What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sione

Loose Cannon

Bench
No argument from me about Sione not featuring in our full-strength backline in 2019, although I do think he will ultimately fill Brown's desire for a bench backrower who can also cover centre (like he desperately wanted Wardle to be last year).

This year though, getting Sione and Watson switching places in defence should prove to be a very worthwhile decision.
I have been very critical of Sione this year. I do see a lot of potential, especially at 15 coming on with Levi after 25.

Noname36

First Grade
Everyone saying since Ramien is coming in Sione will have to make way for backrow or bench...

We have 2 centre positions...

And it’s not like Moga, Ross or Dennis have locked the other one down.

I do think Moga has the potential to provide a lot more impact than Sione but I’m really doubtful he’ll be able to push himself back in the side in front of him. I really hope we haven’t seen the last of him because it’s awful seeing a player do their ACLs that many times but if we’re to be honest he wasn’t really playing much better than Sione to start the year anyway. They were both really struggling defensively and now he’s had a season injured while Sione keeps improving...

I really don’t agree with the majority that it’s a sure thing that Sione will be making way for Moga/Ross/Dennis next year. I think Brown may see him developing at centre or there really isn’t much reason to re-sign him when his head couldn’t handle the hits of the backrow. Re-signing him to play backrow or bench would be a massive waste of money if he’s concussed every game.

I do agree he was originally moved to centre as a stop gap because we had nobody else but I’m not convinced the plan is still to certainly move him.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Everyone saying since Ramien is coming in Sione will have to make way for backrow or bench...

We have 2 centre positions...

And it’s not like Moga, Ross or Dennis have locked the other one down.

I do think Moga has the potential to provide a lot more impact than Sione but I’m really doubtful he’ll be able to push himself back in the side in front of him. I really hope we haven’t seen the last of him because it’s awful seeing a player do their ACLs that many times but if we’re to be honest he wasn’t really playing much better than Sione to start the year anyway. They were both really struggling defensively and now he’s had a season injured while Sione keeps improving...

I really don’t agree with the majority that it’s a sure thing that Sione will be making way for Moga/Ross/Dennis next year. I think Brown may see him developing at centre or there really isn’t much reason to re-sign him when his head couldn’t handle the hits of the backrow. Re-signing him to play backrow or bench would be a massive waste of money if he’s concussed every game.

I do agree he was originally moved to centre as a stop gap because we had nobody else but I’m not convinced the plan is still to certainly move him.
If he defends better at left centre, good luck to him. It isnt the missed tackles where he makes some contact that is the issue.

Noname36

First Grade
If he defends better at left centre, good luck to him. It isnt the missed tackles where he makes some contact that is the issue.

He’s not defending at centre, he’s been defending 3 in and Brown seems happy with him, hence the club re-signing him. Regardless of our own personal opinions re Sione (and they vary greatly) I’ll be surprised if Brown isn’t seriously considering leaving him at centre next year, especially since we don’t have any other stand out candidates unless we make another quality centre signing like Ramien. The club isn’t re-signing him to play backrow. It would be a terrible waste of money with his concussions when we have better options there anyway and Brown and Mooney seem to be smart operators when it comes to this.

Noname36

First Grade
Surely having Sione and the half on that side of the field changing positions in the defensive line is a good thing for the remainder of the year? Sione's weaknesses are lateral movement and decision making, which aren't as glaring when he defends in closer to the action. If Watson is comfortable defending in the centre's position, than it's a win-win for the team.

I don’t know why we’d change something that’s working.

All this “the centre should defend at centre” business is bullshit...if it’s working for the team leave them be...

Loose Cannon

Bench
He’s not defending at centre, he’s been defending 3 in and Brown seems happy with him, hence the club re-signing him. Regardless of our own personal opinions re Sione (and they vary greatly) I’ll be surprised if Brown isn’t seriously considering leaving him at centre next year, especially since we don’t have any other stand out candidates unless we make another quality centre signing like Ramien. The club isn’t re-signing him to play backrow. It would be a terrible waste of money with his concussions when we have better options there anyway and Brown and Mooney seem to be smart operators when it comes to this.
So, do you think he plays left centre next year? If so, why isnt he there now?

Burwood

Bench
All I know is, whatever position Sione plays, I hope he gets a full off season to prepare for it and doesn't get shifted around because of the club's lack of depth. He's been a victim of his own versatility his entire career so far and deserves the opportunity to cement a position.

Noname36

First Grade
So, do you think he plays left centre next year? If so, why isnt he there now?

Because he’s currently our best option in the right centre position...as evidenced by himself individually and in combination with Ponga cutting through the Roosters defence easily on the weekend.

That will change when Ramien gets here but I still think Brown has Sione in mind for the other centre spot otherwise we weren’t going to re-sign him when he was playing in the forwards and picking up regular concussions.

Do you think Brown has re-signed him to play in the back row knowing his concussion history?

Loose Cannon

Bench
Because he’s currently our best option in the right centre position...as evidenced by himself individually and in combination with Ponga cutting through the Roosters defence easily on the weekend.

