What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 106 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.7%

• Total voters

Happy MEel

First Grade
I think the coaching is a problem. I don’t think we’ve played an attractive brand of attacking footy since 2014. Every year after that has seen the team struggle to get over the line due to a lack of creativity. Even in 2016 and 2017 when the team was doing well it was more due to gritty defence rather than any meaningful attack. Even when we have loads of possession inside the opposition 20m zone we can’t get over the line for some reason. We’ve had the likes of Hayne, Radradra, Jennings, Gutherson, French, Norman and Moses during that time so playing talent hasn’t been the problem. In fact a lot of those players have shown outstanding individual form at different times over the years. What is your explanation then? Surely the way the team is being coached must have something to do with it.
Agreed. I’m sure BA is hamstrung to some extent but it’s his job to prepare a footy team for 80 minutes of football each week. With the squad at his disposal, even factoring in the injuries, we should be going a lot better than 2-11.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think the coaching is a problem. I don’t think we’ve played an attractive brand of attacking footy since 2014. Every year after that has seen the team struggle to get over the line due to a lack of creativity. Even in 2016 and 2017 when the team was doing well it was more due to gritty defence rather than any meaningful attack. Even when we have loads of possession inside the opposition 20m zone we can’t get over the line for some reason. We’ve had the likes of Hayne, Radradra, Jennings, Gutherson, French, Norman and Moses during that time so playing talent hasn’t been the problem. In fact a lot of those players have shown outstanding individual form at different times over the years. What is your explanation then? Surely the way the team is being coached must have something to do with it.

Yeah our attack may have not been the greatest over the last few years, but I suspect that probably has something to do with the amount of spine combinations we have had over the last few years.

Gee even this year we have used 4 fullbacks and 3 hookers.

How many combo’s did we use in 2016? We had Gordon / peats / Robson / Taka / gutho / Foran / IDG / Pritchard / Norman / Kelly used in the spine - that’s a few players.

Last year we looked ok when we had a settled spine for a few games but then we lost Gutherson then French.

Would be interesting to compare how many spine combinations the premiers have used within 2 years of winning the comp.

While I agree Moses / Norman haven’t really worked that well this year, most of our spine issues have come down to injuries.

The 2016 shit storm really f**ked us up big time, our long term spine was looking good with
1. Gutherson 6. Norman 7. Foran 9. Peats. That’s a bloody good combo but factors out side BA’s control stuffed it all up ( foran’s mental breakdown and salary cap disaster was not BA’s fault).

What other coach has had to deal with what BA has had to deal with?

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach

Over the last 4 years, we have averaged between 17% and 24% LESS points FOR, than the minor premiers (who have not always had the best attack). Another way of putting this is that the minor premiers have scored between 23% and 31% MORE points than us. These stats include goal kicking.

And over the same period, have conceded as much as 90% more points than the minor premiers (at best it was 36% in 2017). Apart from 2014 when Souths had better defence than the Roosters (minor premiers), the minor premiers have had the best defence each and every year.

BA has had a focus on defence and has said many times, "once the defence is sorted the attack will come" - seems to me like defence wins more games than attack so he is probably right to focus on sorting our defence.

Over the last 4 years, we have averaged between 17% and 24% LESS points FOR, than the minor premiers (who have not always had the best attack). Another way of putting this is that the minor premiers have scored between 23% and 31% MORE points than us. These stats include goal kicking.

And over the same period, have conceded as much as 90% more points than the minor premiers (at best it was 36% in 2017). Apart from 2014 when Souths had better defence than the Roosters (minor premiers), the minor premiers have had the best defence each and every year.

BA has had a focus on defence and has said many times, "once the defence is sorted the attack will come" - seems to me like defence wins more games than attack so he is probably right to focus on sorting our defence.

Well, yeh, but if you offer f**k all in attack, you are going to have to do a lot more defending in a lot worse field position, against a lot less tired runners. I don't think you can just separate the two aspects of the game so clearly.

emjaycee

Coach
Well, yeh, but if you offer f**k all in attack, you are going to have to do a lot more defending in a lot worse field position, against a lot less tired runners. I don't think you can just separate the two aspects of the game so clearly.

Oh I agree, my point was more that the better teams (the minor premiers) all seem to have sorted their defence out first and foremost, which is what BA was concentrating on.
And to add to your point, if you hold on to the ball, complete your sets and don't give away penalties then you force the other team to defend more against a lot less tired runners.

In other words, strong defence, high completion rates, low errors and good discipline all contribute to winning games - add to these things an effective attack and I would be bold enough to suggest that you might win more games than you loose.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No fcking shit!!!

But why’d they wait till 0-6. Lol
Because they thought we can run on the smell of an oily rag and it was only after a clearly shitful start that they realised that this wasn’t the case.

That said, I’m sure many people (including possibly BA himself) had already highlighted how unsustainable this was prior to us being 0-6.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No fcking shit!!!

But why’d they wait till 0-6. Lol
Because they thought we can run on the smell of an oily rag and it was only after a clearly shitful start that they realised that this wasn’t the case.

That said, I’m sure many people (including possibly BA himself) had already highlighted how unsustainable this was prior to us being 0-6.

strider

Post Whore

Dam straight .... You can say that again

lingard

Coach

I might be misreading your post, but it seems to me that, despite BA concentrating on our defence, these efforts have been a dismal failure. Am I wrong?

emjaycee

Coach
I might be misreading your post, but it seems to me that, despite BA concentrating on our defence, these efforts have been a dismal failure. Am I wrong?
My original comment came in response to someone posting that our attack was non-existant and therefore BA was a shit coach (paraphrasing). My point was that BA recognises the need to fix defence before worrying about attack, not that I think he has fixed it.

hindmarshisgod

Juniors
These players are going backwards under Dope Arthur, yet you dopes want to keep him on and waste another year.

Lucky you idiots aren't in charge and it looks highly likely that Athur will be punted this year as sponsors are getting fed up.

Latest posts