What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mannering retires

Meth

Staff member
So many retiring from rep footy lately- obviously Smith. Darius Boyd. Mannering. Peter Wallace retired from all football today.

Russell Packer and Ben Matulino retired from rep too

sup42

Juniors
Packer and Mutts seems premature, one wonders if this test in the middle of the NRL season has curbed their enthusiasm (in which case we will see a reversal come world cup time...everyone likes to go to World cups...it's an extended boys camp).

While not the fanciest Kiwi rep, Mannering did a job and will be missed probably as much for his off field leadership and staying away from the temptations of tours.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Packet and Muts seems way to early.

Been good to see the Poms talking up international game when asked about origin.

www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/11/silence-deafening-from-kiwis-stars-about-chance-to-restore-pride-in-test-jersey/

Weird article. Our players sending mixed signals? Really? No examples. And who cares, the time for talk and blah blah we love the jersey are long gone, we don't buy that stuff anymore.

Having said that, the Denver Test is a crock of shit. Put it firmly in the who cares basket for me.

TheDMC

Bench
Yep, I'm a big fan of international rugby league but this Denver test is a farce.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Considering Simon has already said he’s considering retiring completely after this season it’s hardly surprising he’d want to scale things back to focus on club footy, he’s probably also got his eye on joining the 300 club before he hangs up the boots too and that’ll be easier without test commitments.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
We have signed on to it for 3 years.

Ugh. Presume this deal was done under Hayton? Surely they can wiggle out of it on incompetence on his part.

Maybe that's why Packer has retired, he knows he can't play those three years due to his conviction. And Ben's decided he can't be bothered either, which isn't unlike Ben.

sup42

Juniors
Going against the grain here, but from my pov any opportunity to wrestle control from Australia's ownership of the code is worth pursuing.

The very indifference shown by fans is the alarm bell for traditionalists like me, that the code has been left to be controlled by the propagandist State of Origin is the highest form of the game type thinking.

I am not trying to convince anyone here as to my world view, rather taking the opportunity to state my outlook.

I have seen a shift in thinking in my life time and the Warriors have played no insignificant part in that decline....they have by default taken the position of the flag bearers of the sport in NZ.

Australia is a country where insular sport creation (the AFL) is a real thing.

It is not a step too far to imagine were NZ and England, to continue to go along with the Status quo, that Internationals would die out completely or at least reach the state of decline where a game between say NZ and Australia would be seen in the light of a festival game ala the indigenous preseason Vs NRL All Star concepts.

That is the way we are heading if NZ and England do not assert their sovereignty and jolly well tell the NRL 'we are playing this game smack bang in the middle of your competition and we will play it on the bloody moon if we feel like it".

The US is an unfortunate venue, it would be misguided to imagine the game will have some great impact there, however in geographical terms it is actually a concession to the respective NRL and ESL competitions by taking their players to a midway point.

New Zealand and England have a better test history of close and hard fought battles, of pride, than any record of contests versus Australia - who in turn are quite happy to foster a system where they thrash all comers and there is no challenge to their dominance...they never tire of it...they have no altruistic 'what is best for the game' gene.

Both countries need to look at opportunities to promote their own game and bridge the gap of advantage the Australians garner from the hype of their interstate trial matches.

The tests are happening. They are happening for three years. Get on board or what really is the alternative ? close ones mind to any possibility of getting the most out the inevitable ?

God Defend New Zealand end rant.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
I don't like the Denver Test purely because it's disruptive to the Warriors season. Also, because after last year's World Cup, I'm not ready to cheer for the Kiwis yet.

Blair

Coach
I don't like the Denver Test purely because it's disruptive to the Warriors season. Also, because after last year's World Cup, I'm not ready to cheer for the Kiwis yet.

We're all different on here, I don't think I'd go across the road to see a Kiwis test, but I'll travel across Sydney to see the Warriors reserve grade side.

This disinterest in international footy happened about 1993 for me. The year before I went to the Kiwis v GB at the Showgrounds Oval (PN) and loved it. The year before that was one of my favourite games of RL, when the unfancied Kiwis rolled the 'Roos in Melbourne.

The famous Graham Lowe-led upset of the 'Roos at Lang Park, one Saturday night way back in 1983, is still my favourite ever game of league. The Kiwis were household names overnight.

I enjoyed Kangaroo v GB tests as well.

But it's all in the past. I wish it wasn't.

Meth

Staff member
I think I was more interested in International League before the Kiwis tasted real success (Tri-Nations, World Cup etc)...when it was a David v Goliath battle and the wins were occasional. Now that we've shown we be the best, it frustrates me when we perform so far away from there.

Meth

Staff member
Who is actually in with a shot of selection? RTS? Johnson? Blair? Harris? Luke?

Worst case scenario, we lose those 5.

Of course, that's a pretty bad scenario

Benek

Juniors
Jeez imagine how the Warriors would go missing RTS, Johnson, Harris, and Luke! That's not going to be a pretty sight.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm only commenting on this from the angle of it disrupting us...because I could honestly care more about the life cycle of the pygmy marmoset monkey than I do about international league.

RTS, SJ, Harris and Luke are walk up starters. Blair cannot be picked unless we're picking on some sort of weird loyalty thing which he didn't deserve after last year's World Cup rubbish anyway.

But it's truly f**ked that these guys get on a plane, I presume play the Saturday, all that travel under their belts then get back losing half a day or whatever it is time zone wise to play on the Friday v the Sharks. And I presume they'll fly back from Townsville as well? Auckland->Townsville->Auckland->Denver->Auckland six day turn around from the Test to our game, with 3 of our four spine players.

Honestly, the NRL can go f**k themselves with the way they devalue their main product. I'm well aware it's played into our hands in the past, I don't care. I'm arguing against the whole concept not just that it's affected us this year. Your 26 rounds and finals are the premium product, everything should sit around that so it doesn't impinge on it.

Izz

Bench
Blair cannot be picked unless we're picking on some sort of weird loyalty thing which he didn't deserve after last year's World Cup rubbish anyway.
Maguire's already said that while he's not going to pick a captain for this test, Blair will be the unofficial captain. So I guess he's gotten picked somehow...

Latest posts