That will change when Ramien gets here but I still think Brown has Sione in mind for the other centre spot otherwise we weren’t going to re-sign him when he was playing in the forwards and picking up regular concussions.

Do you think Brown has re-signed him to play in the back row knowing his concussion history?
Firstly, I may be missing the news, but looking across the vast spectrum called the Internet, I have yet to find any evidence a deal has been confirmed. If anyone can point me to that evidence, I apologise for being out of the loop.

Secondly, last week he did no more at centre than he would running as an edge forward, (Fitzgibbon says hi), on the right side. The side his entire career has seen him play. The week before, his try was from a Levi inside ball near the posts, and held up a second time the exact same play. Putting him on the left, this season or next, I am guessing nobody can foresee the results.

Thirdly, re his concussion issues, if it is a problem he shouldn't be playing at all, both for his own wellbeing and team structure. And if he can defend 3 in, they have already come to the conclusion it isn't an issue.

Fourthly (is that a word?), I have seen people on this forum claim he has played well the last 5-6 weeks, when clearly it has only been 2 (very good), and of which the previous 4 weeks, with the exception of Ponga, feeding any of them would be considered very generous.

He has a spot in my squad, just not at centre. He is a terrible read in defence. Gagai worthy. We are short on depth in the forwards too. It is where I think he is best utilised.

What do you honestly think of, hopefully everyone available:

1. Ponga
2. SKD 5. Ross
3. Ramien 4. Moga
6. Watson
7. Pearce

13. Guerra
12. Sione 11. Fitzgibbon
10. D Saifiti 9. Griffin 8. Ese'ese

14. Levi
15. Barnett/Buhrer/Yates
16. J Saifiti/King
17. Glasby

Pedge1971

First Grade
On Sione, I think he has shown that he can be a terrific first grade centre. He's never going to have flashy footwork or acceleration (though he's not slow) but he runs terrific lines and is strong.
I think he can make a career in the centres where he is less likely to be concussed
OR
He can move back into the backrow where I believe he has a MUCH higher ceiling but there's the added risk of concussions.

Out of interest why do u think he has a higher ceiling in the backrow than centre?

Pedge1971

First Grade
I'm not sure a centre that can't defend at centre is a terrific first grade centre. Crazy thought I know.

Bench next year with Levi and two props.

Quite a few centres running around in origin this year at centre who many have claimed cannot defend at centre. Just sayin....there is a thing called improvement.

Not sure a 21 yo has improvement in him though eh? In this team he has till the end of the year ffs give him a break and see whether he can make a go of it over a full season.

I hate some of his defence this year too mate. But unless you have a better option right now support the kid cause unless he gets better we wont...

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
Firstly, I may be missing the news, but looking across the vast spectrum called the Internet, I have yet to find any evidence a deal has been confirmed. If anyone can point me to that evidence, I apologise for being out of the loop.

Secondly, last week he did no more at centre than he would running as an edge forward, (Fitzgibbon says hi), on the right side. The side his entire career has seen him play. The week before, his try was from a Levi inside ball near the posts, and held up a second time the exact same play. Putting him on the left, this season or next, I am guessing nobody can foresee the results.

Thirdly, re his concussion issues, if it is a problem he shouldn't be playing at all, both for his own wellbeing and team structure. And if he can defend 3 in, they have already come to the conclusion it isn't an issue.

Fourthly (is that a word?), I have seen people on this forum claim he has played well the last 5-6 weeks, when clearly it has only been 2 (very good), and of which the previous 4 weeks, with the exception of Ponga, feeding any of them would be considered very generous.

He has a spot in my squad, just not at centre. He is a terrible read in defence. Gagai worthy. We are short on depth in the forwards too. It is where I think he is best utilised.

What do you honestly think of, hopefully everyone available:

1. Ponga
2. SKD 5. Ross
3. Ramien 4. Moga
6. Watson
7. Pearce

13. Guerra
12. Sione 11. Fitzgibbon
10. D Saifiti 9. Griffin 8. Ese'ese

14. Levi
15. Barnett/Buhrer/Yates
16. J Saifiti/King
17. Glasby

1. Both Danny Buderus and Barry Toohey have said that we’re close to finalising a new deal with Sione. Both very well placed for Knights info. If the deal doesn’t end up being confirmed it isn’t confirmed but it’s clear that the club are wanting to re-sign him which they stopped wanting to do when he was playing in the forwards which tells me that they see him as a longer term option at centre now rather than a stop gap.

2. You seem to be fixated with the number on players backs. No there isn’t a big difference in how he would be playing at back row...but the massive difference is that him running at blokes 1 further position out has stopped him getting concussed every game, and to me that is a huge deal. I get that a lot of supporters don’t like him, but wanting him moved back to a position where he picked up regular concussions is too much. Like you said, he was able to come into the middle for his try last week and still be effective, so I don’t think switching to the left if that’s the best option for Ramien and the squad would be too difficult for him. Lots of players are able to switch and play on the other side of the field, none of which has played in more positions than Sione.

3. It’s not “clear” that he’s only played well in the last 2 weeks. That’s just your personal perception of the games you’ve seen. And others have their own...including the players who made him their players player a few weeks back.

