What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tap on the Shoulder Time

Sharkman

Juniors
He was better Sunday than he was last week, but the Tigers are hardly the Rabbits pack are they?

I said it before and I’ll say it again. Gal doesn’t have more than 40 mins in him at 100% and he needs to come off the bench. At his age, with what his body has been through, he has to be at 100% for every minute. Again, no denying his passion, commitment and drive.

He’s tired, he’s old. We’re playing with house money starting him and playing him for such extended minutes. We need him for the finals.

Look at his career - in the toughest position in the game, he’s played 32 internationals, 24 Origin, 2 City and 2 NRL all stars to go with the 313 odd games for the Sharks. He’d be at well over 400 games played for his career if you included trials. He turns 37 in a couple of months.

We’re playing him just shy of 60 mins a game on average this season (taking out the 13 mins game he played when he got injured) with still another 11 regular season games to go.

Every player in every game he runs at for the last couple of seasons, tries to smash the crap out of him. They know he’s lost a step, lost some power, lost that almighty aura he’s held for the last few years and he can’t payback with interest like he would once do.
They go at him hard. He’s that much of a madmen that he never backs down, so he’ll take that hit up and get smashed again (just like origin).

Next season, if he plays more than 40 mins from the bench (which is what he should be doing now), it won’t doing us any good..or him.

Rest up old man, save yourself for the finals. You can’t physically carry the team the way you once did, but you can still lead by example. Hit hard and stick, no errors, no more than one run a set. Give the lads a rev up and inspire someone else on the team to lead the charge.

So, yeah, coifey and millers, he’ll still need a tap on the shoulder for next season.

RUBIKS

Juniors
I don't know how many of you were at the game... however Gal is slow and tired.

Yes he's a gladiator and yes he pushes himself, but he is slowing the whole team down in defense and in set plays.

Love ya Gal but please hang up the boots. Stats aren't everything and I don't want people baggin' ya out next year.

Next season, if he plays more than 40 mins from the bench (which is what he should be doing now), it won’t doing us any good..or him.

So, yeah, coifey and millers, he’ll still need a tap on the shoulder for next season.

Yesh I guess scoring the trys winning he tackle counts , locking up our middle 1/3, protecting Brailey, making the most post contact run metres & knowing how to change a games momentum is doing nobody any favours.

Gallen has forgotten more than he combined knowledge of this forum & quite possibly our coach. When its time for him to go, he will know. Right now , There is nothing stopping him for going around again next year. & seeing that he is due back NEXT WEEK from his knee injury, it makes the last 3 weeks even more extraordinary.
Tap on the Shoulder . bwahahahahahahhaha

I don't know how many of you were at the game... however Gal is slow and tired.

Yes he's a gladiator and yes he pushes himself, but he is slowing the whole team down in defense and in set plays.

Love ya Gal but please hang up the boots. Stats aren't everything and I don't want people baggin' ya out next year.

Totally agree.

With the slowness it’s the sideways movement in defence that shows up most.

If I was an opposition coach I’d be testing him out when he starts huffing with someone with some footwork and they would get some results.

Sharkman

Juniors
Yesh I guess scoring the trys winning he tackle counts , locking up our middle 1/3, protecting Brailey, making the most post contact run metres & knowing how to change a games momentum is doing nobody any favours.

Gallen has forgotten more than he combined knowledge of this forum & quite possibly our coach. When its time for him to go, he will know. Right now , There is nothing stopping him for going around again next year. & seeing that he is due back NEXT WEEK from his knee injury, it makes the last 3 weeks even more extraordinary.
Tap on the Shoulder . bwahahahahahahhaha

You say scoring the tries – I say one try (and don't understand the relevance).
You say winning the tackle counts – I say he’s averaging less tackles per game than at least Prior, Bailey and Fifs.
You say he’s locking up our middle 1/3 – I say his lack of agility and lateral movement is obvious. See how Reynolds set him up multiple times in the Rabbits game. Esp the first try they scored.
You say protecting Bailey - I say anyone next to Brailey has that job. Was he any less protected when Gal was off injured?
You say making the most post contact metres – I AGREE – he makes 3 metres more a game than Fif.

I tell you what I also 100% agree with - that he knows how to change momentum. Of course, not always for the better.

Y
You say he’s locking up our middle 1/3 – I say his lack of agility and lateral movement is obvious. See how Reynolds set him up multiple times in the Rabbits game. Esp the first try they scored.

