What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super league structure 2019 super 8s gone

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dont be silly, this is English RL, it is a written law you have to change the league structure every 4-5 years or when a new CEO comes in. Next up will be the debate to go to 14 teams to deal with the lack of TV content.

deluded pom?

Coach
They actually let Elstone make the announcement even though the RFL had no idea it was coming. Welcome to RL Mr Elstone.

adamkungl

Immortal
They actually let Elstone make the announcement even though the RFL had no idea it was coming. Welcome to RL Mr Elstone.

One thing Leeds boss isn't wrong about - it was definitely a power grab by the SL bosses. Whether that is a good or a bad thing remains to be seen.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I liked the super and middle 8's but I can see how it is confusing to the casual sports fan that doesn't follow RL closely.

I hope Toulouse and Toronto go up this year and Catalan stay up - that will then mean that the English contingent drop from 11 to 9. Whilst this seems bad for England on the surface, it actually creates much stronger SL teams as the top talent squeezes into 9 teams and should create a much more intense SL. The French teams should be able to fill themselves with French talent and ex-pats and Toronto will pick up what they can from around the world, but will have a bit of cash to spend. It could be the most interesting SL season in history.

siv

First Grade
I would drop overseas teams

Let the English champions have a post season playoff with the French champions

The begining of a Euro champions league

Pommy

Coach
I liked the super and middle 8's but I can see how it is confusing to the casual sports fan that doesn't follow RL closely.

I hope Toulouse and Toronto go up this year and Catalan stay up - that will then mean that the English contingent drop from 11 to 9. Whilst this seems bad for England on the surface, it actually creates much stronger SL teams as the top talent squeezes into 9 teams and should create a much more intense SL. The French teams should be able to fill themselves with French talent and ex-pats and Toronto will pick up what they can from around the world, but will have a bit of cash to spend. It could be the most interesting SL season in history.

Lol no, the talent will still be spread around 12 teams those teams will just have a larger geographical spread. It’s not like Canada or France and going to overnight start producing enough players to fill up these teams.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Lol no, the talent will still be spread around 12 teams those teams will just have a larger geographical spread. It’s not like Canada or France and going to overnight start producing enough players to fill up these teams.

Toulouse have a squad full of Frenchmen now - I'd imagine that quite a large percentage will stay (not all of course).

Pommy

Coach
Toulouse have a squad full of Frenchmen now - I'd imagine that quite a large percentage will stay (not all of course).

I hope so as well I’m just not that confident it will happen. Toronto are certainly a good length of time away from being able to field a Canadian looking squad. I have no issue with that either but it is worth noting.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
RFL denies Super League claims of confirmed structure changes from 2019 - http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/44468711

Seen that, it makes the sport look like a laughing stock when it's governing bodies are contradicting each other and grand standing at the others expense. 1 up 1 down seems fair enough to me as it allows clubs to be ambitious to reach the top flight through performance and a simple home and away season reduces the silly amount of games being played.

deluded pom?

Coach
Seen that, it makes the sport look like a laughing stock when it's governing bodies are contradicting each other and grand standing at the others expense. 1 up 1 down seems fair enough to me as it allows clubs to be ambitious to reach the top flight through performance and a simple home and away season reduces the silly amount of games being played.
It’s not a simple home and away season. They have promised Sky X amount of games and to make up the shortfall they are playing randomly drawn matches. SL shouldn’t have made an announcement without informing the RFL first.