4. You’re saying Sione is a no-go for centre next year because of his defence even though they’ve found a way to improve the situation significantly but to you Moga is the clear option? I don’t know if you saw Moga play much before he was injured but he wasn’t doing much better defensively than Sione and his effort was a real worry and now the poor bloke will be out for a year after his third ACL. Hugely optimistic to feel that he’ll be able to play again let alone be good enough to be the first pick over Sione, Ross and even Dennis at this stage.

5. This isn’t even my personal option talking but what I feel Brown is thinking. It’s been clear that Sione has trimmed down a lot to improve his speed and agility. Do you really think Brown has encouraged that if he thinks he’s back in the forwards next year where we weren’t going to re-sign him anyway? I really doubt it. He doesn’t strike me as a coach that’s that irresponsible by his players.

Loose Cannon

Bench
1. Both Danny Buderus and Barry Toohey have said that we’re close to finalising a new deal with Sione. Both very well placed for Knights info. If the deal doesn’t end up being confirmed it isn’t confirmed but it’s clear that the club are wanting to re-sign him which they stopped wanting to do when he was playing in the forwards which tells me that they see him as a longer term option at centre now rather than a stop gap.

2. You seem to be fixated with the number on players backs. No there isn’t a big difference in how he would be playing at back row...but the massive difference is that him running at blokes 1 further position out has stopped him getting concussed every game, and to me that is a huge deal. I get that a lot of supporters don’t like him, but wanting him moved back to a position where he picked up regular concussions is too much. Like you said, he was able to come into the middle for his try last week and still be effective, so I don’t think switching to the left if that’s the best option for Ramien and the squad would be too difficult for him. Lots of players are able to switch and play on the other side of the field, none of which has played in more positions than Sione.

3. It’s not “clear” that he’s only played well in the last 2 weeks. That’s just your personal perception of the games you’ve seen. And others have their own...including the players who made him their players player a few weeks back.

4. You’re saying Sione is a no-go for centre next year because of his defence even though they’ve found a way to improve the situation significantly but to you Moga is the clear option? I don’t know if you saw Moga play much before he was injured but he wasn’t doing much better defensively than Sione and his effort was a real worry and now the poor bloke will be out for a year after his third ACL. Hugely optimistic to feel that he’ll be able to play again let alone be good enough to be the first pick over Sione, Ross and even Dennis at this stage.

5. This isn’t even my personal option talking but what I feel Brown is thinking. It’s been clear that Sione has trimmed down a lot to improve his speed and agility. Do you really think Brown has encouraged that if he thinks he’s back in the forwards next year where we weren’t going to re-sign him anyway? I really doubt it. He doesn’t strike me as a coach that’s that irresponsible by his players.
1. Yes, I understand the deal is imminent, I just read your comments as though you were saying it was confirmed. I hadn't heard anything official and was genuinely asking for clarification.

2. It isn't the number, it is the natural position of each individual player I am concentrating on. A generation ago, the centres played inside/outside and passed both ways, stepped both ways, fended both ways dependant on which way the play was going, (certainly players favoured one side, but got equal opportunity at both). The game hasn't been structured like that in these guys lifetime, and I don't agree "lots of players are able to switch". There are few outside backs, like Josh Morris for example, capable of playing either side at a comparable level. If he is capable of switching to the left, and is a better option there than Moga, etc, then I wish good luck to him, like I posted before.

3. Souths, Penrith, Gold Coast, Cronulla.
Ponga looked/looks like a star, as always.
Largely unnoticed performances from Guerra re tackle count, as always.
A few sparks here and there. Mostly abysmal, (the whole squad, Sione included).
My opinion, controversial I know.

4. In addition to #2, agree Moga is a worry health wise, hope he comes back strong and I do have reservations. But if he does, and manages to force his spot over other options, who misses out?

5. I agree with your assessment of Brown's responsibility towards his players. But this concussion issue I have always believed is a result of a flaw in his tackling technique. I don't think hit-ups were ever the problem. He doesn't get knocked out as much because he has been missing cold all year, rushing up and taking nobody. Now he has been moved in he is making contact, and does look much better for it. If he can do it from there, and now he seems fit, I think he can still play edge forward predominantly, and have the utility value if the backline needs to be reshuffled.

The Levi assisted try does show he can play closer in, why is it that he can do it from centre, yet the reverse situation (back row shifting wide) is not possible.

I am trying to find a spot for him that balances the team if everyone is available and in form. I really don't think this slimmer physique will hamper his attacking runs, especially if he learns to consistently run lines like Fitzgibbon. When you have guys like Ponga causing defensive lines to hesitate that much, the contact is against guys on the back foot. Moving him to the back row means you can have Levi on the bench with three boppers. At centre, I think we have to carry someone who can fill in the backline should someone go down, and as much as I rate Buhrer's heart, he is not the ideal centre replacement, and I would much rather carry the size than a Levi/Buhrer double.

Woosh

Head Moderator

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au...n-qa-part-i-june-30-transfers-and-recruiting/

Lol just delete your account.
You’re an embarrassment.

Latest posts