrower (Collins) steps up in FG and sets the place on :fire:.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
There has been a mass exodus of ISP
players over the past two years and it is really an Under 23's side with not much depth.

SBD82

Coach
Bought tickets to take the old man to the manly game in the gong. He said we should check if there is a ressies game and go early like the old days.

Turns out ressies at 1. Flegg is at 3ish. Then NRL at 5.30. Stoked. Gonna be broke though, it's still my job to fetch the beers. Some things never change.

Bench
Bought tickets to take the old man to the manly game in the gong. He said we should check if there is a ressies game and go early like the old days.

Turns out ressies at 1. Flegg is at 3ish. Then NRL at 5.30. Stoked. Gonna be broke though, it's still my job to fetch the beers. Some things never change.
Back in the olden days I would get to Kogarah to watch all the three grades. Always enjoyed watching the three games

Gareth67

First Grade

Well don't go getting your old man too merry and dropping him off at Mum's house sloshed , or he will never hear the end of it ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hope you both have a wonderful day and also can celebrate a big win by the Dragons in all 3 grades .

SBD82

Coach
Well don't go getting your old man too merry and dropping him off at Mum's house sloshed , or he will never hear the end of it ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Good point Gareth. Maybe I'll have to take him out for some drinks after the game.

A wise man once told me that there's no point running home to a fight. It's still gonna be there when you get home.

Latest posts