What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aaron Woods

Bench
Hey 2010, You know that prior to Vaughn coming to Saints he was in reserves for Canberra? Graham was also not playing that well same with Sims and McInnes. They seem to be playing a hell of a lot better now under Mary though or is it just coincidence? Can't see why Woods cannot get back to his best although I would not take that chance. Woods at his best was not that good anyway.
Wasn’t he behind two regular first graders that stopped him getting a go in the first grade team. I might be wrong in that. I am sure someone on here might know more

Belta

Juniors
2010 said;

“Wasn’t he behind two regular first graders that stopped him getting a go in the first grade team. I might be wrong in that. I am sure someone onhere might know more”
________—-__________——————

They had just signed Junior Paulo as one of the premier signings and Shannon Boyd (who was playing for Australia at the time) as the other prop. It’s ironic now that both these players are now leaving Canberra.

ouryears

Bench
Despite the flack by forum members on Woods the stats reposted by Auntie Gerald shows Woods stats mirror Vaughan's only he has 45 offloads to Vaughan's 15. He also has a quick play the ball. His tackle efficiency is one of the highest. So really

Is he overrated? I'd say Yes

Should Vaughan of played Origin instead of Woods last year? I'd say Yes

Is he worthless? I'd say no
If he was signed by the Dragons would he and Vaughan got us good go forward and combined well with our awesome back row? (especially if you have Graham as an interchange) I'd say yes

Hopefully Lawrie could do the same but it's not reflective of his performances in ISP.

So it's Junior Paulo to the Eels, Shannon Boyd to the Titans, Tim Glasby likely to go to Newcastle, Ah Mau to the Warriors and we promote Lawrie.

The thing is....Woods offloads are loosely thrown passes along the ground, offloads to players in worse positions than him, offloads thrown when he goes into the line bum first, and so on.....

Of course he does do some decent offloads, I would say 10 from his 45 have been genuine offloads.

He backs into the defence, doesn't hit hard, it's a big no from me.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The thing is....Woods offloads are loosely thrown passes along the ground, offloads to players in worse positions than him, offloads thrown when he goes into the line bum first, and so on.....

Of course he does do some decent offloads, I would say 10 from his 45 have been genuine offloads.

Add to that the yards he covers by jogging across the defensive line, only to be the third man in a tackle. Looks more like he is having a training run.

Stats are a handy thing to have sometimes, but they can be misleading.

Bum on?
Craig Young style?
Sign that man immediately.

Belta

Juniors
Our Years said;

"...offloads thrown when he goes into the line bumfirst...doesn't hit hard, it's a big no from me."

To be honest, I think there are better options, I did agree he was overrated, but perhaps in the right side could give good metres, something we need to have once Ah Mau goes. If we don't get a good prop our young forwards have got the rest of this year, plus a full off season so it may pay to wait abit. Possums suggestion re Leilua as a possible prop may have some credit. I'm not a fan of the suggestion of Friz up front, I really liked how Freddy used him in Origin running out wide he was soo hard to handle.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i'd be very happy to cheer on aaron woods wearing red & white....

....in the ISP...

Gareth67

First Grade
image.jpg

Well as someone else said much earlier on - " don't forget the chooks " . And what do you know , they are now squawking about signing Woods as they have room in their cap to be able to afford him , will wonders never cease !

Last edited:
Reactions: jak
Bum on?
Craig Young style?
Sign that man immediately.

Haha they were my thoughts exactly. Stealing Albert's moves!

Woods isn't for us in my opinion and a lot here seem to agree, and there's the other thread on Kane Evans with similar sentiment.

Left-field I was thinking who in the English Superleague could we get maybe at a decent rate.

And so it led me to a Left-field pick - Pauli Pauli. Poor bugger had his car crash in 2017, then a broken leg and I understand he's on a one year deal. Anyone see how he's going over there?

Great promise at Parra, stutter at the Knights.. Lump of a lad and he's only 23.

Talent potential is always there if fitness it maintained - it then comes down to getting a persons' mindset on track. If Pauli Pauli is fit, and wants another shot at the NRL... well.... lets give him a Red V and see..

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Our don’t think our pack will have the zing needed come finals in 2018 compared a pack the size of the bunnies, Panthers , Melbourne, cowboays etc

I do feel we need another large prop and I’d prefer Mann to play the wing

Latest posts