What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A game well played by NSW

kinghippo

Juniors
Great game tonight, QLD showed the series will be close but NSW always looked like scoring more points.
I thought that the blues really suffered after Klemmer and RCG went off.
JDB came off soon after and we lost all our aggression and started to struggle in the middle.
Maybe a rethink of the bench and rotation would help but all in all amazing win and everyone will be stronger next time around.

user_nat

Coach
Felt a lot closer than game 1 last year, which actually may be a good thing for NSW. Went to their head a bit last time.

Frailty

First Grade
Felt like NSW lost a bit of threat when they moved Frizell to the middle of the field to cater for Crichton to go on the edge.

They can improve their last tackle pressure on Queensland, and when they have the ball they should be deeper for their kicks.

Aside from that, the team seemed composed and never really got rattled - even when they went down.

I can't believe there are articles out there claiming we were robbed. f**k off. The better team won. Too many useless, ineffective forwards on the park for us and NSW exploited that in the second half.

Howwy

Juniors
I can't believe there are articles out there claiming we were robbed. f**k off. The better team won. Too many useless, ineffective forwards on the park for us and NSW exploited that in the second half.

Have to dolefully agree ... the breaks usually go with the side making the running and all too often that was not us.

Lewis

Juniors

Jarrad Wallace played f**ked......

Lewis

Juniors
Good start, blues.

Was it.....?

Individual brilliance is what got NSW home. As a team, they were on the ropes 10 mins into the 2nd half and if not for a wrong call from the refs, QLD look poised to go on with it. Take Tedesco out of it and NSW were pretty ordinary.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I would like to watch the game again sober, but I got the impression NSW gave up speed in the line in defence and on the kick chase and prioritised keeping a straight line which meant they were happy to give away extra metres.

This gave Qld an advantage in the grind, but they rarely looked like scoring. Their points came from a kick and intercept

Freddy also put his starters out there 10.mins after the maroons starting middle came back on so they were fresher.

As soon as they did points came. It was great coaching and the maroons fell hook, line and sinker.

Will be very different in game 2. Qld will hit back hard but they need to find some points.

betcats

Referee
Was it.....?

Individual brilliance is what got NSW home. As a team, they were on the ropes 10 mins into the 2nd half and if not for a wrong call from the refs, QLD look poised to go on with it. Take Tedesco out of it and NSW were pretty ordinary.

Held qld to one linebreak. They only scored from an intercept and kick they couldn’t crack us. Maloney won’t play like that again and the 11 debutants will take huge confidence from that defensive performance.

We had qld on the ropes when Maloney threw that intercept. 8 nil up with an overlap, if he sticks that pass the game is blown wide open and we probably put a big score on.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench

The difference was Maloney and his organisation of the NSW team.

Hunt would've been the bloke to do this for QLD, but he sat out all but the captains run re training sessions. Without Smith, Thurston, & particularly Cronk who is the master, these were massive shoes for QLD to fill. Not having the player who would take it on in his first start in the role not able to train with the team was a big disadvantage. QLD did alright but lacked direction for the most part. Inglis did some good inspirational things individually, but a bloke is not going to do much of the managing of troops from left centre.

This was compounded by having the other bloke who would be barking instructions and organising the forwards in Slater not training and being ruled out as well. Munster isn't the player who does this sort of shit (and doesn't have to at club) and plays his own running game. Milf is exactly the same. In hindsight, maybe Scott's experience would've been helpful but I guess Walters didn't realise his two chief organisers would be under injury clouds, particularly Hunt.

If they have a good week (albeit a short one) with Hunt calling the shots at training, it may be a better one for QLD in game 2

Latest posts