What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not even close to forward

wibble

Bench
Watching NRL 360, and the goons that they hire as so called experts are all giggling to themselves about how NSW got a lucky break with the Maloney pass to Ado-Carr for a try in last night's Origin match.

That pass was not in the vicinity of being forward. It shouldn't even merit discussion.

But the fact that these self styled experts all think it was and then supposedly have valid observations about the game shows they know next to nothing and think they know almost everything.

Just to be clear, this is not a NSW v Qld thing. No doubt plenty will see it as that, and that is the tribal nature of the sport.

Some may say I am biased as a NSWelshman. I didn't watch the game, and didn't care about the result. I was vaguely hoping Qld would win but I didn't really care.

This is also not a rehashing of the million plus page forward pass thread. If you think passes that at all go forward compared to the ground should be called forward you need to join a cult or something. You, flat earthers, creationists, anti vaxers, and climate deniers can all have regular meetings and discuss the latest trends in tin foil hats.

You might meet Hooper there, and any other idiot journalist who said the pass "floated" forward (like the fox sports writer who last night pointed out Maloney released it one side of the line and it was caught just on the other side). If your career is to report on a game at least learn the main rules.

But the dead give away that it was not forward is where Maloney ended up compared to Addo-Carr when it was caught. He was a long way in front of Addo-Carr, which is almost always the best sign of the direction the ball travelled compared to him (i.e. a long way backwards).

A ball will slow a bit from air resistance and Maloney may have accelerated a bit or straightened up a little, which can also put him in front of the receiver.

It didn't look like he did much speeding up (he probably slowed a bit if anything, as most players do after passing) or straightening though, and the ball ended up a long way behind him.

So why are ex-players and career journalists who supposedly analyse the game, unable to at all comprehend a basic part of the game?

Jason Maher

Immortal
It was forward. The one that was called forward that gave Queensland the field position for their second try wasn't. Call it a wash.

Danish

Referee
I thought it forward a mile last night. Funnily enough though the whinging QLD news coverage today changed my mind.

they actually put together a graphic to “prove” it was thrown forward using a superimposed line across be field comparing the point he threw the ball to where it was caught....... and while the release point was behind the catch point, Jimmy was a solid 3-4 metres in front of the ball when the Fox received it.

Now, the simple Queenslanders couldn’t grasp what they’d just done, but simple physics tells us that in order for jimmy to be that far ahead of the ball at all times after throwing it, it must have gone backwards out of the hands.

Fair try

wibble

Bench

Well it is on its way with awesome contributions like that.

It was forward. Next we will have the trigonometry crowd in here.

Well the flat earther/ forward pass tin foil hat brigade are already here, so logic and trigonometry won't help now.

Addo-Carr was behind Maloney when Maloney passed, stayed behind him the whole duration of the pass, and had to slow up (rather than lunge forward) to get it, which are all signs of a regulation "backwards" pass.

If the line or "floating" forward are the only counter arguments (and not even those poor arguments have been proposed by anyone here, so far) then we can probably conclude the forward pass case is based on being conciliatory winners, upset losers, or controversy seeking journalists

wibble

Bench
Moved...

I guess if a thread mentions Origin or Media it doesn't belong in the NRL.

Must be about 1000 threads need moving.

Well it is on its way with awesome contributions like that.

Well the flat earther/ forward pass tin foil hat brigade are already here, so logic and trigonometry won't help now.

Addo-Carr was behind Maloney when Maloney passed, stayed behind him the whole duration of the pass, and had to slow up (rather than lunge forward) to get it, which are all signs of a regulation "backwards" pass.

If the line or "floating" forward are the only counter arguments (and not even those poor arguments have been proposed by anyone here, so far) then we can probably conclude the forward pass case is based on being conciliatory winners, upset losers, or controversy seeking journalists
Diddums

Perth Red

Post Whore
Passed it a metre behind the line, caught it a metre in front of the line, thenfact maloney sprinted forward after passing to make it look like “momentum” was a smart moved and fooled the dumb 4 officials lol

Last Week

Bench
Passed it a metre behind the line, caught it a metre in front of the line, thenfact maloney sprinted forward after passing to make it look like “momentum” was a smart moved and fooled the dumb 4 officials lol

The first time I see you comment about something on the field and not only are you wrong as usual, but you're a f**king idiot, as usual.

T-Boon

Coach
The ball travelled forward but it wasn't a bad one.
Everyone seems to agree the one that desperately needs fixing is the dummy half forward pass. I hate those because they are just about trying to steel as many hit up metres as possible. It just feeds into the whole wrestle/ruck-speed/completion crap. At least other forward passes are usually an attacking pass (like trying to get it to a winger who is outside the defenders). I would make dummy half forward passes a penalty.

taipan

Referee
As an avowed AFL fan, I saw nothing wrong with it.o_O

Rothfield used his slide rule ( another instrument he has with him apart from the decibel meter)and saw the pill perfectly passed in a backward motion.

wibble

Bench

Watch it again. Maloney doesn't "sprint" anywhere. Is always in front of the ball, always stays in front of it, and Addo-Carr is always behind it.

Two metres (the metre behind and metre in front that yet another journalist was getting worked up over just over on news.com a minute ago) is actually a tiny amount of forward momentum for a 10+ metre wide pass. It probably travelled such a small distance forward because Maloney's run was quite angled.

But even if he was running 60 degrees away from directly at the line (which is getting close to running sideways) he would still impart half his running speed to the ball. If he was only running at 5 metres per second, which is pretty pedestrian, that is still 2.5 metres per second. If the ball was in the air for only a second, it would travel 2.5 metres from momentum.

The fact the ball hardly travelled forward at all, is more evidence that it was thrown backwards.

Freeze the play at any point along the pass, and you'll see the relative positions of Maloney and Addo-Carr are always those of players throwing and receiving (respectively) a "backwards" pass.

It is such a regulation pass, I can only think that the media blow ups, and people getting worked up on here, are due to the nature of the match it was thrown in.