What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mate against mate as Slater, Smith fall out

Canard

Immortal
Think about it for a minute. Speaking for the Penrith club, he couldn't exactly confirm it, now could he? Not only exposing the club to legal action but identifying innocent parties in the playing group who would already have been suffering considerable grief. For the same reasons (mainly the first one) the media had to keep mum. They would have known.

What other logical explanation do you have? A falling out with the coach? That would have been all over the media a la Elijah Taylor. There was no explanation given whatsoever for dropping then releasing a quality player who was performing well.

There are 100000 other logical explanations. You've just jumped to a massive conclusion.

TheFrog

Coach
The club wanted to try to win the NRL comp so went after Maloney as an experienced partner to Cleary.
Maloney wasn't considered until Moylan asked for a release, which was half a season after the events under discussion. Moylan, at the time the fullback, being the captain and considered the future of the club.

Springs09

Juniors
Think about it for a minute. Speaking for the Penrith club, he couldn't exactly confirm it, now could he? Not only exposing the club to legal action but identifying innocent parties in the playing group who would already have been suffering considerable grief. For the same reasons (mainly the first one) the media had to keep mum. They would have known.

What other logical explanation do you have? A falling out with the coach? That would have been all over the media a la Elijah Taylor. There was no explanation given whatsoever for dropping then releasing a quality player who was performing well.

He could have fallen out with any number of other players over any number of things, but nah, the only way for a player to fall out with other players is to bang someone's wife/girlfriend. It's the only possible logical explanation.

betcats

Referee
It's not the "only logical" explanation. It's been debunked by non other then Phil Gould himself

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...-te-maire-martin-rumours-20170701-gx2sgf.html

Gould has lied so often in these statements and press releases, he would have no problem lying about that rumour to protect Te Maire. I don't know what happened with TMM but something went down, he was dropped and banished from the team while being one of our better performers to start that season. It certainly wasn't about Maloney, that was months later.

Anyway I wish TMM all the best, shit happens and life goes on.

Canard

Immortal
Gould has lied so often in these statements and press releases, he would have no problem lying about that rumour to protect Te Maire. I don't know what happened with TMM but something went down, he was dropped and banished from the team while being one of our better performers to start that season. It certainly wasn't about Maloney, that was months later.

I'm all ears.

He came out and specifically denied the rumour after he had left the team.

Why would an club CEO do that?

Having the view that the ONLY explanation is that he banged someone's missus is ridiculous.

betcats

Referee
He came out and specifically denied the rumour after he had left the team.

Why would an club CEO do that?

Having the view that the ONLY explanation is that he banged someone's missus is ridiculous.

To protect the players involved and shut down any speculation that would distract the players(including ours). Believe what you like but the rumour makes more sense than us dropping and in form big name recruit after 3 games of a new season and then not picking him again despite a number of injuries. We went back to Cartwright in the halves rather than pick TMM, it made absolutely no sense. Then the rumour starts going round, then Mez breaks up with his fiancé and finally TMM is released. It could be something else, either way something went down.

moffla

Bench
I saw the two in question at a cafe 3 weeks ago having a laff together

Unless Smith has shagged Slaters missus in that time then old mate is talking out of his arse

nsw2012

Juniors
Smith was at the MCG today talking to the QLD side. Was spotted chatting to Billy Slater, all seemed fine.

OldPanther

Coach
To protect the players involved and shut down any speculation that would distract the players(including ours). Believe what you like but the rumour makes more sense than us dropping and in form big name recruit after 3 games of a new season and then not picking him again despite a number of injuries. We went back to Cartwright in the halves rather than pick TMM, it made absolutely no sense. Then the rumour starts going round, then Mez breaks up with his fiancé and finally TMM is released. It could be something else, either way something went down.

Not only that, they picked an injured Cartwright over TMM.

Life's Good

Coach
I saw the two in question at a cafe 3 weeks ago having a laff together

Unless Smith has shagged Slaters missus in that time then old mate is talking out of his arse
What, you’re questioning Danny Weirdo? Say it ain’t so.

unforgiven

Bench

There are also rumours that the 3rd party was not TMM but another Panthers player.

Glen

Bench
My favourite part is where he went to the managers/agents who obviously shot it down. Then that becomes them 'refusing to discuss' the story, as if they are running scared from this douche