What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we genuine contenders??

Crush

Coach
Its NRL. There are about 8 teams that are genuine competition threats. Its not the EPL!
8+ teams can win this comp.
To prove that fact, when was the last team to go back to back?
1993 FFS?

mickeylane

Bench
Strictly a 3 horse race for the premiership this year -
Dragons, Penrith, Souths...
Ive already tipped Dragons v Penrith GF back in early May.

Other teams too inconsistent.....

mickeylane

Bench
Yes we won. Yes we lead the comp. Are we genuine contenders? I'd like to think so. Trouble is the best I have seen from Penrith, Souths, Storm, Warriors and Sharks is better than the best I have seen from us. All those sides can create a genuine backline movement, we just seem to go one out, or sideways, and we rely on individual effort. Its got us a long way in this comp, but it won't be enough to win finals.
So you missed the Melbourne Storm game and the Broncos game and Gold Coast game we played? Our best was beast mode forward pack and thats what wins comps...we have the best pack fullstop...and IMO the best halves ....seriously not one team scares me -

BennyV

Referee
Depends what is meant by ‘genuine contenders’.

I think we’ll make the Top 4 on the back of blitzing the first half of the comp and having the breeziest run home of any top teams. That’s a great effort and an overachievement considering the monstrous handicap we have. We are banking wins (just) against shitty teams which is something we’ve struggled with in years gone by.

We won’t win the comp though. In fact, I can’t see us winning a finals game. I don’t think we’ve got the strategy that can be sustained despite individual brilliance. I think we are too predictable and top teams have a blueprint to beat us, and we don’t have the brain cells to counter. And I don’t think our approach to the season allows us to bump up another level in the finals.

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
Definitely genuine contenders! Let us not forget we have a 5 year plan within the 5 years I think we should get 1 premiership at least! I wll be more than happy with top 4 this year and win 1 in the finals! 2019 I will expect and want more! D4L

ouryears

Bench
Well, Souths, Penrith and the Warriors have been in the top 4 all year. None really strike fear in me and we can beat all 3 on our day. We’ve already beaten the Sharks twice this year as well.

Storm and Roosters look very beatable this year and Eels and Cows who are the other normal favourites are nowhere.

So to answer your question, this comp is wide open, so yes this is one of those years where anyone can win it including us.
Souths and Penrith toyed with us.

It was like watching Crawford toy with Horn.

So no, we are not genuine contenders.

ouryears

Bench
So you missed the Melbourne Storm game and the Broncos game and Gold Coast game we played? Our best was beast mode forward pack and thats what wins comps...we have the best pack fullstop...and IMO the best halves ....seriously not one team scares me -
Mickey, form comes and goes, sometimes it never returns.

Those early days have gone.

ouryears

Bench
Its NRL. There are about 8 teams that are genuine competition threats. Its not the EPL!
8+ teams can win this comp.
To prove that fact, when was the last team to go back to back?
1993 FFS?
I would say storm, rabbits and Panthers.

3 teams can win.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I actually think there are 6 genuine contenders for the comp this year. Saints, Easts, Penrith, Souths, Warriors and Cronulla.

I don't think we're title contenders this year but we've defs shown that we're well on our way to it in the years to come. We played shocking tonight. 10 mins in with what feels like an eternity since the Penrith game, I though we'd smashes them by 40 easily, next thing you know we're winning by 2 against a team pushing for the spoon.

That being said, we had a form slump mid season in 2010 too and got it together after we played the Roosters at the SCG and started our run, so you never know.

nontime111

Juniors
its better to slump now, I think souths and penrith possibly ( hopefully) have gone too hard too early and already peaked .....too early , its a long long season I think were dong fine, Marys talked about conservation of energy, I think the guys fully based with a plan

we have no injuries! so many teams do, we win today even when playing shit, this is the supreme mark of a champion team when even in a slump

I think by the looks Nights is gone, sadly, but hopefully, but its for the best, watch for Mann to carve it up on the wing and give us more speed. also I think Lomax will get a crack then well turn things round again and get right out of this slump with an injection of youth to pick up the whole team

Dufty coming good in defence, I think were just about to crank it again, of course we can win it! were leading the comp more than halfway through a season

Pro Dragons

Juniors
I know it is a team game but I think Ben Hunt carrying a cork injury has had a big effect on our attack. It's not the only reason but I think he needs to be fit to realise our full potential.

BennyV

Referee
I've seen a few people claim that this is an 'origin lull' or something to that effect, and that we will come good and peak around finals time. Is this based on anything other than blind faith? Are you aware of some training regime that the rest of us are not? What evidence, in the history of Mary coaching and Pickworth conditioning, do you have that indicates in any way that we are able to step it up at any point from here on in? The last few games sure as hell dont show any type of building.

ouryears

Bench
I know it is a team game but I think Ben Hunt carrying a cork injury has had a big effect on our attack. It's not the only reason but I think he needs to be fit to realise our full potential.
Anyone know how long a cork takes to fully recover?

ouryears

Bench
its better to slump now, I think souths and penrith possibly ( hopefully) have gone too hard too early and already peaked .....too early , its a long long season I think were dong fine, Marys talked about conservation of energy, I think the guys fully based with a plan

we have no injuries! so many teams do, we win today even when playing shit, this is the supreme mark of a champion team when even in a slump

I think by the looks Nights is gone, sadly, but hopefully, but its for the best, watch for Mann to carve it up on the wing and give us more speed. also I think Lomax will get a crack then well turn things round again and get right out of this slump with an injection of youth to pick up the whole team

Dufty coming good in defence, I think were just about to crank it again, of course we can win it! were leading the comp more than halfway through a season
Good points nontime, but can Mary really throw nighty in the forwards against players like the three Burgess brothers, Storms Kasiano, Rorters JHW and Co,, etc, etc.

It's decisions like that, that will destroy our chances.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Fully fit we are contenders, but we are also 1 injury away from pretenders. IMO if we were to loose a Widdop, Hunt, JDB or Frizell then we are very fragile with limited options to cover due to the Coaches poor utilisation & development of the entire squad.
Opportunity can only be taken if given a trusting chance.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I don't think we're title contenders this year but we've defs shown that we're well on our way to it in the years to come. We played shocking tonight. 10 mins in with what feels like an eternity since the Penrith game, I though we'd smashes them by 40 easily, next thing you know we're winning by 2 against a team pushing for the spoon.

That being said, we had a form slump mid season in 2010 too and got it together after we played the Roosters at the SCG and started our run, so you never know.
At the beginning of the season, I said that I had us 4th pick, but I was concerned about Nightingale, Aitken and Lafai and was hoping that some of our youngsters got the chance to take their places and succeeded. I also said that I didn't think we would win the comp this year and that we could hopefully be working towards winning a comp in 2019 to 21. We are currently exceeding my expectation this year.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Anyone know how long a cork takes to fully recover?

Mate it varies depending on the severity. No different to a hamstring strain, they can go from 1 week to god knows how long. I had a cork earlier this year that took me about 3 weeks.. but I also don’t have a full time physio and medical team.

Most corks though shouldn’t last longer than 4 weeks. I think you’ll find Hunt is over the cork (given he had no strapping yesterday) and that ties into roughly that 4 week timeline .. remembering he did re-do it.