What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FO Foran

JJ

Immortal
We have been saying all year our forwards are not up to the job.
Putting a couple of rookie halves behind that pack and expecting them to lead the team to victory is just plain stupid.
That said, the way the recruiting is going, one rookie half is going to get the job next year.
Hence one should be playing now...

Iafeta

Referee
I liked SJs comments about our typical and very easily expected choke against Manly. You could tell he's fairly annoyed with Foran. Said it was so stupid after Fus' break to not just jamming it up the middle but instead Foreign shovels it off to the flank.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
We have been saying all year our forwards are not up to the job.
Putting a couple of rookie halves behind that pack and expecting them to lead the team to victory is just plain stupid.
It seems to me that the forwards lack of go forward is a overlooked factor when analysing why Foran didn't do so well BUT its reverted when the youngsters don't go so well. In a builders analogy - its like blaming the house for crumbling when the foundations were never stable and some of us keep blaming the house.

Foran didn't live up to my expectations either. Mason and Ata, in their recent games, have EXCEEDED my expectations yet they still make mistakes. Put them behind a decent pack and they might find the NRL more fun as oppose to being a "Worrier" where they're always under pressure so I totally know what you're saying. Its what Ive said at the start of the year in one of my posts when I posted my thoughts as to why Shaun Johnson wasn't doing so well was because our pack was hardly ever rampant. I agree and totally know what you're saying.

What my posts boils down to, is that Im just stating the reality of what these players have done, where they're at and extinguishing anything unfair to these guys efforts.
...one rookie half is going to get the job next year.
I might sound critical of the rookies but believe me when I say that Im with you a 100% on your quote above.

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I liked SJs comments about our typical and very easily expected choke against Manly. You could tell he's fairly annoyed with Foran. Said it was so stupid after Fus' break to not just jamming it up the middle but instead Foreign shovels it off to the flank.
Dufus move from Foran.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
From a fan of another team I see him as being a bad thing for the Warriors, but the Warriors probably being a good thing for him. It is a very nice story but it won't win you a premiership, or see you make the finals, taking in all the homeless dogs. Perhaps Doyle's relationship with Foran played a bit too much in this I'm thinking.. Maybe if it were a commitment for more than 1 season, but this deal has done no good to the Warriors. Coulda missed finals with a rookie.

I don't wanna be divisive but was Doyle doing all he could to get Foran over there for a season in the best interests of Foran or the Warriors?

Foran is not all to blame, obviously. I think your #9 could think of a million places he'd rather be, and I'm not sold on SJ - he's terrifically talented but the grind of RL needs more than the odd moment of brilliance.

Its almost impossible for you lot to punt ANOTHER coach, but SK ain't gonna fix a damn thing. The Warriors need a big clean out and attitude adjustment which unfortunately will take a couple years to do. But its feeling like no coach with that ability would touch ya's with a 10ft pole.

I really do like the Warriors, for many reasons. So I'm not bashing them. Just wish they'd get it right.

Nice post mate. I think you've hit the nail on the head on most parts.

I dunno whether this is a knee-jerk or being that it's happened now that it sticks in my memory, but I honestly believe Foran is up there as the worst big-name signing in our history. You're right, Doyle overclouded his job as CEO, which is to win football games, by signing someone to set us up as a halfway house for troubled footballers. Our dunce coach even said it - that we signed him on a personal level first, football second. I still remember the 'oh f**k, what a dumb thing to say' feeling when I heard it.

The #9 would rather be at a buffet or a spacies parlour, incidentally.

And yes, our coach stinks.

Only thing I'd disagree with you on is SJ. Bloke has made every post a winner in every decent environment he's played in - trouble is he hasn't been in one at club level since 2011. The fact we generally compete with him in the side says a lot, given we are utterly shit when he's not. Plus I think he's a guy trying to lead, trying to work hard but he's surrounded by incompetency.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Warriors say good riddance to Foran

Kieran Foran only stayed one season at the Warriors, but he left a lasting legacy - of sorts.

"He is the most difficult, rude and disagreeable person I've ever dealt with," a veteran Warriors official told me.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F11%2F14%2F06%2F24%2FForan_0904_a_1000.jpg

The Warriors have not shed too many tears over the loss of Kieran Foran to the Bulldogs. (AAP)

"He won't be missed by anyone at the club - good riddance."

After a disappointing return to football at the Warriors in 2017, Foran will be looking to regain his best form at the Bulldogs next season.

