What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
Just put the money into building decent stadiums at Parra, Penrith, Manly and Cronulla.

Why should three single tenant stadiums get the funding?

This will still make ANZ a much better club ground, and when the top tier is actually in use it'll be for 'event' matches and people won't care where the seats are.

I think when all is said and done this will be a pretty good result.

Why should three single tenant stadiums get the funding?

This will still make ANZ a much better club ground, and when the top tier is actually in use it'll be for 'event' matches and people won't care where the seats are.

I think when all is said and done this will be a pretty good result.

Again, who will maintain them?

You both make good points in response to League XIII. Of the 4 areas named, 1 is already being redeveloped (i.e. Parramatta) and is the only one of the four used by more than one NRL team or by a team from another professional sport.

The maintenance angle is a valid question as two of the ground in the areas named (i.le. Penrith and Manly) are owned by the local council, and it is their negligence (and by other local councils) that have seen suburbuan grounds wind up in such a bad state. Fact is our local councils in NSW don't have the finances to maintain them at levels professional sporting codes want in relation to facilities.

As to Cronulla, the ground the Sharks use is privately owned. Why should public money be used to upgrade or maintain something that is privately owned? I would have this same opinion if it were the Roosters or any other NRL team for that matter.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Yeah, in an ideal world the clubs would all have their own high-quality stadium, like English soccer.

The reality is there just isn't enough money in professional sports in Australia for clubs to go it alone on 20,000 seater stadiums. This is a sport that is popular with ~50% of Australian sports fans. To suggest that 16 clubs are going to be able to raise the required money when there is a fan base of 12 million (and that's assuming everyone in the east coast is a footy fan - the reality is the number is much lower) to build and maintain state of the art facilities is just silly.

I was having a beer with two friends over the weekend, both big footy fans, and they were massively against the stadium re-builds as they don't see it as a responsible use of taxpayers money. There are a lot more people like that, sports fans who don't want to see public money spent on stadiums.

I think we should be grateful we're getting what we're getting, it is a big win for the sportsgoing public.

Suitman

Post Whore
Yeah, in an ideal world the clubs would all have their own high-quality stadium, like English soccer.

You're right about English Football.
Spurs currently building this. 62000 capacity.

DfGXu-cWAAAjleM.jpg

Timbo

Staff member
You're right about English Football.
Spurs currently building this. 62000 capacity.

DfGXu-cWAAAjleM.jpg

It looks fantastic. But, Tottenham also spent AUD$223 Million on player wages last year.

Illustrates why English football sides can build these things and we need to band together with other clubs and codes and ask the government very nicely for money for a new ground.

beave

Coach
You both make good points in response to League XIII. Of the 4 areas named, 1 is already being redeveloped (i.e. Parramatta) and is the only one of the four used by more than one NRL team or by a team from another professional sport.

The maintenance angle is a valid question as two of the ground in the areas named (i.le. Penrith and Manly) are owned by the local council, and it is their negligence (and by other local councils) that have seen suburbuan grounds wind up in such a bad state. Fact is our local councils in NSW don't have the finances to maintain them at levels professional sporting codes want in relation to facilities.

As to Cronulla, the ground the Sharks use is privately owned. Why should public money be used to upgrade or maintain something that is privately owned? I would have this same opinion if it were the Roostresr or any other NRL team for that matter.

Cronulla had gov money pay for the new southern stand....

morley101

Juniors
It looks fantastic. But, Tottenham also spent AUD$223 Million on player wages last year.

Illustrates why English football sides can build these things and we need to band together with other clubs and codes and ask the government very nicely for money for a new ground.

They also have about 30 home games a year,,, including FA and leagues cup games if successful.

8Ball

First Grade
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...per-events-at-moore-park-20180611-p4zkt9.html

Stadiums business cases: second best at ANZ and bumper events at Moore Park

The state government’s planned $810 million refurbishment of ANZ Stadium at Olympic Park would deliver fewer “blockbuster” events than a completely new stadium and would not result in the same increase in fan attendance, the government’s business case for the project says.

And the business case for a new stadium at Moore Park assumes that it draws more NRL fixtures from suburban grounds in Sydney.

The Berejiklian government was last week forced to release the full business cases for its controversial scheme of building a new 40-45,000 seat stadium at Moore Park for $730 million and refurbishing ANZ Stadium at Olympic Park into a permanently rectangular 70,000 seat stadium for $810 million.

That policy, however, represented a back-down on Premier Gladys Berejiklian’s prior position of wanting to build a completely new stadium to replace ANZ at Olympic Park, at a cost of $1.3 billion.

The business case for the project shows why the government first wanted to build a new stadium, committing to a smaller rebuild after public outcry about the cost of its overall policy.

According to the business case prepared by KPMG, a redeveloped ANZ Stadium would not meet the requirements of the Australian Rugby League Commission agreed in a memorandum of understanding with the NSW government, which meant there will be a “decrease in both the number and frequency” of blockbuster events hosted at ANZ Stadium. For instance, KPMG assumed one in every three NRL grand finals would be sold interstate.

The NRL has since committed to playing the grand final in Sydney for the next 25 years, while a subsequent internal government review found the assumption that Sydney would lose major events if it only redeveloped ANZ was too conservative.
Nevertheless KPMG assumed that redeveloping ANZ – as the government proposes to do – would likely lead to only a 10 per cent average increase in attendance. In contrast, building a completely new stadium would likely have led to a 15 per cent increase in attendance.

