What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 14 vs Sharks @ Southern Cross Group Stadium

Who will win? Round 14: Sharks v Wests Tigers

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BuffaloRules

Coach
I keep saying that a maximum of 16 points a game isn’t going to put you in the winners circle very often... it did a few times early in the season but teams have improved their attack now..

Don’t see that changing the rest of the year unfortunately...

Not sure about next year either.... Assuming Mbye at 1,still a major need for speed in 2 through 5... I watched the ISP game yesterday and didn’t see the answer there ...

BuffaloRules

Coach
He does but he drops it or does something stupid a lot. He just isn't handling first grade at the moment. He is our best hooker but do you put him there when he just doesn't seem physically up to it at the moment.

So better to pick Godinet on the bench for 25 mins of plod? Surely Liddle can do a better job if Ivan is just looking for a hooker fill in off the bench... very confusing selection decision..

macnaz

Staff member
Also what has improved apart from effort ? I cant say im seeing much at all in the way of skills improving..
Its just boring monotonous crap which they still cant even get a grip on.

Tiger05

First Grade
Off today’s effort, Twal, by a mile.

Lawrence over the season. Maybe Twal is next. Packer hasn't been getting it done. Matulino hasn't been great but I think he is improving. Eisenhuth is good. We actually had a good role on up the middle. Still Fonua and Masters were the key guys getting us going forward. Those two work really hard.

Tiger05

First Grade
So better to pick Godinet on the bench for 25 mins of plod? Surely Liddle can do a better job if Ivan is just looking for a hooker fill in off the bench... very confusing selection decision..

I agree with you. If you are going to use ET Liddle has to be there. He can play really well for short periods. Hopefully he comes on and plays to his potential. That is a much better way to manage him in my opinion. Ease him into first grade. Still he was really struggling in first grade so I can understand the decision.

macnaz

Staff member
I agree with you. If you are going to use ET Liddle has to be there. He can play really well for short periods. Hopefully he comes on and plays to his potential. That is a much better way to manage him in my opinion. Ease him into first grade. Still he was really struggling in first grade so I can understand the decision.
Or MM ffs

Vozzy

Juniors
They are a squad of journeyman and your average 1st grader they will beat teams below them in close games but won't beat teams above them. They traded wins and loses with storm with parra and the knights but have struggled against other top 8 sides. It's a rebuilding year the wins are a bonus. Once we can build a squad over the next 3 years can't see us being consistent. Ivan said on fox it's a 3-5 year rebuild from when he started. The just need a bit more skill and combos. Too many changes to the team. Players are going in and out of form making it look clunky in attack.

I'm not expecting much for the rest of the year but we have taken huge strides from last year.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Players are going in and out of form making it look clunky in attack.

The attack is clunky because we crab across field and run one out. When they can go straight, with the odd decoy, we look so much better and usually score some points.

macnaz

Staff member
They are a squad of journeyman and your average 1st grader they will beat teams below them in close games but won't beat teams above them. They traded wins and loses with storm with parra and the knights but have struggled against other top 8 sides. It's a rebuilding year the wins are a bonus. Once we can build a squad over the next 3 years can't see us being consistent. Ivan said on fox it's a 3-5 year rebuild from when he started. The just need a bit more skill and combos. Too many changes to the team. Players are going in and out of form making it look clunky in attack.

I'm not expecting much for the rest of the year but we have taken huge strides from last year.
3-5 years haha.. we are used to waiting so whats another half a decade .

Front-Rower

First Grade
So coaching ??

Don’t know. They can do it sometimes but at other times they just look completely lost. I’d say ability has something to do with it. Hopefully Reynolds can provide the experience we need. Benji, to me, is still a running 5/8th and Brooks, well I don’t know if he is up to 1st grade standard consistently enough.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Yeah.. not buying the 3-5 years... Ivan won’t have that long to get a good result..

Problem with the rebuild theory is that the players started well but at are not improving..

Can’t really nominate many players going better now than in the first 6 rounds...