Iafeta

Referee
Sounds like he is an epic jack off. It'd be tremendous if that quote came from Jim Doyle. With the benefit of hindsight I'd hope being as successful in making business decisions in his life that he has been that he would unequivocally not make that decision again. I think he let the cat out of the bag at the end of the season where he said that Foran hadn't provided anywhere near the mentoring he thought he might to Lino and Hingano.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Sounds like he is an epic jack off. It'd be tremendous if that quote came from Jim Doyle. With the benefit of hindsight I'd hope being as successful in making business decisions in his life that he has been that he would unequivocally not make that decision again. I think he let the cat out of the bag at the end of the season where he said that Foran hadn't provided anywhere near the mentoring he thought he might to Lino and Hingano.

Yeah, I don't know what changed with him but it's a real shame because potentially he was going to be one of the kiwi greats. Came in as one of the best blokes you could come across, but something has obviously put him offside with rugby league, and the stories I heard about him at the end of his stint with us weren't great at all, and from the outside it looked like as soon as the ink was dry on his Dogs contract he pulled up stumps this season

Iafeta

Referee
He's very much a case of where there is smoke there is fire. I feel a bit for Jim, I think he was probably genuine in wanting to help him and him thinking he'd get a good return on investment, but I think Foran duped him from the get go. Imagine if we had resigned him. Imagine if we get to a point where someone like a Fusitua or RTS, dudes who have talent and who have a go, or a Mannering were forced out because Foran would've earned top dollar if he stayed. We would have given a lot up to keep someone who after his first two games just couldn't be bothered.

I still lol that he announced he wasn't available for the Kiwis. Newsflash son, I think TMM and Nikorima, as young as they are, have got you covered for the 6 jersey.

JJ

Immortal
So yet again, why the f**k did the master coach have him as an automatic selection??

Much better to give the youngsters a run for development

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Apparently the Dogs are working behind the scenes to get Foran medically retired

Win/win for both parties, Foran would get every cent of his contract and the Dogs would have his salary wiped off their cap instantly for the next few seasons

Seems dodgy as hell to me, but I'm sure with Toddy running things the Doggies will be ok

Whichever way it goes, it is a sad wind down to a career that started out with him looking like an all time kiwi great

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
Apparently the Dogs are working behind the scenes to get Foran medically retired

Win/win for both parties, Foran would get every cent of his contract and the Dogs would have his salary wiped off their cap instantly for the next few seasons

Seems dodgy as hell to me, but I'm sure with Toddy running things the Doggies will be ok

Whichever way it goes, it is a sad wind down to a career that started out with him looking like an all time kiwi great

If that is allowed then what is to stop clubs massively back ending contracts with a secret arrangement with the player to medically retire the last year... some salary cap relief is likely fair but only a proportion.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
If that is allowed then what is to stop clubs massively back ending contracts with a secret arrangement with the player to medically retire the last year... some salary cap relief is likely fair but only a proportion.

100% agree, and it opens a big can of worms, and complete inconsistency across the clubs. Last season we had to pay Matai and Stewart full coin and counted on the cap even though they were finished with injuries, while the year before Watmough signed with Parra and after 6 games was allowed medical retirement by the NRL

Can go back further to 2010, Dragons sign Gasnier for 3.5 years, the .5 on minimum wage, and after they won the comp he retired and the Dragons were let off the 3 years of big money while only paying the minimum for a world class centre for half a year

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
That's dodgy and shouldn't be allowed. It was BAD management to sign a player so injury prone to such a large and long-term contract. They shouldn't be bailed out now due to their own incompetence.

No one bailed out the Knights when they had salary cap issues and were coming last, they turned it around with GOOD management.

Time for the dogs to do some GOOD management to get themselves out of the rut.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
With Gasnier was he ever actually paid the big money for the final 3 years from any source? If not then I’m fine with that- the Dragons paid him the agreed amount for the half year he actually played, the rest of the cotract was cancelled. There’s no double dipping going on there.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
With Gasnier was he ever actually paid the big money for the final 3 years from any source? If not then I’m fine with that- the Dragons paid him the agreed amount for the half year he actually played, the rest of the cotract was cancelled. There’s no double dipping going on there.

I don't think he was paid the dough, but the length of the contract and the money for those final 3 years helped the deal get registered from memory, because it was seen as not paying unders the full length of the deal. Had the Dragons wandered on with minimum wage for half a year only it is highly likely the deal wouldn't be allowed due to paying under market value

Latest posts