Tap Tap. Tackle Efficiency 93.9%

Feefs( the best front rower in the world) 94.6%

I could go on comparing 3 of the best forwards in the game, but whats the point. The minds have been made up because of an arbitrary age , not of what is actually taking place on the field.
A half back stepping a 110 kg front rower happens at Storm V Dragons, the half back is brilliant, doing what he does , which is step big guys.
When a half back cuts inside a 110kg forward at Shark park, its the forwards fault. He cant move laterally. He old. Tap Tap.
It is far king RIDICULOUS!!!!!

Sharkman

Juniors
I could go on comparing 3 of the best forwards in the game, but whats the point. The minds have been made up because of an arbitrary age , not of what is actually taking place on the field.

It's precisely what is taking place on the field that is driving the discussion. As people have questioned the team performance, effectiveness, the answers have included Gals age and his performance. It's relevant discussion point.

You have a habit of grandiose statements filled with BS and personal opinion that you pass off as fact, in order to support your own position. Which is why I broke down your comments before. No need to compare, I've already done it. Your only valid point was Gal's post contact metres. The rest were simply not true or your personal view.

A half back stepping a 110 kg front rower happens at Storm V Dragons, the half back is brilliant, doing what he does , which is step big guys.
When a half back cuts inside a 110kg forward at Shark park, its the forwards fault. He cant move laterally. He old. Tap Tap.
It is far king RIDICULOUS!!!!!

It's contextual Coiffey, isn't it? In any case, my point about Reynolds was how he set Gal up. Gal didn't miss a tackle, because he never got there, nor could he get back across to close the gap when the inside ball came.

That gap would have been closed a few years ago with ease.

Yep, anyone who has ever played sport during their late 30s knows, the first thing to go is lateral movement. And every young kid playing against you knows it - regardless of what level you play at.

Gal plays. As long as he wants. Period. You blokes all scream about loyalty, show some back. Give him the good grace to go out on his terms. He skull dragged this team through some of the darkest years, yet you want to move him on. Drives me wild.

Omnishark2

Juniors
It's precisely what is taking place on the field that is driving the discussion.

Excellent analysis Sharkman - I agree with you 100%.

Gal plays. As long as he wants. Period. You blokes all scream about loyalty, show some back. Give him the good grace to go out on his terms. He skull dragged this team through some of the darkest years, yet you want to move him on. Drives me wild.
Gal will never know when the time is right to pull the plug - it's his competitive instinct.
Of course Gal will forever be a Sharks legend.
But he is obviously slowing down this year, despite any cherrypicked stats.
It's about what's best for the club - and that is for Gal to have a great swansong year in 2018, and go out with respect that fits his legend. Don't try to squeeze out the last 0.01% in 2019 and embarrass yourself.

Exhibit A : Mick Ennis - his retirement was all class

Mich Ennis retirement was DOLLARS based. Ennis could have played for another 2 years, however with positions arriving in Fox Sports, he got out befoe the likes of Thurston, Smith, Cronk, etc to grab the very few positions in media available. To which he has excelled & is possibly the best expert in the game. There is no doubt we would have progressed in better shape last year with Ennis.
All Clas? pffft.
Cherry picked stats bwahahahaha I like that. Pick any stat you like.

110%.
Loyalty is not a Cronulla supporter trait. in fact you read threads like this & you feel like you are in the ST George forum. The greatest Shark ever getting tapped on the Shoulder , because bennet made it cool.

bluefox68

Staff member
I don’t know him, although I have met him. But, mate, he’s given everything for this club. I told him we appreciated it!!!

I reckon he wants to at least equal ET’s record for games played, and he deserves to.

Also, he’s not stupid. I reckon he WILL pull the pin, but it’d be great to see him get the record.

Unfortunately, someone here said we have to lose a finals game and make the GF for him to do it this year...

bluefox68

Staff member
110%.
Loyalty is not a Cronulla supporter trait. in fact you read threads like this & you feel like you are in the ST George forum. The greatest Shark ever getting tapped on the Shoulder , because bennet made it cool.
I DO disagree, though, about loyalty. We are THE most loyal fans!!! 50 years of nothing, and we still would be here, even if we hadn’t won...!!!

Card Shark

Immortal
I know some people find you and stakes constant insipid repetitive waffle on this forum boring but .....

“Gals time is up”

That’s as hilarious as your rediculous “sack Fifita” comments

You LU arm chair critics are definitely the best value for money entertainment on the internet

His time is up.

He is a shadow of his former great self.

Yes he could go around again but he will end up like Thurston this year.

In regards to Fifita, I never wanted him sacked but I sure as hell wanted him pulled into line (for his own good)...coach must’ve had the same opinion & look at the benefits.

Latest posts