The assumptions about attendance increases came despite attendance at sporting events declining in recent years.

The business case for a new Moore Park stadium also assumes an average 15 per cent increase in attendance. And it relies on an assumed increase in the number of international and domestic fixtures.

For instance, the business case assumes that a new Moore Park stadium will deliver two extra major concerts a year, two “other events” a year such as US college football, one extra international soccer fixture a year and another international rugby league fixture.
The document also assumes that, if the existing Allianz Stadium was not overhauled, NRL clubs would have played at least three fewer fixtures a year there – or only 10 a year. In contrast, building a new stadium will result in at least 16 NRL games a year played at a new Moore Park stadium, the document assumes, rising from the current 13.

Labor’s sports spokeswoman, Lynda Voltz, criticised the assumptions for under-estimating the number of games currently played at the stadium, which made the case for a new stadium look better.

“For Allianz Stadium the government appears to have taken every care presenting the best possible case to ensure the Sydney Cricket & Sports Ground Trust gets a new stadium,” Ms Voltz said.

The government’s chosen option of a refurbished ANZ Stadium does not allow for a retractable roof to be fitted. This means Sydney will remain without a major stadium with a retractable roof; the roof at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne helped that city win the rights to host the US men’s basketball team in two fixtures against the Boomers next year.

The Sports Minister, Stuart Ayres, said: "The transformation of Stadium Australia will bring 46,000 fans closer to the action, provide roof cover for every seat and keep the NRL Grand Final in Sydney for the next 25 years."

Looks like the book is not closed on the stadiums issue. I hope all these lies continue getting exposed with Allianz's rebuild. A 45k stadium with all the bells and whistles + underground carpark is just not needed. The "safety issues" were obviously lies given what we know about how Ayres re-worded the announcements to the public.

30,000 seater at Allianz with the rest being spent on a better stadium (and vitalisation of the area) at the geographic heart of Sydney is clearly the better option.

Edit: Better yet..Allianz a 20k seater and make the Wallabies play at a brand spanking new top of the line stadium at Homebush in club mode.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Clubs are partly to blame for this. Maybe if Bulldogs and Tigers, St's and Sharks etc had got together to lobby for shared new stadiums with a commitment to being tenants it might have seemed more appealing to the NSW Govt? Lets be honest we are a 16 team comp and in reality there are probably only going to be 3-4 smaller sydney clubs who dont want to, or cant, move from their locations who are not going to be well serviced by their stadium after this next couple of years. 75% of clubs playing in new or fit for purpose stadiums is a good position.

Eventually Canberra will be sorted with a new stadium as well it looks like. IF the notion of a new Southern Sydney stadium ever gets up that will solve even more problems, IF the clubs agree to be part of it. That would only leave 2 clubs out of 16 with stadium problems, Panthers and Manly.

Lipstick on a pig, that’s all ANZ will be.

I’m annoyed too, but I honestly think it’s going to be a lot better.

Talk is the roof will have an almost 100% drip line & 43,000 seats will be closer to the action.

Only the top level will be unchanged, which only impacts 5% of events.

I think they’ve made a big mistake not building a stadium with a retractable roof though, doesn’t really impact rugby league much but for concerts and other potential indoor events it would’ve been good.

Last edited:
Looks like the book is not closed on the stadiums issue. I hope all these lies continue getting exposed with Allianz's rebuild. A 45k stadium with all the bells and whistles + underground carpark is just not needed. The "safety issues" were obviously lies given what we know about how Ayres re-worded the announcements to the public.

30,000 seater at Allianz with the rest being spent on a better stadium (and vitalisation of the area) at the geographic heart of Sydney is clearly the better option.

Edit: Better yet..Allianz a 20k seater and make the Wallabies play at a brand spanking new top of the line stadium at Homebush in club mode.

Moslty agree, but 20k is too small.

Needs some room for the tenants to grow. A replica of WSS would be perfect.

Cronulla had gov money pay for the new southern stand....

So? I don't agree with Government money being spent on things owned by private organisations. I don't care if it happened "before". It was wrong then and it is wrong now as the only people who directly benefit are the owners. As I said this is not about the Sharks, it is the principal of what Government money is spent on.

insert.pause

First Grade
The NRL should just go to the NSW government and say they don't want the stadium upgrades, instead offer a 50yr guarantee at $10m a year, paid upfront. It solves the NRL's asset problems and the stadiums will inevitably be refurbished anyway because they can't just leave them to rot & ruin and hope to secure international events & the tourism dollars that come with them. It solves the governments problems because they are suddenly saving a billion dollars. The NRL could also use some of the money to invest with councils to upgrade suburban stadiums. The stadium debate needs to shift away from people thinking it's solely at the benefit of the NRL, if they don't want to spend the money fine, but the GF isn't free.

insert.pause

First Grade
So? I don't agree with Government money being spent on things owned by private organisations. I don't care if it happened "before". It was wrong then and it is wrong now as the only people who directly benefit are the owners. As I said this is not about the Sharks, it is the principal of what Government money is spent on.
AFL wholly owned etihad stadium is being refurbished by victorian gov for $220m, now that's a rort!

johnny plath

Juniors
In financial terms the owners benefit, but don't taxpayers also benefit from better facilites, even though privately owned. Its a bit different to a lot of private entities in that it has a huge community element attached to that benefit.