Maybe Twal... Lawrence has been pretty consistent..

Packer, Chee-Kam, Brooks, Benji, Marsters, Tui going backwards at a rate of knots..

macnaz

Staff member
Yeah.. not buying the 3-5 years... Ivan won’t have that long to get a good result..

Problem with the rebuild theory is that the players started well but at are not improving..

Can’t really nominate many players going better now than in the first 6 rounds...

Packer, Chee-Kam, Brooks, Benji, Marsters, Tui going backwards at a rate of knots..
Spot on , i was called a troll by Brother Jim for touching on this point .
Regardless of the level of players we have ... we need to be seeing improvement , what so is it acceptable to say oh but they are only average players we have and at the same time watch them become below average as the year progresses?
If we lost 6 straight and THEN won 5 from seven you would feel confident things are improving.
Dont forget Cleary had nearly a full season last year and a very healthy cheque book at his disposal so the players picked are very much his doing.. like packer for 4 seasons ... wow!!

Tiger Ted

Bench

Cleary has some major problems in attempting to succeed @ Concord & his recruitment & re-signing of players he conveniently has coached in the past has much to do with it(Packer matulino Godinet Mwz Taylor naquama).Its of particular concern that the 2 kiwi props he signed on huge $ for 3 & 4 yrs are not delivering & they aren’t young.Twal who is on a fraction of their money is massively outperforming them.

The only 2 recruits who have been great value for money thus far are Fonua & Thompson & they fell in Cleary’s lap coz their manager Mario tartak came to us knowing Cleary had plenty of spots to fill in assembling our roster.

Our spine as per usual was shithouse today & it beggars belief that Cleary would continue to pick LoLo & Taylor in key positions.

Chances are Cleary won’t b at the club to fulfill a 3-5 yr plan if we continue to miss the semis over the next few yrs.We have buckleys of playing finals this yr & I don’t c how Cleary can improve the team/roster enough next yr for things to get better.

Like I said recently there’s a big likelihood he will severely fk up his coaching CV during his tenure at Concord.

macnaz

Staff member
Can i add we have been competitive in nearly every game BUT its the coachable things that are letting us down .. discipline, ball skills, kicking, game plan and a f**king real hooker to name a few.
Bellamy would coach the shit out of these things so we get it right!!

Das Hassler

Bench
Cleary has some major problems in attempting to succeed @ Concord & his recruitment & re-signing of players he conveniently has coached in the past has much to do with it(Packer matulino Godinet Mwz Taylor naquama).Its of particular concern that the 2 kiwi props he signed on huge $ for 3 & 4 yrs are not delivering & they aren’t young.Twal who is on a fraction of their money is massively outperforming them.

The only 2 recruits who have been great value for money thus far are Fonua & Thompson & they fell in Cleary’s lap coz their manager Mario tartak came to us knowing Cleary had plenty of spots to fill in assembling our roster.

Our spine as per usual was shithouse today & it beggars belief that Cleary would continue to pick LoLo & Taylor in key positions.

Chances are Cleary won’t b at the club to fulfill a 3-5 yr plan if we continue to miss the semis over the next few yrs.We have buckleys of playing finals this yr & I don’t c how Cleary can improve the team/roster enough next yr for things to get better.

Like I said recently there’s a big likelihood he will severely fk up his coaching CV during his tenure at Concord.

Why wouldnt Cleary be here to see it through?....Dragons have stuck with Mary's plan for how long and its' finally and solidly happening for them now....Brown / Nights?...again..go and read the panthers tragics howling for Griffin's axing just earlier this year..If the club KNOWS for sure that there's a realistic chance of getting Nathan over then Ivan's job will be the most secure in the whole NRL even if it's not already.

Just to add....i think what everyone would probably agree on...after years of chaos and out of control egos everywhere you looked what this club needed WAY more than immediate onfield success was a cleanout ..stability and direction...at last we have a solid club on the rise and that shouldn't be underappreciated and i'd say the board full well knows that....as do the dogs right now

Last edited:

Latest posts